Intel Corporation Senior Process Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 8, 2017

3.2

47 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR) in March 2013.

Interview

First, got one phone interview for an engineering position with group No. 1. This one was very basic and informal, and most of the time was spent chatting about the company itself, my previous experience, and the details of the job.

Second interview was on-site with group No. 2. After the phone interview they had apparently passed my resume on to a different group, but it wasn't exactly clear. The interview lasted for a full day and consisted of nine back-to-back interviews in the cafeteria, with a break for lunch off-site. I had to be escorted everywhere, even to get a coffee or to go to the bathroom, and saw virtually nothing of the company except the cafeteria and a conference room. They couldn't even tell me what I would be working on, beyond the most general or basic of terms. At the end of the day I was expected to give an hour long presentation on my PhD research. Exhausting.

Most questions were technical, like "can you describe how XYZ works," but there were also a few questions like "if you had a problem with a co-worker, what would you do?"

Portland is great, the pay would be good, but I was not impressed with the job itself. These people are expected to put in 60 to 80 hours a week, possibly more if needed, plus be on-call 24/7. And, since it's a huge company that makes very precise, reliable devices, the engineering jobs require extreme specialization.

The process engineering job interview focused heavily on real-world problem solving skills. They wanted someone who had lived in the lab, who had owned a tool, and had solved complicated experimental problems on it. Theoretical or academic knowledge was not a priority.

Interview Questions

• "Describe your most difficult problem in the lab, and how you solved it."   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Intel Corporation

Senior Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Intel Corporation in May 2007.

Interview

Intel has a standard questions booklet they select questions from to test your individual apptitude and personality. They will also ask you to give several examples of situaitons you've been in that were confrontational, difficult, challenging, etc. It is helpful to have such examples prepared beforehand. I was also asked a very difficult technical question that involved semiconductor processing, but few of the other candidates reported questions as complicated as mine.

Interview Questions

• Can you think of an example of where you had to deal with a supervisor or superior was resistant to accept your opinion or any changes you suggested?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Raleigh, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

general questions about thesis, what are the expectation, what would you do in difficult situation, what if manager is racial and mean, what if coworkers are not working and you notice

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Chandler, AZ) in March 2012.

Interview

I submitted my resume in the system, and I got a phone interview with an engineering in 30 minutes regarding my research. After I passed a phone interview, I got on-site interview. There are three other candidates with different engineering backgrounds. We took turns to interview with 4 team members and finally got an interview with a hiring manager. After all interviews were done, and we presented our research to the team members. It was a day-long process.

Interview Questions

• Difficult questions were coming from the current technical issues they had been experiencing in the process. Basically, how can we dispose polymer in the packaging process when certain sets of devices and conditions were given? The velocity of a dispenser and the amount of polymer are key outcome while varying temperature, viscosity, and configurations of polymer. You have to know about the relationship between viscosity and force and the characteristics of polymer. Another important thing that you should remember is how temperature is affecting the shear force of polymer. There are rare happenings of brimming over the die package specification. You should know about why it is happening, how you can handle it, and what might be the solution techniques at least in a brief format.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR) in October 2011.

Interview

Full Day interview from 8.30 to 4.30 pm followed by a 40 minute presentation

Interview Questions

• Random Chemistry questions and general lifestyle habits etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Santa Clara, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

My advising professor received an email from a former student saying he was looking for recent/soon-to-be graduates in Mechanical Engineering. I sent him my resume and the next day had an hour phone interview, consisting of the details of my engineering experiences and what I wanted to do in my career. The next week I had an informal interview in Santa Clara, mostly consisting of more questions about my engineering experiences, and a thorough tour of the facilities related to the position and a lot of detail about the specifics of the job (the hiring manager was very concerned both that I was a good fit for the job and that the job was a good fit for me). The next week I came in for a formal interview, consisting of a 30 minute presentation of my engineering experiences to the group and a series of one-on-one interviews with each member of the group. The questions weren’t too difficult, with the exception of a few technical questions (by the younger members) and one interviewer who had some sort of sheet of standard (mostly behavioral) interview questions for a process engineer.

Interview Questions

• Most unexpected: what are the 2 golden rules of an op amp (I’m a mechanical engineer)?   2 Answers

The job sounded amazing, but I got another offer for another (also amazing) job which had a much better location with regard to family and affordable housing.

Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR) in September 2012.

Interview

After applying to several positions online and getting turned down, I finally got a phone interview from a group leader. During the phone interview I was asked to describe my research as if doing so to someone outside of my field. I was given 10 minutes to do so. Thereafter, the interviewer asked questions about some of my publications that he seemed to have already read before hand. He then proceeded to ask some tough random questions related to my optics background.

Right at the end of the phone interview, I was offered an onsite interview which I scheduled for the week after. The onsite was in Hillsboro, Oregon and comprised of a 45 minute presentation followed by questions. That was then followed by 9-10 one on one 30 minute discussions with various group members and other group leaders. I was also interviewed by the area manager who was the boss of the group leaders. All the interviews happened in the cafeteria, which made things less tense.

Ps - It is worth mentioning that the phone interview was my second with Intel. The first one had happened a week earlier with a different group leader, but somehow I got turned down for an onsite later that week. Intel recruiters tend to follow up on people like who get turned down, which is how I think I obtained the second interview (with a different group leader) a week or so later.

Interview Questions

• what was the numerical aperture of such and such lens in your experiment? Tell me about the Michelson-morley experiment?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate as the offer was very impressive all the way down to the retirement package.

Senior Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Intel Corporation in January 2011.

Interview

Was contacted by an Intel recruiter after an Intel college recruiter took my resume. I was a little surprised to be contacted because the college recruiter did not give me a 1:1 interview as he had done with others. The recruiter which I later found out was an area manager was very nice. A few personal/technical questions and he offered me a site visit.
    The site visit interviews vary by group. It can be very technical or you may fall on a group that is more looking for a personality fit. Either way, come prepared, practice your talk beforehand and come with confidence. Be prepared for a long day.

Negotiation

Did not negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR) in July 2011.

Interview

Applied online. Got an a e mail a few days later to set up the phone interview time. This was ~1hr phone interview, very technical, nothing like a common preliminary interview. The interviewer went straight to questions about research, and technical details on methods and instrumentation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR) in October 2010.

Interview

I received a phone call from an Intel D1D employee who had found my resume in the Intel resume database. We played phone tag for several days during my vacation and agreed via voicemail to talk in more detail the day I returned home. I received a call from him on that day and was told the conversation would last about 45 minutes and that the caller had a series of questions he was required to ask me. I had not been informed beforehand that this was going to be a formal interview, so I had done no preparation. I was under the impression from our exchanged phone messages that we would just be talking about the details of the job to find out if I was interested in applying, since they had sought me out. During the conversation, I was asked numerous questions about my Ph.D. research. At the end of the interview, I was told that if they were interested in bringing me up to Oregon for an onsite interview, I would receive a call from an admin within the next two weeks. If I didn't receive a call, they weren't interested. If I had known the nature of the call ahead of time, I would have reviewed my dissertation and been more prepared for the interviewer's questions.

Interview Questions

• At what rotational speed do turbopumps operate?   2 Answers
    • What is the mean free path at 10^-6 torr?   1 Answer
    • What is a quadropole?   Answer Question
    • What is the net charge of a plasma?   2 Answers