Intuit Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Intuit Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 14, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Intuit (Mountain View, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Had a call with HR who scheduled a call with a senior engineer. HR told it will be a tech interview, Prepared accordingly. But the interview was more about what I am currently doing in my current company. I got a call from HR next day, saying they won't move forward since I am a QA person and I don't have industrial AWS experience and all i have is educational AWS knowledge. I clearly mentioned all of this in my first round with the HR, I don't know why they scheduled the call for tech interview and rejected there for this reason. At-least the engineer could have asked me questions in AWS and other technology and decided based on that. I feel I wasted my precious time . At the end of it, I felt why can't a QA person move to dev role ? why ppl dont give a chance? . HR was professional throughout and kind enough to call back and give feedback personally which is very much appreciable, kudos to her.

Interview Questions

• What's your current role ? etc etc about what I am doing currently.   Answer Question

Intuit Response

Mar 20, 2017 – Candidate Experience Care

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience with Intuit. While we strive to do our best there is always room for improvement. If you wouldn't mind emailing more details on ... More

Other Interview Reviews for Intuit

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Intuit (New York, NY).

Interview

I got an email from an Intuit recruiter. She saw me through LinkedIn. We had a 30 minutes phone call and then she transferred my case to another recruiter. The later gave me a phone call and said there might be a technical phone interview in a few days. I waited a few days, but nothing was scheduled. So I sent a follow-up email to ask what happened. Never got a reply. I think it's really not professional. At least should let me know what is going on.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodland Hills, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Intuit (Woodland Hills, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Quick phone interview with lead went well. Asked me to come in for an in-person interview with the lead developers and then the architect and finally the manager. Asked to prepare a small craft project for the interview. Spent probably 8 hrs on a great PHP site which was perfect for a small website, only to be told it needed to be in Java. The requirements also specify a login so I did a basic email login but they actually wanted full authentication and session management which was also not specified. Similarly I was asked by HR to prepare a 20 min talk but the hiring manager did not seem interested in hearing the presentation. They said I had a week and should have spent a lot longer on the craft project. After a 30 min interview I don't see how anyone could justify spending 2 or 3 days on an interview project. Need to get HR and the hiring manager on the same page regarding the requirements and the interview process. Please just specify the technologies to use and it will be done, or if you want people to choose the right tool for the job then the solution will not be in Java.

Interview Questions

• No behavioral questions, no whiteboard coding, no difficult algorithm questions, no OOP design questions. Just basic stuff regarding technology and previous experience.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Intuit (Dallas, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview process started with a t\echnical phone screen. After passing the phone screen you would get assigned craft work. Craft work being a "take home" project bounded to 3-6 hours where you develop a project. If you pass the craft work you then proceed to an onsite face to face interview that lasts three to four hours. I had a panel and three one on one sessions. Questions started technical and Object Oriented. Others were the more open ended behavioral style that extends the popular STAR method.

Interview Questions

• Face to face consisted of technical questions, STAR behavioral questions, and agile specific questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Intuit (Mountain View, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

There was a phone round screening, which was scheduled for an hour but went about 10 minutes over. Interviewer was professional and not a text book questioner.

I was called in for an on-site for about 5 hours.

Interviewed with the manager over lunch then I was handed over to engineering folks to interview.

I was provided a computer to work on and asked to implement some questions. It is called craft work. Went well and the interviewers confirmed I had the solution.

Next it was QE and Engineers - this was the interview, which was very interesting in terms of questions asked - mock data, unit test, code coverage etc. Very relevant ones. Ensuring bridge between QE and Engg. Then I was interviewed by the Product Manager. All of them confirmed that I had answered them everything that they were looking for.

Now this get comically interesting to me. 4 days later I get a call from HR to inform me that I did well and they liked my attitude and answers, but team has decided not to hire me instead refer me to other teams and I am still active. Most bizzare - say either yes or no. And, for that reason, I have given a thumbs down.

Interview Questions

• Craft presentation - implement todo application.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Intuit (San Diego, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

The interview starts off with a brief phone interview with HR followed by hiring manager. The ask you to prepare a program before coming in and present it. I was impressed with that part of the interview but that was the extent of it.

The staff they have focus on a lot of details that don't really address whether you're a good engineer or not. They were more interested in the munition of the language than anything else. It was also frustrating that they gave no time for you to ask questions or get a feel for exactly what they were looking for. It seemed to me they were more interested in their own needs than having a mutually beneficial conversation. I really felt this wasn't a fit for them or me after I left and wouldn't have taken an offer if one was given. Pay was too low and job seems like you'd be battling your way through all the time.

