Intel Corporation CAD ENgineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Intel Corporation CAD ENgineer Interview Questions

3.1

8 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR) in September 2015.

Interview

Got referred by a friend to a team manager. The team manager liked my resume and scheduled a phone interview with me. Phone interview was mainly informing me about the job requirements and if I was interested and if I was willing to relocate to Intel Hillsboro location in Oregon. I showed interest and then an on-site interview was scheduled within a week. The onsite interview was an entire day. It started with a presentation of my PhD dissertation work for an hour, then 6 technical/behavioral interviews with a lunch break in between.

Some initial interview advice:
    Learn these algorithms by heart: bubble-sort, selection sort, insertion sort, merge sort, quick sort, breadth first search (BFS) , depth first search (DFS)
    Learn basic data structures: Linked lists, hash tables, stacks, queues, heaps, binary search tree
    Learn basics concepts: Recursion, memory: stack vs heap, tail recursion, dynamic programming. C++ classes stuff like inheritance, polymorphism etc,

You can use the "cracking the coding interview" book to learn most of the aforementioned stuff.
    Important note: Practice coding everything on a piece of paper, not on your computer. This will help build confidence and make the interview process go much smoother.

I interviewed with Intel twice. First, a frame automation engineer position. The interview went horrible because I lacked confidence due to not practicing on paper beforehand and when they asked questions I fumbled a lot and time ran out. I wasn't given an offer for this position.

The second position I interviewed for was a CAD engineer position. This interview went much better and I received an offer for this position.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions at Intel depend on the position you apply for. There are usually two types of questions: Questions based on your research, and coding/analytical questions.

Frame automation engineer interview questions:

Coding questions:
      Write bubble sort, BFS, DFS, algorithms
      Write a recursive function to find a prime number

Analytical questions:
      C1. Given a coordinate, how would determine if a coordinate lies within a set of coordinate that form a polygon (the problem is harder than it sounds)

C2. Given an NxN rubiks cube, write an equation to determine how many cubes are on the outside

CAD engineer interview questions:
      Analytical Questions
      C3. How would you represent a set of polygons using a data structure - basically a layer in VLSI
      C4. Given a set of polygons, determine if the distance between them crosses a given lamda value (DRC related VLSI question)
      C5. Give an example of the hardest bug you encountered and what you learned after debugging it.
      C6. Given two sets of coordinates, for each coordinate in one set, determine the closet coordinate in the other set. (determine in nlogn complexity)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Portland, OR) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied in Spring but call from the hiring manager in the start of fall. I had a phone interview with three people, one was the manager , other two were the team members. Each interview was about half an hour long.

Interview Questions

• It was a mix questions rangin from semiconductor designing to puzzle to c++   Answer Question

CAD Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Intel Corporation.

Interview

Process is fast and quick, phone screen followed by a day of technical interviews on site. Usually interviews are performeds by two teams to find the right fit for the candidate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Portland, OR) in November 2013.

Interview

Call for interview from job fair. Initial phone interview and then an onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• 3:8 Decoder using single line of verilog code   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR) in June 2012.

Interview

Initial email soliciting interest from hiring manager was followed a week later by request for phone interview with the pre-screen call being 1 week later (1 hour long). Phone interview was casual. No real technical questions as they pre-screened for a level of programming proficiency; looking for personality and behavioral fit to role. Their request to setup a day-long interview was done quickly. Week later on-site interview. On-site started with presentation to group of prior research (1 hour), then 1:1 interviews (x5) with a lunch break with hiring manager and a member of the team. Again, no real technical questions; all behavior and fit questions. Three weeks later contacted by hiring manager with offer decision (yes). 1.5 weeks later contacted by HR with actual offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Portland, OR) in March 2011.

Interview

There was a phone interview first and the interviewer asked very basic questions. Some of them are
    1. How do u decrease delay of a long wire.
    2. Which combination of inputs gives best delay for 2-ip nand gate. which combination gives the worst delay?
    3. How do u do analog layouts? Different Techniques? and few more on my thesis

After 1 week i was called for an on-site interview and i was interviewed by 6 people from the team.

3 Rounds were mostly from my resume, thesis etc.. adn perl/C
    1 round was on C++ basics
    1 round was on algorithms . Some layout algorithms
    1 round was on device physics and regular intel interview questions

Interview Questions

• Write a perl program which takes a spectre file as an input and calculate the total capacitance at a specific node.   Answer Question
    • How does the drain current vary with temparature? how do you layout a capacitor?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR) in October 2010.

Interview

I was interviewed as an experienced candidate and the interviewers were fully conscious of my experience level. At times they were even surprised at the depth of understanding I have of various things.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was interviewing at a time when the industry was in recession. Negotiation was almost impossible. If I didn't take their offer, I was left with one other offer that was not much better.

CAD Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Guadalajara, Jalisco (Mexico)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Guadalajara, Jalisco (Mexico)).

Interview

Interview consisted of very basic circuits questions. Design a three resistor voltage divider. Give the circuit and transfer function of a low pass filter, and a BJT question. They also asked about software experience: what was my biggest software project.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Everything was non negotiable.