J. C. Penney Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 23, 2017
1,455 Interview Reviews

2.1

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview

It was so basic because at the time they really needed workers. So they took anyone who could form coherent sentences. I had two interviews. They were swift, easy, and had me working right after the second interview.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Tulsa, OK).

Interview

I walked into the office of the Human Resources. Our visit turned into an interview, and she hired me on the spot. There was no second interview. She was very open to the fact that I had never been in retail before, and agreed to work with me.

Interview Questions

• Have I ever worked in retail?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J. C. Penney in February 2017.

Interview

The interviewing process was fairly easy. Myself and three other interviewees participated in a group activity. After the group interview, we were interviewed individually and asked questions pertaining to our application and availability.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview

It was an easy group interview, they just look for your personality and people skills and your potential as a Leaser or follower, then after that they let you know if you are hired.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (New York, NY).

Interview

Pretty straightforward. First a call from HR rep, then quick interview with HR manager. Then in person interview with 3 employees in the department. Then got a call from HR with the offer an details.

Interview Questions

• Walk us through your work experience and how you think it will translate here   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Sacramento, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

The recruiter who contacted me was extremely friendly and just wants to get a general overview of your experience and what peaked your interest in a career with JCPenney. You will then get an interview with a store manager then the regional/market team leaders.
    Not quite sure if this is a company tactic but once I met the store management and field team, the interview feels more like an interrogation than an interview. Very much feel like they are trying to find you lying about your experience.
    I currently work for a large competitor of JCPenney and oversee all store operations including the equivalent JCPenney position I applied for and by the end of the interviews, felt as if I didn't even qualify for their position.

Interview Questions

• Why do you feel you qualify for this position?   Answer Question
    • From your experience in the store being applied for, if anything, what would you change and why?   Answer Question

IT Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone call than an onsite interview. Extremly poor communication from the company as to next steps. Received no feedback whatsoever. I was eager to interview but the interviewers themselves were quick to point out the many financial troubles facing the company and the brick and mortar retail sector. I left the interviews less motivated than when I arrived. If interviewing there, proceed with caution. This is a company that is under extreme duress. Not sure they are a viable long-term option.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions. Interviewers did not seem prepared   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

friendly, fast, east, good, they wanted people as seasonal position, computer based, easy to understand. i was able to start working from the very next day. only one person in the interview board

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

They just try to fill spots with if they're in need they'll take anybody and everybody who interviews basically they really don't care about your experience they just want to push you in but once your hired in with no real training they pick on every single thing you do and make excuse for why they couldn't train but hey made when you don't know the ins and outs within your first two weeks

Interview Questions

• Have you ever pushed credit because that's all they care about is getting people to open credit cards   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

It was fairly easy, I was called in for an interview and the process was very fast. I was able to have a one on one interview and also a personality test that was part of my online application.

Interview Questions

• What do you hope to learn from the job?   1 Answer