Intuitive Surgical Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Intuitive Surgical Interview Questions

Updated May 25, 2017

3.3

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Intuitive Surgical in April 2017.

Interview

First interview was with the recruiter which was quite easy. The recruiter was quite helpful and got back to me after every round for follow up.
    Second interview was with the hiring manager. Pretty easy. Mostly on my resume: coursework, design projects etc. He seemed impressed and moved me to the next round right after the interview.
    Third round was a webex call with 5 team members, one after the other. Almost all the questions were on my resume, career goals, previous work. The interviewees were : the hiring manager, a manufacturing engineer, an electrical engineer and two mechanical engineers. The interviews went quite well. Got an e-mail from the recruiter in a week saying the team had decided to go ahead with a candidate who had more "hands-on experience".

Interview Questions

• FMEA- Which of R,P,N would you try to reduce (Answer is O). Tell me about your work with design of experiments, Tell me about a machine or a fixture you designed. Why mechanical engineering? Why automation? What electrical related work have you done? what was your first job? how do you work in a team?are you an introvert or an extrovert?how does your desk look like? how much time do you spend at the desk and at the workshop in a week?   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Intuitive Surgical.

Interview

A software engineer contacted me with a kind of screen assignment (summaries an academic paper and describe an approach to reproduce it). One week later, the same engineer interviewed me over phone for 30 mins and then they move me forward to two one-hour technical rounds via WebEx. Everything went smoothly and a few weeks later I got the offer.

Interview Questions

• Typical coding problems (e.g. reverse an array) plus some geometry problems (e.g. barycentric)   Answer Question

Mar 2, 2017 – Director, Executive Recuitment, Diversity & Inclusion

We appreciate you writing this review of your positive experience with our interview process. Congratulations on your offer to join our company and we look forward to career development with us.

Senior Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Intuitive Surgical (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online and the process took about 6 weeks+. The interview process was typical for the job. Initial phone/webex interview. Then a coding challenge. Finally, an onsite interview that lasted ~6hrs. If you are given an offer, there is a background check. Overall, the experience was very pleasant and I got meet a lot of nice people. The best part is to demo/operate the DaVinci Surgical System (highly recommend to do if given the chance)!!!

Interview Questions

• Typical questions on embedded software development and debugging. A lot of questions regarding my previous job experience. There are some behavior questions on working with others and such...   Answer Question

Negotiation

First received a call to proceed to offer phase. Exchanged numbers with my recruiter. The initial offer from Intuitive Surgical was fair, so I did not counter offer.

Apr 22, 2017 – Director, Executive Recuitment, Diversity & Inclusion

Thank you for your review and we're pleased you were so happy you enjoyed the da Vinci demo! Happy you have joined our company.

Clinical Sales Representative Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Intuitive Surgical.

Interview

Really liked the recruiter I spoke with. He really sold me on the company and etc. The problem for me was the interview process. 6 rounds of interviews for an entry level job - in my opinion - was a little extreme. I don't care how many applicants you have. I don't like it when companies do not respect candidates with ridiculous interview processes.

Interview Questions

Intuitive Surgical Response

Feb 7, 2017 – Director, Executive Recuitment, Diversity & Inclusion

Thank you for your review. For this position we typically strive for (2) Phone Interviews followed by (2) On Site Interviews followed by a Field Ride. 6 rounds of interviews does not sound like our ... More

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Intuitive Surgical (Norcross, GA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was initially contacted by Ken, an Intuitive recruiter, and was immediately drawn to the company based his professionalism and the information he shared with me. The interview process consisted of multiple phone and in person interviews; they were thorough, which I can appreciate especially from an HR standpoint. The speed at which interviews were scheduled and decisions were made was impressive. The entire process was flawless and everyone involved was very respectful of my time. I couldn't have asked for a better interview experience.

Interview Questions

• Questions were based around my experience, future goals, and personality.   Answer Question

Apr 22, 2017 – Director, Executive Recuitment, Diversity & Inclusion

Thank you for such a great review! So happy you have joined our HR and ISI team! You will make such a great difference for our Sales Team.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Intuitive Surgical (New York, NY).

Interview

HR screening was standard - why do you want to work here, what are you hoping to gain, etc. HR rep was extremely nice and professional. First round tech asked about my resume.

Interview Questions

Intuitive Surgical Response

Jan 18, 2017 – Director, Executive Recuitment, Diversity & Inclusion

We appreciate your review of your experience with us. Thank you.

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Intuitive Surgical (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online, had a HR contacted me directly. Then send me an OA, finished and email back. Then emailed me to set up a second round technical interview over phone. Went well, but then no response. Two weeks later, email back, told was rejected.

Interview Questions

• What was the most challenging thing in your previous project?   Answer Question

Feb 24, 2017 – Director, Executive Recuitment, Diversity & Inclusion

Thank you for letting us know about your interview experience with us. Normally anyone who has gone through a couple of rounds of phone interviews would be contacted directly by the Recruiter to let ... More

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Intuitive Surgical (Sunnyvale, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

4 Phone Interviews, a face to face interview day in the office. The process was fairly smooth. I felt like a lot of the questions were asked over and over again so it may have been better to do a panel interview rather than several different ones individually. I am still waiting to be reimbursed for my expenses for the final interview trip so that is the only disappointing part.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Nov 28, 2016 – Director, Executive Recuitment, Diversity & Inclusion

Thank you for your review and suggestions to improve our interviewing process and I will ensure this gets visibility to our VP of HR. Please contact us or the Talent Acquisition Coordinator you ... More

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Intuitive Surgical in November 2016.

Interview

Had an initial phone screen with HR. Then a phone call with the hiring manager. Then an onsite interview. I was interviewed by three people. The second person didn't seem very prepared for the interview and did not have any questions prepared for me. I enjoyed talking with the other two interviewers as they seemed enthusiastic about what they were doing (job/being at the company/wanting to hire an intern/etc).

Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Intuitive Surgical (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

A recruiter started the process by conducting an initial phone interview (~15 minutes). A few weeks later I was contacted again to set up a Skype interview with the team I would be working with. That lasted a couple of hours, with ~30-45 minutes speaking with each team member. Then a few weeks after that I was contacted that they wanted to fly me out for an in person interview.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you were told you needed to finish a project by a certain deadline and knew you were not going to be done by that deadline?   Answer Question

Nov 3, 2016 – Director, Executive Recuitment, Diversity & Inclusion

We appreciate your review and congrats on accepting an offer with our company. It appears you enjoyed your experience during your interview process and we are so pleased when candidates like you ... More