InterContinental Hotels Group Interview Questions in Atlanta, GA | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 21, 2017

39 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Technical Architect/Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group (Atlanta, GA) in February 2017.

Interview

A 30 minute phone screen was scheduled. I had previously spent perhaps 30 minutes in conversation with a recruiter who knew the interviewer on a personal basis. 10 minutes were used skipping down my resume. 15 minutes were spent on describing how I would improve the performance of scrum teams. This was posed as an abstract question with no technical fill-in to support any conclusion. The interviewer let it be known at one point that developers were "spending his employers money." There was the implication that IHG was getting nothing for that.

I attempted to gently suggest that many IT issues begin with managers, hoping to elicit the management context in which developers were performing at what was described as 25% of expected output. My interviewer appeared to be Type A in panic mode.

In the last 5 minutes I obtained enough information through a question that indicated to me where performance issues for developers flowed from. A sad situation like so many other IT related stories in America. Just sad.

Interview Questions

• Scrum teams or pods were described as meeting 5 of 20 a point metric in completing expected work during two week sprints. I do not know if the performance shortfalls were discussed in daily standups. I do not know if there were reflections at the end of a sprint. This scenario was described then the question posed: how would you improve performance? After this being asked the third time, I finally replied "well three strikes and you are out I suppose." Frustrating. But then to key to the performance issues fell in place -- for me. Perhaps the question should have been: tell me how to solve this, then you can go on your way. :-)   Answer Question

Assistant Restaurant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

It was an open call interview process in two stages. I spoke with a human resource manager then was passed to the restaurant and General manager. We discussed my resume and basic interview questions.

Interview Questions

• How was you handle a customer complaint.   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group (Atlanta, GA) in January 2017.

Interview

Process was frustrating because I had heard so many good things about IHG. Brief phone interview (30 minutes) was set up by a recruiter who slipped and said "Are you the internal candidate?". On the day of the interview, the hiring manager was 20 minutes late calling and then asked to reschedule the call. For the second call, the manager was 15 minutes late. Questions were very easy and the manager told me my skillset was rare and hard to find. They told me they would contact candidates the next week. Then, total silence. I followed up with the recruiter with no answer. I found out by checking their website that the position was filled. Very disappointing because the job sounded great.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about our company? Have you worked with an international company before?   Answer Question

Campaign Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group (Atlanta, GA) in December 2016.

Interview

Interviews are phone screen with HR, phone screen with hiring manager and then in-person with usually the hiring manager and then closest working team members or stakeholders. They usually don't go much beyond 3 rounds for mid-level roles.
    A word to the wise: they tend to hire internally 9/10 times, which is great for current employees but makes it very tough to get in the door. Having an employee refer you for a role can help.

Interview Questions

• Background questions, usually want to know specific examples of leadership, getting through tough situations etc.   Answer Question

Hotel Standards Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group (Atlanta, GA) in December 2016.

Interview

Six phone and/or Skype interviews were conducted where objective questions were asked. During the final phase, a case study was given where I was asked to write an essay describing how I would resolve the situation.

Interview Questions

• Are you agreeable to the 90% travel that is required for this position?   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group (Atlanta, GA) in October 2016.

Interview

Recruiter submitted resume. Group/panel phone and face-2-face interviews. Very relaxed tone in both. They asked questions about previous work and experience history relative to business analysis responsibilities. Phone interview was quick and rushed due to other commitments of theirs, F2F lasted about 45mins and included people that I wouldn't work with or for.

IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group (Atlanta, GA) in October 2016.

Interview

Called by a recruiter and asked a few technical questions. The recruiter called the next day to set up an onsite interview with the hiring manager. The interview lasted almost 3 hours and included a technical interview portion and a coding test. The technical interview was with the iOS Lead, Android Lead, and Web Lead. The iOS Lead asked several technical questions and showed me a screenshot of a view in their app and asked me to list all the view elements. He also had me answer question related to blocks.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a coding failure and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Programmatic Analytics Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group (Atlanta, GA) in October 2016.

Interview

Actually had applied for something else. However was brought in for this role after a referral. Quick phone screen, then didn't hear anything back. It turns out someone else had contacted me and it went to a spam folder, as they had set up a job interview time without checking my availability. And then the day before sent over a large excel file containing company marketing data and asked me to put together a presentation on it. These were two massive red flags. It felt insulting being asked to prove I could do a job, one working with data I've had over 7 years of exposure to working with, that they wanted to bring me in to interview for. While throwing together a report is easy, I was told I wouldn't have access to wifi and would need to bring in my personal laptop. Needless to say, if they were so interested in hiring someone, they wouldn't make ridiculous demands like this. It's arrogantly rude and insulting in a labor market with sub 5% tech unemployment to act like that.

Did look over the data and had some easily noticeable trends to it, but in talking with the hiring manager it turned out she hadn't looked at it herself and said as much during the interview. To me that is a red flag, asking someone to do something that you haven't done yourself. It had me questioning the position's stability as it was going on eight months since the job had been posted. For them to blame the recruiters at IHG was also unfair, as they seem to have unrealistic expectations and had me wondering if she was qualified for her own role. Was a panel interview with groups rotating in, was done around noon.

It turns out they want a business intelligence developer with multiple years of experience in SAS to prepare reporting dashboards using data from DoubleClick imported into SAS since it's what the hiring manager knows. All while underpaying for the experience needed to do something like that.

The interview process felt rushed and unprofessional, and felt like I was a token interview who had no chance of being hired on. I feel bad for the company and its shareholders since it basically has a license to print money. Even if I'd been offered the role I likely would have declined as it seems like unrealistic expectations have been entrenched for this role that has been open since around April of 2016.

Interview Questions

• Describe how to do something in SAS/experience in it.   1 Answer

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group (Atlanta, GA) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied through a recruiter, was contacted within the week. One phone interview then a full day of in-person interviews with different members of multiple teams. Met with people all the way up the chain of command from the director level down. The entire in-person interview day took about 4 hours.

Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group (Atlanta, GA) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview was extremely personable. They are very laid back, friendly and hospitable. He made me feel very comfortable talking with him. He explained, in detail, what they were looking for.

Interview Questions

• Why do you feel that you are a good candidate for this position?   1 Answer