J. C. Penney Interview Questions in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 22, 2017

2.7

Procurement Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX).

Interview

I got an email to invite me to have a phone interview with HR manager from JC penny. She let me choose the time I would be free. She is very nice but JC penny consider about your visa status.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a thing about negotiation. What's your status? Tell me a bout a time you solve a problem.   Answer Question

IT Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

The first round of the interview process involved a 30-minute phone interview with a recruiter/HR employee. The second round was another 30-minute phone interview but with the intention of getting an idea of which IT position you might be placed in after the IT Trainee program. The third and final round was a trip to JCPenney headquarters in Plano, TX and round robin style interviews consisting of three separate interview panels with two interviewers each. The time from my first phone interview to the final round was about 2 weeks.

The final round interviews were surprisingly straightforward and mostly behavioral questions, with a few technical questions to get an idea of your stronger areas. Some of the typical "Tell us about a time when..." questions were asked, but they were slightly different than the usual versions of these questions.

Make sure to have questions for them and show a strong interest in understanding more about the company. I think my lacking in this area was among the main reasons I did not get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you received feedback from peers that you felt was incorrect or unfair.   Answer Question

IT Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

JCPenney had a very smooth and thorough interview process. Everyone I spoke to was very nice and genuine. The whole process was also organized and timely. Overall I thought they did a good job and it was a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between Java and Javascript?   1 Answer

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Frisco, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

They literally only called to know what my availability was, then they said that I would only start out at 8.00/hr because I had no experience. After that, they told me that they needed to do a background check and then within a few hours, they called back, told me it came back clear, then set me up with orientation.

Merchandise Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online and a few days later I was contacted by a recruiter to set up a phone interview. The next step was an in-person interview with two buyers and the HR business partner. Each interview was basically the exact same (tell me about yourself then each interviewer asked 4-5 situational questions). They each also asked the last time I had visited a JCPenney, and what they are doing well and what could be done better within the store. Overall I felt the interview process was very redundant - it felt like the same interview three times over. I also felt the amount of situational questions asked was a bit overkill. More could have been asked about my past work experience and what skills I could transfer into the new position. Each interviewer read the questions word-for-word off a piece of paper, so the entire process felt very informal and awkward. I was told a decision would be made by the end of the week, but if I had not heard anything by the next week I should reach out and they would update me on the status. The following week I still hadn't heard back, so I reached out to inquire about the status of the position but never received a response. I know a lot of companies are guilty of "ghosting" interviewees if they are not selected, but this is so unprofessional and inconsiderate, especially after being told to follow up after the interview. The entire process really made me consider if this is the type of company I truly want to work for.

Interview Questions

• I was asked at least 10 different situational questions (tell me a time you made a mistake and how you corrected it, how do you deal with difficult coworkers, have you ever had to deal with a difficult boss, etc).   Answer Question
    • When was the last time you were in a JCPenney? What are we doing well and what can we improve upon?   Answer Question

IT Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone call than an onsite interview. Extremly poor communication from the company as to next steps. Received no feedback whatsoever. I was eager to interview but the interviewers themselves were quick to point out the many financial troubles facing the company and the brick and mortar retail sector. I left the interviews less motivated than when I arrived. If interviewing there, proceed with caution. This is a company that is under extreme duress. Not sure they are a viable long-term option.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions. Interviewers did not seem prepared   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

I met with a JCPenny rep at the career fair at my school and he signed me up for an on campus interview for the next week. I interviewed on campus then was called the next day and told that they wanted to bring me in for a second round interview at their corporate office in Plano. They flew me to Dallas for the two day interview along with about 20 other candidates. Around 10 were there to interview for the internship and 10 of us there for the business analyst trainee position. The first day we toured the campus and chatted with some employees in different areas and then we had a panel discussion with former BA trainee's and lastly, we took assessment tests. The next day was the bulk of the interviews with a panel interview with about 3 people that took about 30-45 mins and then a group case study that took about 45 mins.

Interview Questions

• What projects have you used excel in? Talk about a time you had to deal with a lot of numbers/data.   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

I met the interviewers on campus at two career fairs. They contacted me after getting my resume and set up an interview on campus. I interviewed with the director of finance and a girl who works on his team. They were very nice, answered all my questions, and kept the conversation going. They told me I was a little over qualified for the position.

Procurement Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

Process took about 3 weeks. Starting with initial HR phone interview that consisted of basic behaivor questions. Favorite class in college?worst class in college? It was very casual and conversational. Then proceeded to next round of interviews with directors and managers in sourcing and procurement dep. Overall good expeirence, the company is in transition of moving foward and seemed to be a good company to jump on board with.

Interview Questions

• Why you?
      Why JC Penny?
      Why this position?
      Negotiation skills?
      Teamwork?handeling a bad teammate?
      About you?
      Strengths/weaknesses?
      Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flower Mound, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Flower Mound, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

It was a group interview. There were 7 of us and 2 managers. they had us go around the room to introduce ourselves, and talk about our previous work experience. Then we did two group exercises. One was a team building exercise and the other we had ten minutes to come up with a pitch for different departments of the store that they selected for each of us. Was kind of difficult and unexpected. The interview was about an hour long.

Interview Questions

• Tell us your name and talk about your previous work experience.   Answer Question