Interview Questions

• How do you determine the cyclomatic complexity of a given function?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Intuit (San Jose, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

- Applied online
    - Contacted by recruiter 2 weeks later
    - Had 45 min phone screen with team member; went over resume, discussed technical and non-technical topics; some technical questions about web technologies and languages and frameworks.
    - Had a half day onsite; interviewed with manager and 4 engineers; questions included past work exp, challenges, things learned, programming experience, concepts, design patterns, various technical questions;

Interview Questions

• 1. mvc and other design patterns and implementation details; pros and cons of approaches taken. traversal of arrays, optimization, O-analysis, lists (search, removal), trees (search, traversal, removal, deletion), hashmaps; you will be well prepared if you study "Programming Interviews Exposed" and "Cracking the Coding Interview". All questions are designed to see if you are fundamentally sound.
      2. web app optimization and debugging; scenarios, challenges, approach / resolution, rendering time, basics of http, javascript internals, single threaded model, etc. All are questions designed to see if your skills and experience match what they need to hire for.
      3. behavioral, personality, cultural fit, challenges, achievements, motivation, interests; All are questions designed to see if you are going to work well with the people there.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Intuit (San Diego, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Technical phone interview with a shared editor screen for the coding problem.

Onsite interview consisted of meeting with the recruiter, presenting a project to a panel, then completing a project in three hours. After the project review, it was one-on-one interviews with a few senior people.

Not a whole lot of time was given to ask questions, and I'm pretty sure I didn't talk to anyone on the team I was interviewing for.

On the bright side, the recruiter did ask for feedback when delivering their verdict.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Intuit (San Diego, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied on corporate website. Couple of months went by and I was eventually contacted by one of their corporate recruiters who wanted to discuss a different position (QA - which I was not interested in). She was kind enough to hear what I WOULD be interested in instead, and referred me to another corporate recruiter.
    This second corporate recruiter reached out to me the next day for a phone call and he told me a lot about the company on a high level, then described their hiring process briefly. Didn't ask any technical questions- just questions about my technical background and interests. He set up a phone interview with one of the hiring managers (a Senior Manager of Software Engineering) for the very next day.
    Phone interview with engineering manager went well. No deep technical evaluation- mostly questions about my experience and specific technical knowledge. Mostly high level questions like why I would choose one database platform over another, why I would choose one programming language/framework over another, etc. Then asked me a real rudimentary question about the order of construction when instantiating a subclass C whose parent is B whose parent is A. Then asked similar about destruction order, and "why" things work that way. Easy. At end of call, was told I would probably be invited on site.
    Corporate recruiter I had been working with was very communicative, unlike most recruiters I have worked. Over the next couple days as I awaited a formal invite on site, he kept me posted about the progress/delays. In the end, I received my invite after only 3 days- I received a call from an Interview Coordinator on a Tuesday who set up the on site session for the following Friday. On Wednesday, received a formal email-invitation from Coordinator with info on Intuit, agenda, and directions to the office in San Diego. Shortly thereafter, the corporate recruiter sent me an email describing what the interview environment would be like so that I'd be best prepared. He gave me the rundown of what to expect that day- very gracious. He also passed along an online skills test to take any time before the on-site. 4 multiple choice questions, 2 problem-solving. Moderately easy.
    Friday came along and I met first with the recruiter, who gave me a tour of the beautiful campus, followed by a few minutes to chat before technical interviews. Technical interview began with the same Senior Mgr who did my phone screen along with a Principal Eng. They had asked me to prepare a presentation of my 2-3 coolest accomplishments. Had some good ones, so I spoke for 25 min. with a PowerPoint presentation. Then, technical questions. 3 in all.
    First one, stumbled through, but got solution in the end with some hints along the way.
    Second one, was told, "don't worry if you don't get the solution, this is just to see thought process. bonus if you get it". I absolutely nailed that one on the head.
    Third one, same outcome as first question.
    Then, they left a lot of time for me to ask questions- Even cancelled a meeting to allow me to stay longer to get my questions out.
    Afterward, recruiter escorted me out. Told me I'd hear back by Monday (1 business day). Indeed I did- they felt my problem solving skills were not aligned with the role they wanted to fill. I respectfully disagree with that. But, I understand where they are coming from.
    At the end of the day, I was treated with nothing but respect by EVERYONE along the way, and they gave me every opportunity to succeed- I merely fumbled the ball during the interview process as they presented me with questions that I probably could have solved without "hints" in a less time-constrained environment with less pressure. But that's interviews for you. No excuses.
    Only small oddity is that the people who interviewed me didn't even have any idea that I had taken the online skills tests (and therefore didn't even know my results) despite the fact that I was told "everyone has to take this". No big deal.

Interview Questions

• All questions were around problem-solving with algorithms. First question, interviewer insisted I write it on the white-board, syntactically correct (in Java). Given time constraints and the pressure (yeah, I know, those are both things that were my problem, not theirs), I just wrote out an O(n^2) solution fairly quickly, although ate a lot of time to write compile-ready code on the whiteboard. By the time that was done, interview felt too much time had lapsed so started giving me hints, asking me if I could rewrite it for O(log n) or O(n). Got there eventually, but interviewer literally said, "In the interest of time, here are some hints...". Certainly, with more than a couple of minutes I could have come up with an O(n) solution on my own. The question was only moderately difficult.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Intuit (Menlo Park, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Applied online. They responded after 2 or 3 weeks. The recruiter was great. He was very friendly but gave me all the information i wanted without stalling. I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. They got back to me after 3 or 4 days asking for my availability for face to face rounds. The second round interviews were all pair programming sessions and they asked some other technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Didn't find anything difficult but they did ask some architectural questions which i didn't answer well.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't have to negotiate. The package was much better than i expected even when they knew my current salary which was considerably lower.