J. C. Penney Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,514 Interview Reviews

2.1

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Frisco, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

They literally only called to know what my availability was, then they said that I would only start out at 8.00/hr because I had no experience. After that, they told me that they needed to do a background check and then within a few hours, they called back, told me it came back clear, then set me up with orientation.

Decorator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Very pleasant and informative, interviewed at a remote location, never given any paperwork or contract. Interviewer initially would not talk to me about opportunities in my local area. Only offered me a location not in good commuting range. DM later offered a position within a better commute range. Interviewer did not arrive on time and the did not give any paperwork or contract to sign .

Interview Questions

• Would you consider taking a managerial role instead?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

First Interview was a group interview. There were 3 of us, including myself. They made us look at a building structure for 10 minutes and with a team, built it. Then, they gave us a paper with scenario and asked us which was a good marketing technique to get more people to come to JCPenney.

Interview Questions

• Which scenario in the paper is the best   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview

It was so basic because at the time they really needed workers. So they took anyone who could form coherent sentences. I had two interviews. They were swift, easy, and had me working right after the second interview.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Tulsa, OK).

Interview

I walked into the office of the Human Resources. Our visit turned into an interview, and she hired me on the spot. There was no second interview. She was very open to the fact that I had never been in retail before, and agreed to work with me.

Interview Questions

• Have I ever worked in retail?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney in February 2017.

Interview

There was a block building exercise! Kind of like a team building game. If y'all have to do this I suggest work one level at a time and you'll get it done in 10 minutes! Trust me on this! Do not rush.

Interview Questions

• Why I wanted to work there?   Answer Question
    • Why I would make a good part of their team?   Answer Question
    • Finally, some basic questions about ourselves. Be honest, don't blow blow smoke, because they are trying to figure out which department you'd work best in!   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't really negotiate because I only had one job before but they did give me the chance to if I wanted! Also said there would be opportunities for me to get a raise based on job performance!

Merchandise Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online and a few days later I was contacted by a recruiter to set up a phone interview. The next step was an in-person interview with two buyers and the HR business partner. Each interview was basically the exact same (tell me about yourself then each interviewer asked 4-5 situational questions). They each also asked the last time I had visited a JCPenney, and what they are doing well and what could be done better within the store. Overall I felt the interview process was very redundant - it felt like the same interview three times over. I also felt the amount of situational questions asked was a bit overkill. More could have been asked about my past work experience and what skills I could transfer into the new position. Each interviewer read the questions word-for-word off a piece of paper, so the entire process felt very informal and awkward. I was told a decision would be made by the end of the week, but if I had not heard anything by the next week I should reach out and they would update me on the status. The following week I still hadn't heard back, so I reached out to inquire about the status of the position but never received a response. I know a lot of companies are guilty of "ghosting" interviewees if they are not selected, but this is so unprofessional and inconsiderate, especially after being told to follow up after the interview. The entire process really made me consider if this is the type of company I truly want to work for.

Interview Questions

• I was asked at least 10 different situational questions (tell me a time you made a mistake and how you corrected it, how do you deal with difficult coworkers, have you ever had to deal with a difficult boss, etc).   Answer Question
    • When was the last time you were in a JCPenney? What are we doing well and what can we improve upon?   Answer Question

Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Deer Park, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Deer Park, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

It was a Saturday morning interview. Very easy and uneventful. It was a group interview and was asked what hours and days we were available. What experience did we have. I received a call back a few hours later with an offer. I received the results of my background check in a few days. No records found. I never heard back from the guy who offered me the position. I left several messages and he never called back. My background check was clean yet he never called me in for orientation. Very unprofessional and a waste of time and money. I understand if he changed his mind but a phone call or email would have been appreciated. Now I don't know why I never received a call back and makes me insecure on other job interviews. I passed the background check so I'm confused as to why he didn't call me back even after I left numerous messages.

Interview Questions

• What position did you apply for?
      How many years of retail experience do you have.
      Are you comfortable trying to push credit cards?
      Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview

It was an easy group interview, they just look for your personality and people skills and your potential as a Leaser or follower, then after that they let you know if you are hired.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (New York, NY).

Interview

Pretty straightforward. First a call from HR rep, then quick interview with HR manager. Then in person interview with 3 employees in the department. Then got a call from HR with the offer an details.

Interview Questions

• Walk us through your work experience and how you think it will translate here   Answer Question