J. C. Penney Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 15, 2017

2.5

234 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview

I submitted application thru their website. A recruiter reached out to me and asked me to fill in a bunch of questionnaires to address my skills and experience. I did. She never got back to me. I sent her a follow up email, she did not respond either. I thought it was pretty unprofessional on their part.

Interview Questions

• How much experience do you have working in a retail, eCommerce environment?   Answer Question

Senior Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

I was contacted on Linked In by a HR contractor, we spoke on the phone and I was told she would follow up with next steps in a week. One week later she called to inform me budgets were under review and I wohld hear from here in another week. Well, a month later I was contacted by HR again for another phone interview. The contractor was no longer with the company but she left notes to move forward with me. Basic phone interview asking my background and behavioral questions. next steps were to host a Skype interview. It took another week to two weeks for the Skype call, I met with the buyers and the next day a HR busines partner called me. She told me she would be in touch. I was then brought to their Plano campus for a two hour interview with the VP GMM, buyer, and another HR business partner. Same behavioral questions were asked and the buyer I would be working for askd me personal questions more in depth, as we spoke on the Skype call Previously. I was told by hr i would hear something the next week. Three weeks later and one follow up email it's safe to assume I was not a viable candidate. I am fine it I wasn't a right fit for that pariticlar buyer but I have more than enough experience for the role and have worked at an Associate level before. It's just extremely unprofessional to not follow up or send a generic email declinging my candidancy if that's the case. Overall, they have been slow to respond and everyone in the organization moves at a glacial place but at this point, I have no other choice but to move on due to the lack of response from their team.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to work with a difficult personality?   Answer Question

Merchandise Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2017.

Interview

I applied for an Assistant Buyer position originally and I was contacted by an HR rep to see if I would be interested in the Merchandise Assistant position instead. We setup a HR screening and when that day came around he HR rep never called. I emailed and waited for a response which I didn't receive until the next day in which the HR rep apologize and wanted to reschedule. So, I gave her and the company the benefit of the doubt and rescheduled. After that I moved on to the next round, where I was interviewed on Skype by 3 different buyers. The first buyer questioned why I applied for this assistant role and not a higher up one with my background and experience. The next two went very well, gave me their contact information, and said they will review and the HR rep will be in contact with me. So, I wrote email thank you to the interviewers later that day. Then last week, I followed up with an email to the HR rep and no response. It's been 3 weeks now, and still no response. After all that happened with the interview process, how far it went, and how much time I put into the process, I think the company should at least give me a response of yes or no.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Buffalo, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online and I was called about a week later. I came in for a group interview and there was five of us. We then did a team exercise where we had to take turns instructing the group on how to build this block structure. We only had 10 seconds to look at the picture of the blocks and then 60 seconds to tell the group how to move the blocks. It was supposed to show them how we worked as a team. They then took us back one by one to ask us questions about our application.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

This was the most unprofessional experience I have had thus far in an interview process.

First, I speak to one recruiter with no questions other than "tell me about yourself" and then another recruiter saying "tell me about yourself" and then I was moved on to an phone interview with a director of the division. The person never called. I waited six hours before saying anything, to give them the benefit of the doubt that they would. Nothing. I emailed the recruiter and was told to give more of my time and reschedule. No apology or acknowledgement of any kind.

I am willing to take one missed interview (even though they wouldn't) but one companies do this and don't bother apologizing as though it's normal or you're below them, absolutely unprofessional. I just replied and said no thanks. This was the third red flag for me. I was told by the recruiter that long hours are expected and that the VP in that org was "very intense". Strike one and two. Miss my interview because you are so busy and then don't even reach out in any way to apologize? Strike three. No thanks.

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2017.

Interview

Very disorganized. I applied over Indeed only in order to receive a very rude email from their general mamager to apply on their website and to make sure to be available on weekends / those shifts are mandatory. Hmm did not like such an approach at all so I submitted my application online with my exact availability times (which is not according to their demands cus I have a family and a life besides retail), and emailed back the genereal manager to let him know that I have applied. 2 days later I missed the call from their HR to schedule an interview so I call back, but she is busy (yelling in the background) and she'll call me back later. She did not call back so I call again the next day but she is off so another HR girl is asking me again about my availability which I stated online and I said that its not going to change. I could tell from the tone of her voice that she was not pleased but she schedules me to come in for an interview a few days later. Meanwhile the other HR person calles me and wants to know again about my availability so at that point I was seriously fed up but did go to the interview just for the heck of it. It was an group interview with high school kids applying for their 1st job - are you kidding me? Luckily there were 2 more adults in that group of 15 people they've called. So we got to play some type of a group "build a block construction game" in a small room with not enough chairs. All of us adults have checked out during that game and when that was over they were calling 1 by 1 of us for an face to face interview. Total time spent there over 2 hours only to be asked : "tell me about yourself" and more explaining about my availability to the same girl I spoke on the phone...really tiring. From her attitude and how she was talking down to me I knew they would never call me back for a 2nd interview with the general manager and quite honest at that point I did not want to hear back from none of them!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashua, NH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Nashua, NH).

Interview

I submitted my resume through Indeed and was contacted by the assistant manager. She asked me to submit an application online and once it was received, she would be contacting me again to set up an interview. I filled out the application , submitting the same information that was on my resume and didn't hear back. I e-mailed the person again to confirm that I had submitted the application and didn't get a response.

Why would a company contact an applicant to schedule an interview if they truly aren't interested?

Jcp Sephora Product Consultant Interview

Interview

They called me and I didn't answer when I called back no one would help get in contact with a hiring manager. I didn't go to the first interview they wanted because of that but they called me to set up another . I went in to a group interview. We got our application back to change anything we needed. Next we made a game where everyone had to do a pitch out two different ideas on the page. I didn't do my pitch very good. But I noticed the interviewer take notes every time someone would say any about anyone else's pitch so I started to speak up. Then she put everyone in parts of the store and we had to pretend that she was the customer. It took 30 mins for her to get to me. It was kinda awkward. I didn't know what to do so I made my stand as nice as I could. She came by with another lady who worked in sephora. I told her hi, how are you? are you looking for anything? I showed her what she was looking for. Then she asked questions I has no idea about like if they had any sells. Then I was sent home. She said I would either get an email if I wasn't hired or a call for another interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sturgis, MS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Sturgis, MS).

Interview

The application process was on a computer in the J. C. Penney store office. After you completed the application you would receive an email letting you know the outcome. Then you went from there.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney in June 2017.

Interview

The interview went well. It was a group interview and there were 11 of us. They asked us to tell our name, job history, why jcp, and interesting fact about ourselves. Then they divided us into 2 groups for a team building exercise called the "Next big thing". It was fun but I would appreciate it if they at least let me know if I didn't get a job or not. The lady said she would email all of us at 5pm the next day but I didn't get any email. I emailed and asked her to confirm if I didn't but she never replied. Very disappointed.