Intel Corporation Process Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Intel Corporation Process Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Dec 8, 2017

414 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR) in August 2017.

Interview

My friend who works at Intel referred my resume and the hiring manager contacted me in about a month. He scheduled a phone interview which took place a week later.

During the phone interview, the hiring manger started describing the job responsibilities. Then he asked me about my research. Questions were all centered around my research and focusing on problem-solving skills. No behavioral questions were asked. At the end of the phone interview, he said he will get back to me next week. The phone interview was conducted on Friday and I received an email on the following Tuesday, saying that I was invited for an on-site interview at Hillsboro, OR.

Like other people have mentioned here, the onsite interview was a day-long process (from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm). The hiring manager who phone-interviewed me greeted me at the front desk and we moved to the cafeteria to continue our conversation, which lasted about half hour. He clarified the job responsibilities again and emphasized the on-call duty. I had two interviewers before I gave my PhD dissertation presentation that morning. One of the interviewers was a group leader and he asked me a lot of behavioral questions. The other interviewer asked me both technical and behavioral questions and later he led me to the conference room. All the people who interviewed me and would interview me all presented in the conference room, except the hiring manager. My presentation got delayed due to some technical issues but it went well overall. Those interviewers asked me questions all related to my research along with some statistics questions. After that, two engineers took me out for a lunch. I asked them about work/life balance at Intel and how they like the work environment, etc. There were three interviewers after the lunch. Two of them asked me specific technical questions. For example, one asked me to draw a chemical vapor deposition diagram and explained where the pump is located. Then, he explained a situation and ask me how to trouble-shoot the problem. The other interviewer did a similar thing. She asked me how to trouble shoot a thin-film deposition problem when there is non-uniform deposition.

At the end of the day, my escort told me that I have to wait for 6-8 weeks to find out the result. I waited for four weeks and the HR represented called me to deliver the offer. We discussed the details, such as compensation and benefits. The next day I received the official offer letter.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions:
      1. What's your greatest weakness?
      2. When you have a disagreement with your supervisor/adviser, how do you react?
      3. Have you had any hands-on experiences of trouble shooting a machine/tool? What did you do?
      4. What can you contribute to Intel?

Technical questions:
      1. Describe a situation where you have had to overcome a problem or obstacle in order to move forward with something. What did you do?
      2. Tell me about a problem that you've solved in a unique or innovative way. What was the outcome? Were you happy or satisfied with it?
      3. What is your biggest challenge during your research, and how did you overcome this challenge?
      4. How does a SEM work? Show me a diagram.
      5. Draw me a CVD diagram and explain how the system works.
      6. If a CVD system has a much higher pressure than the set point, how will you trouble shoot the problem?
      7. If you receive a data set showing a film uniformity, how will you check the machine?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR) in September 2017.

Interview

First hiring manager called over a phone. He briefly explains about the job position responsibility. Phone interview was about 30 minutes long. Then I had phone interview with staff scientist. It was about 40 minutes long. He asked me about my PhD thesis. More details on what types of work I did and what was the impact. I enjoyed the conversation.

Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Intel Corporation.

Interview

I submitted my resume to a hiring manager, then he called me one day to proceed phone interview right after he asked me available for talking or not. Phone interview went through my resume around 30 min. Then I went to on-site interview after couple weeks. The interview was scheduled a 45min talk for my research, and meeting with different engineers. Each session takes around 45 min. The first engineer introduced the job description in details and kept asking me "are you ok with 24/7 on-call job". I said absolutely every time but I dont know why he kept asking me. The hiring manager didnt join the seminar, then he asked about my research in his session. He didnt spend too much time on research, and he asked me questions. He asked something from the textbook which I know where to find but I dont memorize. He asked how this thing related to my research. I told him my research is not involved this so I dont have an answer right now but it will be interesting if studying the relation. Then he asked me to think right now. I was stuck because I only remember the concept but not the details. Otherwise I was asked behavior questions as usual.

Interview Questions

• How to apply dimensionless group when you learn from Chemical Engineering to your research?   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Intel Corporation.

Interview

Phone screening with hiring manager, followed by onsite interview. Back to back 1:1 interviews with 1 hour presentation in between and 2 hour lunch break with Intel employees. Mixed of technical questions on PhD research and situational question.

Interview Questions

• Go over resume, Explain a time in grad school where you encountered technical challenge   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR) in July 2017.

Interview

Applied online, eventually got emailed by a hiring manager to schedule a phone screen. The phone interview was pretty tough, nearly an hour of fairly intense and detailed (mostly) technical questions. Was invited to interview on-site at the end of the call.

Interviewed on-site in Oregon a couple weeks later. The interview was four one-hour sessions with a two-hour lunch break with company employees. One session was a presentation on my thesis research, the others were Q&A with 1-2 employees each (last one was with the hiring manager). Everyone I interacted with was very friendly and asked a mix of technical and behavioral questions, most of which are covered in other reviews on this site. Lot of emphasis on conflict resolution and troubleshooting/repairing equipment. Be prepared to ask them questions, especially during the lunch. I thought I did well and would've been happy to work there, but was informed the next business day that I would not be receiving an offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you disagreed with your boss.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Portland, OR) in July 2017.

Interview

First I got a phone interview with the hiring manager, he asked lots of questions related to CMOS devices and logic. The next day I got an onsite interview in Portland, OR. There I had a personal interview with 8 engineers and 2 hiring managers. The questions were focused on problem solving and basic CMOS theory. Also there was 1 hours presentation about the PhD research and I received lots of interesting questions. After 1 month from the interview, I followed-up with the hiring manager and he informed I was not selected for further consideration.

