Intel Corporation Interview Questions in Oregon | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 20, 2017

611 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Process TD Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied through a campus recruiter in March 2017. The next day I received an email asking for a phone interview. The phone call lasted ~15 minutes. Half of it involved the Intel engineer telling me about the company. I was asked only one interview question: to describe one piece of equipment I have worked with. I went into as much detail as I could and was actually cut off by the interviewer for giving him more information than he needed.

At the end of the call I was told that I would hear back after 2-3 weeks. However, the next day I received an email inviting me to an in person interview at the Hillsboro, OR site. The interview was scheduled for 2 months later in May 2017.

The in person interview lasted all day (7:30 am to 5:30 pm) and included a fab window tour, 45 minute seminar of my PhD research, lunch, and 11 one-on-one 30 minute interviews with various engineers, group leaders, and an area manager. The one-on-one interviews were more so casual conversations, but some common questions to me included explaining my research (slide printouts from my seminar greatly helped!!), why do I want to leave my current field, why do I want to work at Intel, how do I troubleshoot malfunctioning equipment, how do I deal with conflicts, how do I deal with stress/pressure. At the end of the day, I was told I would hear back in 2-4 weeks with the results. After 4 weeks, I received an offer of employment.

Interview Questions

• Why do I want to leave my current research field to work at Intel?   Answer Question

Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR) in May 2017.

Interview

Interview was on site. Coding questions in any language. Basic codes like searching through lists and calculators. White board questions and also started off with a written test. Interviewers were helpful and supportive. Overall 8 hours at Intel office. Also included lunch interview which was very informal. They flew me in and gave accommodation because I was coming out of state.

Process Engineer/PTD Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Portland, OR) in May 2017.

Interview

Brief Background:
    A friend forwarded me an email from an Intel recruiter who was looking for candidates at their university. As a shot in the dark, I emailed my resume describing why I believe I would be a good fit for the role. After 10 days I got an email from the recruiter asking if I was interested in a phone interview.

Phone Interview:
    2 days later I had my phone interview. The first 45 min were a lot of questions about my grad school research, conflict resolution, team work, instrumentation etc. The technical questions tested my grasp on the scientific aspects of my research (i.e. a PhD proposal/thesis defense type of questions) as well as a my knowledge (scientific and operational) of the instruments I used during my PhD. Behavioral questions required me to give specific examples of: conflict resolution with PhD advisor, mentorship of junior team members, dealing with difficult team members, personal weaknesses and their remediation etc. Overall, the interview was quite thorough and the recruiter came across as a knowledgeable and friendly person. It was made clear that the position is not a research-based on, but rather a process engineering one. For the last 15 min, I was encouraged to ask questions about the role and the company.

10 days after the phone interview, the recruiter emailed me a week later to tell me that I was being invited for an on-site interview (Portland, OR) and asked for my availability amongst 3 dates (3, 4 and 5 weeks out). The interview day was also briefly described (seminar and 1-1 interviews with team members). ~3 days later I received an email for a background check from Intel HR. Since I had not received any confirmation about interview date (from HR) after a week since I gave my date preference, I emailed the recruiter, who followed up. 2 days after that, I got an email from Intel HR initiating the procedures to bring me on-site. A week before my interview, the recruiter sent me a detailed email (schedule, directions, etc.) for my interview.

On-site Interview:
    In addition to preparing a research talk for a broader (technical) audience, I worked on revising various material science concepts, semiconductor processes and putting down all the instrument troubleshooting I had performed over the course of my PhD. Moreover, glassdoor reviews also gave me an idea about the typical questions.
    The day started at 8a with a meeting with the recruiter (host) who conducted the phone interview. Briefly, I was told what to expect from the day and given a more detailed schedule with names of people I would be meeting. My first interview was with the area manager (AM; 2 levels up), who asked me general questions about my PhD research and what I wished I could have done additionally/differently during my PhD. This was followed by my seminar which included ~7-8 people; most of them would interview me later in the day. I was asked a lot of probing questions on my research by everyone. The questions were of varying technical depths similar to those you would get at a scientific conference/PhD program talks. I could only finish ~70% of my talk in the 1 hour that was allotted, due to continuous questions. Overall, make sure your talk can be understood by a general PhD-level audience, don’t try to present all your PhD results and plan for interruptions.
    The other interviews that followed (total 6), were with group leaders (1 level up) and PTD engineers (same level, different years of experience). The questions were similar to the ones in the phone interview, but I got mostly technical questions.

General Questions:
    Which one of your PhD projects would you like to see being pursued further, why?
    Describe the set-up you made/used in the lab? What were the challenges?
    Principle of operation of XRD(Derive Braggs law) and SEM. What are the types of electrons generated? Which atoms (lighter or heavier) look brighter/darker in the image? How many atoms are there in a unit cell for the material I used in my PhD. How do I get a P-type or N-type semiconductor? Specific instance of instrument troubleshooting and in-detail description of what you did. Why do you want to work for intel? Are you interviewing at other companies?

Overall, I was glad that I took the time to prepare; I thought the interview went quite well.

I had lunch with the relatively new PTD engineers who talked about their experience working at Intel. Definitely a good time to get a feel for the work-culture and time commitments.

I got the offer after 4 weeks; accepted since the people I met on-site seemed happy at the jobs (despite the hectic nature of the work).

Overall, I was very happy with the interview process and credit goes to my host who was very prompt and well-organized.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Portland, OR).

Interview

I had one on campus interview with two people from Intel Corporate Accounting. Two people came to campus and asked me behavioral quesions about how i reacted when put into several different types of situations, and what i learned.

Interview Questions

• Mainly behavioral questions, tell us about a time when you dealt with someone difficult.... stuff like that   Answer Question

PTD Module Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Portland, OR) in May 2017.

