J. C. Penney Interview Questions in Plano, TX | Glassdoor

J. C. Penney Interview Questions in Plano, TX

Updated Apr 22, 2017

Procurement Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX).

Interview

I got an email to invite me to have a phone interview with HR manager from JC penny. She let me choose the time I would be free. She is very nice but JC penny consider about your visa status.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a thing about negotiation. What's your status? Tell me a bout a time you solve a problem.   Answer Question

IT Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

The first round of the interview process involved a 30-minute phone interview with a recruiter/HR employee. The second round was another 30-minute phone interview but with the intention of getting an idea of which IT position you might be placed in after the IT Trainee program. The third and final round was a trip to JCPenney headquarters in Plano, TX and round robin style interviews consisting of three separate interview panels with two interviewers each. The time from my first phone interview to the final round was about 2 weeks.

The final round interviews were surprisingly straightforward and mostly behavioral questions, with a few technical questions to get an idea of your stronger areas. Some of the typical "Tell us about a time when..." questions were asked, but they were slightly different than the usual versions of these questions.

Make sure to have questions for them and show a strong interest in understanding more about the company. I think my lacking in this area was among the main reasons I did not get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you received feedback from peers that you felt was incorrect or unfair.   Answer Question

IT Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

JCPenney had a very smooth and thorough interview process. Everyone I spoke to was very nice and genuine. The whole process was also organized and timely. Overall I thought they did a good job and it was a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between Java and Javascript?   1 Answer

Merchandise Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online and a few days later I was contacted by a recruiter to set up a phone interview. The next step was an in-person interview with two buyers and the HR business partner. Each interview was basically the exact same (tell me about yourself then each interviewer asked 4-5 situational questions). They each also asked the last time I had visited a JCPenney, and what they are doing well and what could be done better within the store. Overall I felt the interview process was very redundant - it felt like the same interview three times over. I also felt the amount of situational questions asked was a bit overkill. More could have been asked about my past work experience and what skills I could transfer into the new position. Each interviewer read the questions word-for-word off a piece of paper, so the entire process felt very informal and awkward. I was told a decision would be made by the end of the week, but if I had not heard anything by the next week I should reach out and they would update me on the status. The following week I still hadn't heard back, so I reached out to inquire about the status of the position but never received a response. I know a lot of companies are guilty of "ghosting" interviewees if they are not selected, but this is so unprofessional and inconsiderate, especially after being told to follow up after the interview. The entire process really made me consider if this is the type of company I truly want to work for.

Interview Questions

• I was asked at least 10 different situational questions (tell me a time you made a mistake and how you corrected it, how do you deal with difficult coworkers, have you ever had to deal with a difficult boss, etc).   Answer Question
    • When was the last time you were in a JCPenney? What are we doing well and what can we improve upon?   Answer Question

IT Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone call than an onsite interview. Extremly poor communication from the company as to next steps. Received no feedback whatsoever. I was eager to interview but the interviewers themselves were quick to point out the many financial troubles facing the company and the brick and mortar retail sector. I left the interviews less motivated than when I arrived. If interviewing there, proceed with caution. This is a company that is under extreme duress. Not sure they are a viable long-term option.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions. Interviewers did not seem prepared   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

I met with a JCPenny rep at the career fair at my school and he signed me up for an on campus interview for the next week. I interviewed on campus then was called the next day and told that they wanted to bring me in for a second round interview at their corporate office in Plano. They flew me to Dallas for the two day interview along with about 20 other candidates. Around 10 were there to interview for the internship and 10 of us there for the business analyst trainee position. The first day we toured the campus and chatted with some employees in different areas and then we had a panel discussion with former BA trainee's and lastly, we took assessment tests. The next day was the bulk of the interviews with a panel interview with about 3 people that took about 30-45 mins and then a group case study that took about 45 mins.

Interview Questions

• What projects have you used excel in? Talk about a time you had to deal with a lot of numbers/data.   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

I met the interviewers on campus at two career fairs. They contacted me after getting my resume and set up an interview on campus. I interviewed with the director of finance and a girl who works on his team. They were very nice, answered all my questions, and kept the conversation going. They told me I was a little over qualified for the position.

Procurement Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

Process took about 3 weeks. Starting with initial HR phone interview that consisted of basic behaivor questions. Favorite class in college?worst class in college? It was very casual and conversational. Then proceeded to next round of interviews with directors and managers in sourcing and procurement dep. Overall good expeirence, the company is in transition of moving foward and seemed to be a good company to jump on board with.

Interview Questions

• Why you?
      Why JC Penny?
      Why this position?
      Negotiation skills?
      Teamwork?handeling a bad teammate?
      About you?
      Strengths/weaknesses?
      Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter after submitting my application online. Screened by the recruiter and then interiewed with 3 senior allocators and an HR Director. Overall, unprofessional dealings throughout the process. Recruiter lacked communication/with delayed communications, also tried scheduling interviews at a moment's notice with no regard for my schedule. Was asked personal and inappropriate questions by the interview panel, including ages of my children and how many I had. In the end, they told me they would contact me but I never heard back from them. I had already decided it did not seem like a company I wanted to work for with all their red flags, and I wrote them off. But then only to be contacted again a few weeks later by a different recruiter asking me if she could set up time with me, with no prior knowledge I had already been there to interview. It only went to show even more how disorganized they were.

Interview Questions

• At lot of questions on difficult situations I've encountered and how I handled them. I thought there would be more behavioral questions. They asked what I didn't like about my previous role. People that have left reviews said its straight forward, but mine was not. Felt they were trying to ask "trick" questions. Also, one interviewer plainly would ask me "you would have to speak in front of large groups. Does that bother you? Can you do that?" , "would it bother you to work with someone difficult". "Do my categories interest you?" It was clear the person had little interviewing experience and it was just uncomfortable.

There were questions asked about my personal life.

"What's the most difficult function you've used in excel? What did you use most frequently?"
      Answer Question

Finance Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Plano, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

1st round phone/in person interview then straight on to final round at HQ in Plano. 1st day is meet and greet with directors and VPs second day is interviews, 3-4 behavioral/technical. They're actually a really cool bunch--it's almost as if the entire Finance division has a company culture of its own, separate from the rest of the company. Very talented group. Would've loved to accept the offer but seeing as I'm just starting out my career, I wanted to go more towards a general role rather than such a specific industry like retail.