Interview Questions

• How to properly scale the PMOS and NMOS transistors in a SR-cell   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Interview

2 phone screening interview with onsite after that, talked with 8 persons 1 hr for each
    1 hr presentation. lots of behavior question. talk about your research and how much you know about the skill required.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR) in June 2017.

Interview

Received a phone call for onsite interview after completing the on-campus interview.
    The onsite interview lasted for one whole day, including mainly one-on-one interview with engineering managers and process engineers and also an hour of my PhD thesis presentation.

Process TD Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied through a campus recruiter in March 2017. The next day I received an email asking for a phone interview. The phone call lasted ~15 minutes. Half of it involved the Intel engineer telling me about the company. I was asked only one interview question: to describe one piece of equipment I have worked with. I went into as much detail as I could and was actually cut off by the interviewer for giving him more information than he needed.

At the end of the call I was told that I would hear back after 2-3 weeks. However, the next day I received an email inviting me to an in person interview at the Hillsboro, OR site. The interview was scheduled for 2 months later in May 2017.

The in person interview lasted all day (7:30 am to 5:30 pm) and included a fab window tour, 45 minute seminar of my PhD research, lunch, and 11 one-on-one 30 minute interviews with various engineers, group leaders, and an area manager. The one-on-one interviews were more so casual conversations, but some common questions to me included explaining my research (slide printouts from my seminar greatly helped!!), why do I want to leave my current field, why do I want to work at Intel, how do I troubleshoot malfunctioning equipment, how do I deal with conflicts, how do I deal with stress/pressure. At the end of the day, I was told I would hear back in 2-4 weeks with the results. After 4 weeks, I received an offer of employment.

Interview Questions

• Why do I want to leave my current research field to work at Intel?   Answer Question

Process Engineer/PTD Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Portland, OR) in May 2017.

Interview

Brief Background:
    A friend forwarded me an email from an Intel recruiter who was looking for candidates at their university. As a shot in the dark, I emailed my resume describing why I believe I would be a good fit for the role. After 10 days I got an email from the recruiter asking if I was interested in a phone interview.

Phone Interview:
    2 days later I had my phone interview. The first 45 min were a lot of questions about my grad school research, conflict resolution, team work, instrumentation etc. The technical questions tested my grasp on the scientific aspects of my research (i.e. a PhD proposal/thesis defense type of questions) as well as a my knowledge (scientific and operational) of the instruments I used during my PhD. Behavioral questions required me to give specific examples of: conflict resolution with PhD advisor, mentorship of junior team members, dealing with difficult team members, personal weaknesses and their remediation etc. Overall, the interview was quite thorough and the recruiter came across as a knowledgeable and friendly person. It was made clear that the position is not a research-based on, but rather a process engineering one. For the last 15 min, I was encouraged to ask questions about the role and the company.

10 days after the phone interview, the recruiter emailed me a week later to tell me that I was being invited for an on-site interview (Portland, OR) and asked for my availability amongst 3 dates (3, 4 and 5 weeks out). The interview day was also briefly described (seminar and 1-1 interviews with team members). ~3 days later I received an email for a background check from Intel HR. Since I had not received any confirmation about interview date (from HR) after a week since I gave my date preference, I emailed the recruiter, who followed up. 2 days after that, I got an email from Intel HR initiating the procedures to bring me on-site. A week before my interview, the recruiter sent me a detailed email (schedule, directions, etc.) for my interview.

On-site Interview:
    In addition to preparing a research talk for a broader (technical) audience, I worked on revising various material science concepts, semiconductor processes and putting down all the instrument troubleshooting I had performed over the course of my PhD. Moreover, glassdoor reviews also gave me an idea about the typical questions.
    The day started at 8a with a meeting with the recruiter (host) who conducted the phone interview. Briefly, I was told what to expect from the day and given a more detailed schedule with names of people I would be meeting. My first interview was with the area manager (AM; 2 levels up), who asked me general questions about my PhD research and what I wished I could have done additionally/differently during my PhD. This was followed by my seminar which included ~7-8 people; most of them would interview me later in the day. I was asked a lot of probing questions on my research by everyone. The questions were of varying technical depths similar to those you would get at a scientific conference/PhD program talks. I could only finish ~70% of my talk in the 1 hour that was allotted, due to continuous questions. Overall, make sure your talk can be understood by a general PhD-level audience, don’t try to present all your PhD results and plan for interruptions.
    The other interviews that followed (total 6), were with group leaders (1 level up) and PTD engineers (same level, different years of experience). The questions were similar to the ones in the phone interview, but I got mostly technical questions.

General Questions:
    Which one of your PhD projects would you like to see being pursued further, why?
    Describe the set-up you made/used in the lab? What were the challenges?
    Principle of operation of XRD(Derive Braggs law) and SEM. What are the types of electrons generated? Which atoms (lighter or heavier) look brighter/darker in the image? How many atoms are there in a unit cell for the material I used in my PhD. How do I get a P-type or N-type semiconductor? Specific instance of instrument troubleshooting and in-detail description of what you did. Why do you want to work for intel? Are you interviewing at other companies?

Overall, I was glad that I took the time to prepare; I thought the interview went quite well.

I had lunch with the relatively new PTD engineers who talked about their experience working at Intel. Definitely a good time to get a feel for the work-culture and time commitments.

I got the offer after 4 weeks; accepted since the people I met on-site seemed happy at the jobs (despite the hectic nature of the work).

Overall, I was very happy with the interview process and credit goes to my host who was very prompt and well-organized.