J. C. Penney Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,855 Interview Reviews

2.1

Commission Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Saint Louis, MO) in October 2010.

Interview

call store, set up an appointment...I was hired on the spot as I was coming from another JCP store in a different state.

Commissions Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

Had the interview with the store manager, he was very nice and polite.
    Just asked me a little bit about me and told me a general description about the job. We also talked about some trivial stuff. Overall he was really kind and the process was very simple.

Part Time Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Winchester, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Winchester, VA) in October 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very smooth and enjoyable, I did not feel anxious or out of place. The management was sure to make me feel comfortable and even asked if my starting pay was okay with me and other questions that made me feel like I had a choice. The management overall was very friendly.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Sephora inside JCP?   1 Answer

Photographer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (New York, NY) in October 2012.

Interview

First step: Fill out the application. Between two to a week later, you get a call from the supervisor. It was a very basic interview. A conversation between you and the supervisor. It will be no longer than 20 minutes. Why you are interested in the job

Interview Questions

Negotiation

there was none

Photographer/Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Phoenix, AZ) in September 2014.

Interview

The manager called me within a few days of application. I started training a few days after. Training was fast paced and crammed in. I would have like to have a little more time to learn everything rather than getting thrown in right away. The interview process was basically everything I already had on my resume. It wasn't very formal but I suppose it was a good thing considering most employees are high school or college students. Manager offered the position on the spot and called me as soon as my background test came back. It was a fairly simple and quick process.

Interview Questions

• I have been in the workforce since I was 17 so the questions were basic. I was comfortable as was the manager. I suppose if I were younger, some of the questions might have been harder to answer since the work experience might not have been there.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The position was offered and I accepted. This is a seasonal position so there was no room for negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Gaithersburg, MD) in April 2010.

Interview

I was screened by a recruiter over the phone which lasted about 30 minutes. I was then scheduled for a in-person interview with a store manager within the district (Winchester, VA) which was about an hour in length. The third and final interview was with the District Manager and Store Manager that I would be working with in the home store. This interview also lasted about an hour.

Interview Questions

• I never received any congitive or aptitude style testing. The interviews involved standard formatted questioning. i.e., tell me about a time... style questions. Very customer service focused.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no salary negotiation. The offer was made based on years of experience and type of experience and it was a firm offer. The PTO was nice as it was calculated based on total professional years worked EVER after college. For me that was in the 20's. I ended up with over three weeks vacation eligible upon hire.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at J. C. Penney in October 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by a JCP recruiter via Linkedin. We set up a 9am phone interview. They were late calling me by 20 minutes & when they did call there was no apology for having been late, was just told that they were running late that morning & asked if they could call back in 30 mins.
      During the interview I answered their questions precise & to the point however had to repeat my answers later in discussion as if the recruiter was not engaged in the conversation or was not taking notes. The recruiter had me feeling on the defense from the begining, not with their questions, but with their "feedback" to me after I gave them answers they thought I should have worded better. It was an uncomfortable phone conversation, and because they represented the brand so horribly, I did not want to pursue interest with JCP after. They continued to reach out a few times after this interview and ask about how my "job search" was going. I never responded however even received an email asking if I could verify managers at my previous employer 6 months later. This is an isolated non personable recruiter who has zero people skills. I'm quite shocked they are. I have established good relationships with many recruiters that are amazing... This person is not a good representation of JCP especially with JCP is in the middle of re-branding & re-building.

Interview Questions

• All questions were light & low level; 1) tell me about your background/history.
      2) what are you looking for in your next career move. 3) why did you leave your last employer 4) what do you know about the changes JCP's new CEO is implementing right now?   Answer Question

The recruiter wanted to set up an interview with the DM for my market. After telling me the location of the opening he wanted to send me to was an hour past the same position that was open within 10 mins of my house; I declined.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eatontown, NJ

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Eatontown, NJ) in January 2009.

Interview

I felt that the interviewer had an arrogance about him. Really wasnt warm or made you feel at ease.

Assistant Manager Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Riverside, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

I met the recruiter(s) for J.C. Penney at a university job fair. They really want to know if you are willing to learn & not just expecting a job because you have an education. I have a bit of retail experience & using it to show that customer service is a top priority was definitely helpful. Each customer is different & unique in their own way & anyone interviewing for this job should know that.

Assistant Merchandising Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney in April 2017.

Interview

It started out as a phone interview with a recruiter where they just want a basic overview of your experience.Then they move on to an in person interview I interviewed with the person who was leaving the position as well as the GM.They were friendly but I thought were a bit vague when describing the job position and the expectation.Job titles vary from company to company,I believe making clear what that title means for that company and expectations is important.I felt the interview could have had more structure.

Interview Questions

• How I would handle a situation if the GM was not there?   Answer Question