J. C. Penney Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 19, 2017

2.5

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Sacramento, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

The recruiter who contacted me was extremely friendly and just wants to get a general overview of your experience and what peaked your interest in a career with JCPenney. You will then get an interview with a store manager then the regional/market team leaders.
    Not quite sure if this is a company tactic but once I met the store management and field team, the interview feels more like an interrogation than an interview. Very much feel like they are trying to find you lying about your experience.
    I currently work for a large competitor of JCPenney and oversee all store operations including the equivalent JCPenney position I applied for and by the end of the interviews, felt as if I didn't even qualify for their position.

Interview Questions

• Why do you feel you qualify for this position?   Answer Question
    • From your experience in the store being applied for, if anything, what would you change and why?   Answer Question

IT Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone call than an onsite interview. Extremly poor communication from the company as to next steps. Received no feedback whatsoever. I was eager to interview but the interviewers themselves were quick to point out the many financial troubles facing the company and the brick and mortar retail sector. I left the interviews less motivated than when I arrived. If interviewing there, proceed with caution. This is a company that is under extreme duress. Not sure they are a viable long-term option.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions. Interviewers did not seem prepared   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (New York, NY).

Interview

I had to wait over an hour to get interviewed, which obviously upset me a little. The woman who interviewed me apologized and said she had to help a customer, which was okay. She was very nice and didn't make me feel nervous at all.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at JCPenney?   2 Answers

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisburg, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Harrisburg, PA).

Interview

Applied on their website. Took less then a week and they gave me a call to set up an interview. Went in 15 mins before it started and it was a group interview, me and 3 other people. They stress that you be available on black friday and christmas and stressed seeking jcpenny credit cards to customers. They made us watch a video and talk about what happen in the video. & we have to do one more activity. It went well but they never called back.

Temporary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bernardino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (San Bernardino, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview was quite different than most. It was more of a group effort interview. Together we worked to pick a scenario that would benefit the company. We later then had to pitch the idea to the interviewer.

Salon Stylist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nampa, ID

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Nampa, ID).

Interview

Amazing! Great high energy, friendly and fun. I felt very comfortable asking my questions. The manager made me feel welcome there and I left feeling like this was where I want to be. She really took the time to explain their goals and policies and her enthusiasm for the future of the salon and her stylists was inspiring.

Interview Questions

• Can I come in for a technical interview.   1 Answer

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hammond, LA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Hammond, LA).

Interview

I walked into the store and asked one of the employees if they were hiring. They said that they were and led me to the break room where I used a computer to apply for the position and then I was taken to see the manager and given a brief overview of what would happen the next Tuesday.

Buying Planning Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (College Station, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

Very laid back atmosphere in the interview room, friendly and warm women I met that also performed the interview. I met her at career fair the previous day and was invited to interview at the university I attend, we talked casually before she proceeded to some situational and past experience questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had multiple priorities and a time limit, and how you handled the situation.   1 Answer

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silverdale, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Silverdale, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Was a fun group Interview. Was 5 others and we had to build something. It was broken into steps so each person had a chance to instruct the rest of the team. At the end I didn't get it but was given advice on what to work on.

Mechandise Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chico, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Chico, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Easy to apply to, just a basic online application. The interview process however was not very well handled. They use a group interview process to fill one position, which is neither efficient or easy to identify good candidates. They had a block building exercise at the start of the interview that is better used as a team building exercise for current team members and not for the hiring process, especially since there was only one opening and we would most likely never work with these people on anything again. The questions were your basic, run of the mill questions you get at most interviews. I have conducted many interviews myself in the past and the entire process felt rushed and disorganized for a company of this size.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had to handle a difficult situation with a customer.   Answer Question