International Paper Process Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

International Paper Process Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 15, 2017

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at International Paper (Gainesville, FL) in October 2015.

Interview

I interviewed through a career fair through my school. Standard behavioral interview with two people, one an engineer an HR person. Mostly "name a time" style questions. After about two weeks I received a letter telling me I did not get the position.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for International Paper

Anonymous Employee in Valliant, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at International Paper (Valliant, OK) in October 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by an HR representative and we set up a date/time for an initial phone screening.

This section was entirely a behavioral interview with standard questions - detail a personal strength, tell us about a time in which you experienced a setback, etc. The questions were read off a list in a formal manner.

In the callback, the initial HR representative and I set up a date for an in-person interview. The company paid for or reimbursed for all travel costs. The on-site interview consisted of a plant tour (roughly 2.5 hours), two back-to-back 3-panel interviews, a social lunch break with the small department, and finally concluded with a 1-on-1 with the senior engineer overseeing the hiring position.

The 3-panel interviews were somewhat rushed, as the tour went long, but were on the whole behavioral interviews conducted by two sets of three senior members from the small department. The 1-on-1 was entirely informal, just a hashing out of some details of the position. By this point, it felt like IP had already offered me a position.

Interview Questions

• In the middle of the second 3-panel interview, a small conversation with a Chemical Engineer regarding my degree concentration (or lacktherof) spiraled into a technical question in which the terminology he was using (being 30 years my senior) and which I was familiar with (being fresh out of academia) did not match. This led to an unfortunate flub of an answer until I was able to straighten out what sort of answer he was looking for and probably did not look very confident on my part.   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at International Paper.

Interview

I had a sit down interview that lasted a little over an hour. It was a very relaxed interview with two interviewers who were recent grads. They asked generic interview questions, none of which were very difficult.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for International Paper?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxnard, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at International Paper (Oxnard, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

I met the HR manager at a Career Fair at my university. I chatted with her for a bit and left a resume. About two weeks later I received a call from her to schedule an interview. The first interview involved a tour of the paper mill (1 hour) followed by a panel interview with the HR manager, the lead process engineer, and the engineering manager. The questions were very standard and the interviewers were very nice. I got a call back for a second visit, which involved 3 1:1 interviews with various mangers of the company and more detailed plant tours (2.5 hours). Overall very positive interview experience. Note: do not arrive to interviews in your nicest clothes. You will be given steel toe shoe add-ons and your shoes (and person) may get wet.

Company culture: about 100 employees, mostly men. Most employees are aged 40+.

Interview Questions

• What is Henry's Law? (Technical question)
      What do you think your role of process engineer will be? (Make sure to read job description carefully)
      Answer Question

Although the paper industry is very stable and I would have received a solid pay, I was not interested in process engineering (or rather controls).

Process Engineer Interview

Interview

Talked to a representative at my university career fair. The conversation went well and the representative seemed to be interested/impressed. About a week later I received an email asking for a phone interview. The phone interview must also went well as I was asked to attend an on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you needed to make a difficult decision.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at International Paper (Montgomery, AL) in October 2013.

Interview

First round was on campus. Got offered to go to second round and it was a company-wide interview where they gathered all of the mills and all the candidates to find best matches.

Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at International Paper in October 2012.

Interview

IP does this internal career fair with all the mills in the country, once you pass your first round of interview. The interview itself is very relaxing, but still challenging because you have to be on all the time, since there will be ~20 mills present with 200 IP employees and 80 other candidates. IP does a great job hosting the recruiting events, and other events too.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you had to teach someone who was your father's age.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was hardly any negotiation.

Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at International Paper in November 2011.

Interview

Got the interview after dropping a resume off at their booth at the school career fair. It was a half hour interview with two people. They were both from HR as opposed to engineers, and they didn't know much about the specifics of the job. They were mostly interested in filling out as much as possible on their interview sheets, which contained all of their predetermined questions.

Interview Questions

• What kind of experience do you have in a manufacturing environment?   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at International Paper in October 2010.

Interview

One of the most unique interview processes I have seen. College interview is a panel interview at the college. This interview is the cut off for the second round of interviews. IP invites the second round candidates to a mill site for two days. The process consists of dinners, group and individual interviews and a final tour.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a conflict situation in a team setting?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate. Could be done though specially if you have another offer.