Isilon, A Division of EMC Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Isilon, A Division of EMC Interview Questions

Interviews at Isilon, A Division of EMC

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied through the career fair, did the on campus interview and after that never heard back from them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Isilon, A Division of EMC (Seattle, WA) in September 2014.

Interview

Met at an on campus career fair, scheduled an interview for the next day consisting of:
    3 Separate interviewers
    1 technical question each

For preparation, go over data-structures (BST, Caches), basic search algorithms, and threading knowledge (mutex, semaphores)

Interview Questions

• Implement a Least Recently Used (LRU) cache, using am array.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Isilon, A Division of EMC (Washington, DC) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied online, recruiter contacted me and set up an initial phone screen with hiring manager. Phone screen based on designing architectural designing question. As a recent grad I am not good at designing questions. needs more practice.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Isilon, A Division of EMC in September 2014.

Interview

I came across Isilon at a campus career fair. The representatives were very friendly. I got an on campus interview with 2 reps who mainly asked questions about my thought process; there were very few if any questions involving code itself. I was asked a hypothetical question about what I would do if the sound stopped playing through my headphones while listening to the pandora app on my phone.

Interview Questions

• Describe the most important aspects of code and rank them in order of importance.   Answer Question

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Isilon, A Division of EMC (Seattle, WA) in November 2015.

Interview

The process started with a chat with the hiring manager. It was all about previous work experience. It was then followed by a technical phone screen. Phone screen touched upon very basic coding questions, nothing too hard. Then came the onsite loop. It consisted of 4 technical rounds and a lunch interview. Lunch was informal and more a chance for the candidate to relax and ask questions. The technical rounds were pretty easy. Nothing too challenging. It was a decent mix of coding and systems questions. It all took 2-3 weeks.

They promised to get back in 3-4 days after the interview, which they didn't. After pinging the recruiter I got to know that the interviews went well, but waiting on paperwork stuff. It has been over 2 months and no offer/rejection yet. I would at least expect a response, as a courtesy. I found it highly unprofessional of them to just keep quiet. It felt like an utter and complete waste of my time. I would stay away from this company in the future.

Interview Questions

• Questions were very simple, touching on basic coding and systems.   Answer Question

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Isilon, A Division of EMC (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Applied online. A call with recruiter, 2 phone screens, got to on site interview. Had a total of 4 rounds of technical one on ones. First 2 went fine. Last 2 were with people who had made up their minds before it started. Of the bad ones, the 1st guy was as vague as can be with his questions, kept checking his phone while I replied and wouldn't let me finish my answers, will start on with next question. He was a bit rude and tried to find fault in almost all of my responses, even with ones that were right. Questions were very theoretical. I thought that that round went bad, but the worst was yet to come. The final round was with a guy who has a PhD, he mentioned that quite a few times, during the interview. He started critiquing my resume and pointed out things that I should change. He was very vague, loud, rude and arrogant. He wouldn't let me finish my answers either. Oh, and according to him, he sleeps and wakes up in code, so I had to be careful with what I say.

Once it clearly goes from going good to going bad, probably means they have made up their mind. Don't waste your time and energy after that, bid adieu, which I should have done. In retrospect, some of the mistakes obviously fall on me, but their entire approach to the interview is not justified.

Interview Questions

• Binary Search Tree insert and given n find different structural possibilities of a normal binary tree. The PhD guy asked a queue question and only he and God knows what he was expecting for a response.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Isilon, A Division of EMC (Seattle, WA) in January 2016.

Interview

In Dec of last year, one HR contact me for position of Isilon department. 30 days later, they told me to schedule one phone screen. then I interviewed in January with the Isilon department of EMC. the phone screen is just about experience of projects, followed with one easy coding problem on HackerRank. I thought my performance was good. But after one week, I contact the interviewer and HR for feedback. Both of them did not give any response. It's an very negative experience. waiting, waiting, waiting and lose patience.

Interview Questions

• project and some question about operating system, file system.   Answer Question

Technical Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Isilon, A Division of EMC (Seattle, WA) in October 2012.

Interview

Phone screen to determine personality and baseline technical skills. The recruiters were very professional and arrange travel for the 1:1 interviews. The technical interviews were fair and concise. An offer was made before the trip was over.

Interview Questions

• What linux command tells you details about installed release?   1 Answer

Technology Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Brighton, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Isilon, A Division of EMC (New Brighton, MN) in June 2010.

Interview

The process was straight forward. I met first with the CIO and then department managers, which would have been my peers. The interview went really well. The CIO determined they were not ready for the big change he was taking them to, so they decided to not fill the job at this time.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle an employee that did not want to change and go forward.   1 Answer

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Isilon, A Division of EMC (Seattle, WA) in March 2012.

Interview

Straightforward interview process.
    There was an HR phone screen.
    Then there was a phone screen with the hiring manager.
    Then a face to face interview was scheduled. I met 1/2 hour each with 6 people, back to back. All were nice, and free form. They did not have a scripted or structured interview. All meetings were 1:1.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The offer was exactly what I asked for. A significant part of the package is an annual bonus based on performance to goal. I believe the expectation is that all employees with good performance will receive most or all of the bonus.