J. C. Penney Interview Questions in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX | Glassdoor

2.8

35 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

I was contacted on Linked In by a HR contractor, we spoke on the phone and I was told she would follow up with next steps in a week. One week later she called to inform me budgets were under review and I wohld hear from here in another week. Well, a month later I was contacted by HR again for another phone interview. The contractor was no longer with the company but she left notes to move forward with me. Basic phone interview asking my background and behavioral questions. next steps were to host a Skype interview. It took another week to two weeks for the Skype call, I met with the buyers and the next day a HR busines partner called me. She told me she would be in touch. I was then brought to their Plano campus for a two hour interview with the VP GMM, buyer, and another HR business partner. Same behavioral questions were asked and the buyer I would be working for askd me personal questions more in depth, as we spoke on the Skype call Previously. I was told by hr i would hear something the next week. Three weeks later and one follow up email it's safe to assume I was not a viable candidate. I am fine it I wasn't a right fit for that pariticlar buyer but I have more than enough experience for the role and have worked at an Associate level before. It's just extremely unprofessional to not follow up or send a generic email declinging my candidancy if that's the case. Overall, they have been slow to respond and everyone in the organization moves at a glacial place but at this point, I have no other choice but to move on due to the lack of response from their team.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to work with a difficult personality?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

This was the most unprofessional experience I have had thus far in an interview process.

First, I speak to one recruiter with no questions other than "tell me about yourself" and then another recruiter saying "tell me about yourself" and then I was moved on to an phone interview with a director of the division. The person never called. I waited six hours before saying anything, to give them the benefit of the doubt that they would. Nothing. I emailed the recruiter and was told to give more of my time and reschedule. No apology or acknowledgement of any kind.

I am willing to take one missed interview (even though they wouldn't) but one companies do this and don't bother apologizing as though it's normal or you're below them, absolutely unprofessional. I just replied and said no thanks. This was the third red flag for me. I was told by the recruiter that long hours are expected and that the VP in that org was "very intense". Strike one and two. Miss my interview because you are so busy and then don't even reach out in any way to apologize? Strike three. No thanks.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

They pick 10 out of 40 people, all must take a survey, if they meet their requirements and terms-you get accepted for an interview in which 4 will get the job based on the interview

Interview Questions

• Motivation for working there   1 Answer

Assistant Apparel Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview process was over-drawn and tedious. It took a month to hear anything from HR, then I was given 2 phone interviews, followed by a request to complete a design assignment. After turning in my assignment, I was never contacted again. I emailed both HR and the hiring manager multiple times over the next month only to finally be told, nearly 3 months after I first applied, that they had decided I was no longer applicable. It was a ridiculous ordeal and I just would have liked to have been given the common courtesy to be told whether I had received the job without having to hound them for the information for a month.

Interview Questions

• You realize this job isn't like the movies right?   1 Answer

Procurement Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX).

Interview

I got an email to invite me to have a phone interview with HR manager from JC penny. She let me choose the time I would be free. She is very nice but JC penny consider about your visa status.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a thing about negotiation. What's your status? Tell me a bout a time you solve a problem.   Answer Question

IT Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

The first round of the interview process involved a 30-minute phone interview with a recruiter/HR employee. The second round was another 30-minute phone interview but with the intention of getting an idea of which IT position you might be placed in after the IT Trainee program. The third and final round was a trip to JCPenney headquarters in Plano, TX and round robin style interviews consisting of three separate interview panels with two interviewers each. The time from my first phone interview to the final round was about 2 weeks.

The final round interviews were surprisingly straightforward and mostly behavioral questions, with a few technical questions to get an idea of your stronger areas. Some of the typical "Tell us about a time when..." questions were asked, but they were slightly different than the usual versions of these questions.

Make sure to have questions for them and show a strong interest in understanding more about the company. I think my lacking in this area was among the main reasons I did not get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you received feedback from peers that you felt was incorrect or unfair.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denton, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Denton, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

I had a group interview where 5 of us had to do a team building exercise. There were no individual interviews. For the team building exercise, we had to look at a picture of a structure for 15 seconds each and then instruct the team on how to build it.

Interview Questions

• What could you have done better during the team building exercise?   1 Answer

Merchandise Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online and a few days later I was contacted by a recruiter to set up a phone interview. The next step was an in-person interview with two buyers and the HR business partner. Each interview was basically the exact same (tell me about yourself then each interviewer asked 4-5 situational questions). They each also asked the last time I had visited a JCPenney, and what they are doing well and what could be done better within the store. Overall I felt the interview process was very redundant - it felt like the same interview three times over. I also felt the amount of situational questions asked was a bit overkill. More could have been asked about my past work experience and what skills I could transfer into the new position. Each interviewer read the questions word-for-word off a piece of paper, so the entire process felt very informal and awkward. I was told a decision would be made by the end of the week, but if I had not heard anything by the next week I should reach out and they would update me on the status. The following week I still hadn't heard back, so I reached out to inquire about the status of the position but never received a response. I know a lot of companies are guilty of "ghosting" interviewees if they are not selected, but this is so unprofessional and inconsiderate, especially after being told to follow up after the interview. The entire process really made me consider if this is the type of company I truly want to work for.

Interview Questions

• I was asked at least 10 different situational questions (tell me a time you made a mistake and how you corrected it, how do you deal with difficult coworkers, have you ever had to deal with a difficult boss, etc).   Answer Question
    • When was the last time you were in a JCPenney? What are we doing well and what can we improve upon?   Answer Question

IT Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone call than an onsite interview. Extremly poor communication from the company as to next steps. Received no feedback whatsoever. I was eager to interview but the interviewers themselves were quick to point out the many financial troubles facing the company and the brick and mortar retail sector. I left the interviews less motivated than when I arrived. If interviewing there, proceed with caution. This is a company that is under extreme duress. Not sure they are a viable long-term option.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions. Interviewers did not seem prepared   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

I met the interviewers on campus at two career fairs. They contacted me after getting my resume and set up an interview on campus. I interviewed with the director of finance and a girl who works on his team. They were very nice, answered all my questions, and kept the conversation going. They told me I was a little over qualified for the position.