InterContinental Hotels Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 27, 2017

2.7

Campaign Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group (Atlanta, GA) in December 2016.

Interview

Interviews are phone screen with HR, phone screen with hiring manager and then in-person with usually the hiring manager and then closest working team members or stakeholders. They usually don't go much beyond 3 rounds for mid-level roles.
    A word to the wise: they tend to hire internally 9/10 times, which is great for current employees but makes it very tough to get in the door. Having an employee refer you for a role can help.

Interview Questions

• Background questions, usually want to know specific examples of leadership, getting through tough situations etc.   Answer Question

Hotel Standards Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group (Atlanta, GA) in December 2016.

Interview

Six phone and/or Skype interviews were conducted where objective questions were asked. During the final phase, a case study was given where I was asked to write an essay describing how I would resolve the situation.

Interview Questions

• Are you agreeable to the 90% travel that is required for this position?   1 Answer

Housekeeping Manager Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group (Milwaukee, WI) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied for the position that was offered which was part time supervisor. I was told that there wasn't any other openings because there was already another part time supervisor that works weekends. I accepted the offer with a $2 raise on the days of supervising. Now 2 more part time supervisors have been hired with $1 more pay than me and they have no seniority/ experience.

Interview Questions

• Would you like to go to another affiliated property?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want this position?   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group (Atlanta, GA) in October 2016.

Interview

Recruiter submitted resume. Group/panel phone and face-2-face interviews. Very relaxed tone in both. They asked questions about previous work and experience history relative to business analysis responsibilities. Phone interview was quick and rushed due to other commitments of theirs, F2F lasted about 45mins and included people that I wouldn't work with or for.

IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group (Atlanta, GA) in October 2016.

Interview

Called by a recruiter and asked a few technical questions. The recruiter called the next day to set up an onsite interview with the hiring manager. The interview lasted almost 3 hours and included a technical interview portion and a coding test. The technical interview was with the iOS Lead, Android Lead, and Web Lead. The iOS Lead asked several technical questions and showed me a screenshot of a view in their app and asked me to list all the view elements. He also had me answer question related to blocks.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a coding failure and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Programmatic Analytics Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group (Atlanta, GA) in October 2016.

Interview

Actually had applied for something else. However was brought in for this role after a referral. Quick phone screen, then didn't hear anything back. It turns out someone else had contacted me and it went to a spam folder, as they had set up a job interview time without checking my availability. And then the day before sent over a large excel file containing company marketing data and asked me to put together a presentation on it. These were two massive red flags. It felt insulting being asked to prove I could do a job, one working with data I've had over 7 years of exposure to working with, that they wanted to bring me in to interview for. While throwing together a report is easy, I was told I wouldn't have access to wifi and would need to bring in my personal laptop. Needless to say, if they were so interested in hiring someone, they wouldn't make ridiculous demands like this. It's arrogantly rude and insulting in a labor market with sub 5% tech unemployment to act like that.

Did look over the data and had some easily noticeable trends to it, but in talking with the hiring manager it turned out she hadn't looked at it herself and said as much during the interview. To me that is a red flag, asking someone to do something that you haven't done yourself. It had me questioning the position's stability as it was going on eight months since the job had been posted. For them to blame the recruiters at IHG was also unfair, as they seem to have unrealistic expectations and had me wondering if she was qualified for her own role. Was a panel interview with groups rotating in, was done around noon.

It turns out they want a business intelligence developer with multiple years of experience in SAS to prepare reporting dashboards using data from DoubleClick imported into SAS since it's what the hiring manager knows. All while underpaying for the experience needed to do something like that.

The interview process felt rushed and unprofessional, and felt like I was a token interview who had no chance of being hired on. I feel bad for the company and its shareholders since it basically has a license to print money. Even if I'd been offered the role I likely would have declined as it seems like unrealistic expectations have been entrenched for this role that has been open since around April of 2016.

Interview Questions

• Describe how to do something in SAS/experience in it.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group.

Interview

It was a little long but pretty run of the mill. Everyone was very nice. The positive thing is they want you to know whether or not you get the job before you leave there.

Interview Questions

• They had me do a role play call   2 Answers

Front Desk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Century City, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group (Century City, CA).

Interview

Longest interview ever! almost 3 hours and haven't even been called back. One of the executives looked very unfriendly and asks every single little detail about previous employer. I mean, if they didn't want to hire me, they shouldn't had made me lose my time for nothing. There's nowhere to park.

Interview Questions

• Everything was all about my past employer. Cool employer btw.   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group (Atlanta, GA) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied through a recruiter, was contacted within the week. One phone interview then a full day of in-person interviews with different members of multiple teams. Met with people all the way up the chain of command from the director level down. The entire in-person interview day took about 4 hours.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in North Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group (North Charleston, SC) in August 2016.

Interview

Interview
    The interview process was fairly quick. Over the phone interview 08/12/16 and in person interview three days later 08/15/16. The over the phone interview is an interview that states the pay, job description, and ask a few questions about yourself. Before the end of the call, if interested they will set you up for an in person interview. The in-person interview was great. The personnel gave me a tour around the building, then we got to the actual interview. The actual interview was the common questions, then an practice call center scenario. I've never worked a call center, but I was confident and did my best.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to deal with a irate customer, and how you resolved the issue?   Answer Question