Intel Corporation Hardware Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 5, 2017

3.1

81 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Intel Corporation in September 2015.

Interview

Talk to an engineer at school career fair, discussed my project and technical expereinces and he said he will review resumes got an email the same day for oncampus interview.

Interview Questions

• design an FSM to detect the sequence of '110' and draw state diagram, how many flip-flops to implement the FSM, miller vs moore machine   Answer Question
    • Draw a static cmos NOR gates, size it with reference to the 2:1nverter.
      Name the source of parasitic capacitance
      Identify types of power comsumption during transition
      Affects on device performance with an increased threshold voltage   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Folsom, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Folsom, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

There was one screening round regarding my internship experience and the job requirements to check if there is a match.Had second round setup for technical interview for about 1 and half hour. It was kind of go through Resume, Cache, Coherence, STA and simple design questions. Heard back in a week for an onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• Cache, Coherency, Virtual Memory, FSM for Overlapping and non-overlapping sequence detectors. Given the waveforms fora set of 3 signals, deduce the final circuit, find the bug in the system where the system specs are given with the output waveforms, System Verilog and OVM based questions as i had mentioned it on my Resume (through internship).   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Intel Corporation in September 2015.

Interview

Nice, friendly interview. Started immediately asking technical questions. Ended with a few questions about my profile. Interviewer tried to help me guide towards the answers. Asked general questions about undergrad and PhD programs at my university.

Interview Questions

• Why are high-k dielectrics used, what is Vdd scaling, run time for binary search tree insertion.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Intel Corporation in September 2015.

Interview

applied online.
    Got the email from the manager saying a team member will be taking my interview.
    One hour interview via phone call. Very simple and straight forward questions.
    Few days later, i got background verification forms. once they were filled, i got email from HR saying that she is extending the offer on behalf of my manager. After accepting the offer, i was given the onboarding forms three weeks before.

Interview Questions

• Pipelining, How have you used assertions in SV?, Perl basics.
      Basic digital design questions   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Intel Corporation in September 2015.

Interview

Sent resume through referral. I had a phone interview. He asked basic questions from all the courses and projects mentioned in my resume. He also asked about the various tools used.

Interview Questions

• What is pipelining/Meaning of CPI/Caching/Branch prediction/Verilog questions/SoC basics/Embedded Systems fundamentals   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Intern position for summer 2016. I received a phone screen call about two weeks after university career fair. Didn't ask a lot technical questions, but some basic verilog and c++ questions.

Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Intel Corporation.

Interview

There were several technical interviews covering various aspects of computer architecture, micro architecture, RTL, physical implementation. There were also interviews on compilers, systems, software, algorithms and programming. All interviews were professional throughout the process and allowed me to ask them questions too. They also evaluated abilities to work in a diverse team and the ability to work with remote teams.

Interview Questions

• Describe how register renaming is done and what the various options are.   Answer Question

Graphics Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Intel Corporation in June 2015.

Interview

First a phone call followed by an onsite for 5-6 hours. Phone call was about all basic concepts of set up and hold, fifo depth, conversion of gates from one to another, cross clocking domi=ain issues, hazards, branch prediction etc..

Interview Questions

• All about computer architecture, VLSI,FIFO depth, cross clocking domain   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Folsom, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Folsom, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied trough my friend. After 3 months, I got a call for phone call interview (1hr). I answered all the questions. Next day, I got confirmation for Onsite Interview. I had 10 days to prepare. After 2 days, I got the confirmation.

Interview Questions

• Phone call Interview:
      Physical Design Flow.
      What problems did you face ?
      How to remove Setup violation ?
      How to remove Hold violation ?

Unix commands:
      ls, cp, grep
      what is the command to check processes running ?
      How to run process in background ?
      softlink command
      how to check disk usage ?

Perl questions:
      chop vs chomp
      array, hash, default scalar sign.
      what is th difference between array and hash when we do indexing ?

Logic:
      he gave me one boolean exp to solve.
      latch vs flop
      sram vs dram ? which one is volatile?
      D FF using MUX
      D FF operation

Comp Arch:
      pipeline ? cache ? virtual memory ? TLB ?
      what is the set size for fully associative cache ? Direct associative ? he had given me configuration.

Verilog:
      blocking vs nonblocking
      initial block ? always ?
      FSM for 0101. moore vs mealy ?(mealy is prone to glitches. This is what he wanted to hear)
      verilog code for DFF.

Physical:
      electromigration. setup. hold time, skew ?
      effect of length, width, thickness on resistance.
      effect of temp, voltage on Delay.

Onsite:
      First round: she was also Trojan :-) (USC Fight On)
      tell me about urself. why this transition ? (undergrad in Elec&tele, job in software and MS in EE)
      Physical Design flow ?
      what to do to remove setup violation? Hold violation ? sizing, MOS structure, VI curve, effect of voltage on delay, temp on delay ?
      problem on setup and hold using delay values.
      power minimization techniques.
      She was going in depth. Thats it.

Second round:
      Unix commands: how to find .txt files, copy files from one directory to another.
      find files with particular string.
      how to execute unix commands in perl script ? (ANS: use exec before each unix command and done)
      use strict ?
      what is tht #! usr/bin/perl we write at the start of program ?
      C vs perl ?
      Read the file(set up vioations). there are 1000 lines in that file. Print 5 worst delays.
      array vs linked list with respect to memory allocation.
      pipeline ? stages ? which CPU is better ? 1GHz vs 2 GHz.

Third round:
      Physical design flow.
      behavioral:
      situation when you had conflict with your friend. how you handled situation.
      how you divide work while working in group.
      how will you avoid conflict ? (Divide work)
      how you do finish work before deadline?
      when you start working on something, you get some problems, you solve it then how do you avoid same mistake in future.(I will note it down. he wanted to hear this)
      skew, seup time, hold time.

Fourth round:
      Physical Design Flow, synthesis steps, APR steps, problems related to setup and skew.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Buffalo, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I had applied online for the job position based on my skills and knowledge in Electrical Engineering / VLSI domain and I got a call that there would be a telephonic interview tomorrow. So i prepared for it whole night and give it . But unfortunately i was rejected. If i would have passed the phone round of interview i would have 1 more on site interview which lasts for about 4 to 8 hours.