Intuit Principal Scientist - Text Mining Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Interview Review

4.0

Principal Scientist - Text Mining Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Intuit (Mountain View, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

I was disappointed to be interviewed for such a highly specialized position by the new leader of the group, an able technologist with an excellent pedigree but clearly no experience in either linguistics or text mining.

After a series of telephone interviews with less senior staffers went swimmingly, i progressed through the process until hitting the hiring VP, the above mentioned technologist. When asked to talk about what I've been working on for the last several years that was relevant to the job, I could tell he neither understood the topic I was discussing (semiotics, the science of symbols inside semantics, the science of meaning) nor felt it was particularly on point.

When i questioned him about why they had opened this slot in the fist place, it was clear that they felt it was a requisite to being considered a top-flight "inference science application" with little idea what text mining or semantics or even semiotics is all about. When I suggested they could save money by going with a service like getsatisfaction.com's platfrom to find out "what their customers were talking about in their own form of social.net chat-rooms" instead of building a huge expensive organization, he stopped responding.

Perhaps not the wisest comment, but in matter of fact I was right. I feel they were hiring 2 top flight scientists (data mining and text mining) as part of a pro-forma process to appear to the rest of the financial services SaaS world of their "leadership", not to build a highly skilled and informed service for a similarly disposed workforce.

imho!

Intuit might be full of smart people but heir entry onto SaaS via shrink-wrap seems to me to be done in desperation and not in a full informed way. The move move from shrink-wrapped software to SaaS is not an easy one, and requires a mindset that breaks away a bit from the past rather than merely building directly upon them.

It sounds like a great job in a confused and rushing-too-soon-to-a-new-marketplace organization. i don't believe I was seriously considered for the job since i lack a Ph.D, a distinction many top organizations see as a positive in commercial institutions, as opposed to a non-starter for consideration!

Interview Questions