Intuit Staff Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Intuit Staff Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jan 25, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Intuit (San Diego, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me recently, knowing me very well from an interview with the company I did a few years ago that did not work out. I had kept in touch over the years. Recruiter thought of some openings that would be a good fit for me so put me in touch with hiring manager.
Basically process consisted of a phone call with recruiter, phone call with hiring manager who asked a mix of behavioral and technical questions, followed by a half day meeting and interviewing on site. Questions were very thorough- they like to get deep on technical questions while also understanding soft skills very well. All questions asked were reasonable, albeit difficult in some cases. That is, no one asked pointless condescending technical questions or irrelevant brain teasers. All conversations were targeted and relevant to actual work needing to be done at Intuit. Also, every single interview always made sure I got time to ask a billion of my own questions.
Feedback process was quick. Never had more than 36 hours go by without hearing from a recruiter or hiring manager by phone or email. Absolutely excellent talent acquisition team.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Good offer. Interview is challenging, but understandably so. Hard work to be done at Intuit, but seems like the company rewards compensates accordingly.

Other Interview Reviews for Intuit

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Intuit in December 2015.

Interview

Telephone Screening Intro, Craft Demos, panel discussion by teams, final interview with hiring manager. Allowed to share my thoughts for any questions they asked. Discussed business scenarios and possible resolution plan. It was awesome process.

Interview Questions

• It was positive experience. People were nice. Like craft demo which help to have discussion with team instead of traditional interview structure.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Intuit (Mountain View, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Design and develop an elevator control system simulator. Demo this assignment to a panel of 4.
    This is followed by 3 1:1 interviews with each of the panelists. Focus is on knowledge of restful web services, amazon web services, no sql databases.

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Intuit.

Interview

Recruiters are horrible. They dont communicate to candidates properly.

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Interview

random recruiters call asking for different positions. they arrange interviews. i got thru 2 phone rounds easily. they said they will bring onsite. suddenly gets an email that teams shuffled and the requirement freeze.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Intuit (Menlo Park, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

Very nice interview process. Nice people. They all liked me and felt I am a good fit for a senior software engineer.I really enjoyed the interview. But they could not open up a new req for that position.

Interview Questions

• Prepare well with what you have in your resume along with debugging production issues, data structures and some problem solving skills.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Intuit (Mountain View, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

I had 7 interviewers spanning a broad range of job functions and areas of focus (engineers, architects, product managers, directors). One interviewer commented after looking at the schedule that the loop might be uncommonly thorough. They asked me questions around technical ability, prioritization, strategy, and situational leadership.

The group was very transparent about the challenges facing the team (after starting here, I can confirm that what they portrayed is indeed reflective of the situation on the ground). Most of the interviewers were very polished, asking questions that really made me think, truly respecting areas of my experience I was not at liberty to talk about, and ensuring a pretty smooth flow to the conversation. One of my interviewers was a little too blunt with the behavioral interviewing best practices, but this had the hallmarks of someone new to interviewing rather than a serious red flag. I wish the loop had gone deeper on hard technical capabilities, as I felt there were some relevant depth of skillset on coding and design that was not quantified as well as it could have been.

Overall a long, challenging day but very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• The most challenging (and interesting) question was about a strategy for finding signal in a noisy and poorly understood data set. Asking a software engineer a data science question really stretches the mental muscles.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiation was different from other places I worked in that I was expected to supply the first set of numbers. This is always tricky as you don't want to leave comp on the table but also don't want to turn off an interested team with sky high demands. After that hurdle, I felt that the recruiter actually went to bat for me (as nearly all will say but so few will actually do) in having the comp meet my requirements.

My advice is to have a set of clear, well-grounded comp targets at the start of the negotiations process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Intuit (Mountain View, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

Nice and professional way

Feel Not fit the culture

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Intuit in January 2010.

Interview

Multiple people interview the candidate including Director/VP level.
    Designated Interview building.
    Prefer external candidates over internal.
    Referred by a manager whom I used to work for in a former company.
    Interviews focus and skill set and unlike Google they do not focus on general Math Analytical type of skills.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They just paid better than my previous employer.

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Intuit in June 2016.

Interview

Very rude and arrogant people. Panel enters the room, completely ignores you and argues with the HR coordinator for some confusions. No basic courtesy to either say hi to the interviewer or have the discussion outside with HR.
    It seems they had decided before coming to the room only and interview was just a formality to reject one. I told once, i dont have detailed practical knowledge on machine failure, synchronization and clustering. Concepts i am fully aware of, implementation details i dont know. Still same question was round about asked, first when I discribed the project. And then when you ask to code LRU cache, stick to it.

What is the purpose of again asking how is machine failure handled with in-memory cache, like the LRU cache program written. Plain serialization to a text file is not fine, they want synchronization between systems and what to see code for that all within 30 minutes coding round. Are they expecting me to write the source code for memcache or redis when the question was just LRU cache implementation.

Only good part was the HR,who was quite nice and cooperative all the time.