Interview

One hour presentation, followed by 4 round of half an hour interviews with lunch squeezed inbetween the 1st and 2nd one. There were technical questions on the presentation but nothing too difficult. Most people seemed easy to talk to and were frank about the expectations of the job.

Interview Questions

• What kind of instrumentation I had experience with   1 Answer

Process Technology Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Portland, OR) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview process was quite straight forward. Intel does a really good job when it comes to interviewing. There was a presentation for 1 hour which was mainly on the research. In this presentation, they try to see the analytical skills and also what kind of approach a person takes in research. Some of the questions were quite intense and the panel asked so many questions that I was unable to finish my entire presentation. Even though the questions might make you furious, keep it calm. After this, there was one on one interviews related to technical stuff and behavioral stuff followed by a tour of the facility and the lunch. After this, there will be a managerial round which is like a mix of all these roles. If you know your research well enough you should be fine.

All the best!!

PTD Waste Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR) in May 2017.

Interview

It was a phone interview followed by an onsite interview. Onsite consisted of a research presentation, followed by 4 interviews (1 hour each) including one interview with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• What was an act of kindness bestowed on you?   1 Answer

PTD Module and Yield Integration Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR) in April 2017.

Interview

Three Part Process
    1st Part-Initial screening: forwarded my resume to an email that was circulated in our department from Intel. (All other forms of forwarding did not work!!)

2nd Part-Technical Interview: After about one week of forwarding the resume, I received an email from one of the technical stuff asking for a technical interview. It was an hr long interview with questions from topics related to my PhD, instruments that I used, basic principles of them, troubleshooting experience, equipment ownership, problem solving etc.

3rd part- Onsite interview: after 3 days of the technical, I was invited for an onsite interview which happened after one month. It gave me plenty of time to prepare for it. It was a day long interview with a 45 min presentation at the beginning of the day, then 30-45 mins one-one interview with different member of the technical team. It was a pleasant experience for me. I really enjoyed talking to them as it felt more like a conversation. Questions were similar to the technical interview. Make sure you know everything that you have put into your resume. During lunch, three members of the technical team escorted me and gave me a broad overview on the lifestyle, benefits, vacations, leaves, work stress etc. At the end of the day, the final interview was with hiring manager who basically gave a brief overview of the different component of TD department and how it fits into broader picture of Intel. At the end, the manager hinted me that if they would not select me, I would know by a week, otherwise, I will hear back from HR in 2-4 weeks time.
    In the 4th week, I received an offer from them.

Interview Questions

• 1- Conflict with labmates/advisor?
      2- Managed a team? your Experience.
      3- Problem solving
      4- Safety
      5- Questions from Resume   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR) in April 2017.

Interview

The entire process took about 2 months. I met the recruiter at NSBE 2017 conference and the next day got an interview with one of the hiring manager. The following week I heard from the same manager for an onsite interview. In two weeks I visited Intel Portland OR campus.

1. Started from 8 am with meeting the same manager who interviewed me at the conference.
    2. There was an hour long presentation Ph.D. research. There were some interesting questions but basics. Most of the audience of the presentation was same who are going to take my one on one interview.
    3. After the presentation, there were 5 one -on- one interview with Managers and area managers. Overall it was very casual talking and asking about conflict managements etc. some technical questions. One interviewer did her Ph.D. somewhat similar to what I did and she went nuts asking questions but I did calm her down!!! phew....
    4. There was a two-hour lunch with process engineers. Best time to learn as much as you can about the Intel, work culture, work life balance etc.
    5. After onsite, I waited 4 weeks but haven't heard back. So, I emailed the manager who invited me for onsite. He replied saying to give them 2-4 more weeks. Eventually, after 7 weeks I got email and phone call discussing the offer and later same day the offer.
    6. Overall, it's definitely a long process. Just be patient and keep applying until you hear back from them. If you did well, you will definitely hear back!

Interview Questions

• Technical from the Ph.D. presentation and Behavioural:
       One Interviewer seemed very interested in nanoscale heat transfer in porous media (something he did in his Ph.D. too). That's the only 1 hour of technical questions   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

Phone interview:
    Got a phone interview with a manager two days after I submitted my application. The interview was technical/behavior related, pretty straight forward. Be ready for the questions about trouble-shooting skills and equipment you have handled during graduate school. At the end of the call, I was invited for an on-site interview which was scheduled two weeks after the phone call.

Onsite interview:
    Like everyone mentioned here, it was a all day process (8:30am-4:30pm). It started with the manager who did the phone interview with me. He quickly ran down the schedule for the day and talked more about the responsibilities and expectations (on-call duty) of the job. The following interview includes an 1-hour thesis presentation, 2-hour lunch, and 6 one-hour sessions with different managers. They really focused on trouble-shooting skill, handling equipment and conflict. During the 2- hour lunch, it was really a great opportunity for you to ask questions about the job, intel, work-life balance. Everyone I talked to was very nice, they made sure I felt comfortable and asked if I needed water or need to go to bathroom multiple times.

At the end of the day, I was told I would hear back with results between 4-6 weeks. At the end of 5th week, I got email asking for background check information and visa status. After 7 weeks, I got the phone call to discuss about the offer, and the offer next day. I did not negotiate because the offer itself is very competitive.

I had multiple recruiters reached out to me for the offer which is a bit confusing. Just want to put it out here that you might expect to be contacted by different recruiters during the process for the same position.

Overall, it was a great experience. I felt comfortable and relax during the interview. Everyone who interviewed me seems happy to work there. I also saw people in the hall way and they all looked satisfied.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you did not agree with your adviser, and how you convinced him/her to go with your idea?   Answer Question