J. C. Penney Retail Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 10, 2017

2.1

48 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Phoenix, AZ) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview was a group interview and the interviewer who was the location's manager said she was hiring solely off of one's personality. She said she did no care about previous employment or skills. Towards the end of the interview she said her assistant would contact us the next regarding whether or not we had received the job, I never got a call back, so I am disappointed.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for J. C. Penney

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview

2 week process. Received a call for a quick phone interview and then a few days later you asked to come into the store. Once there, you and the other applicants sit around the table and play team building games and HR worker observes. Then they bring you to their office for simple questions like your availability.

Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Frisco, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

They literally only called to know what my availability was, then they said that I would only start out at 8.00/hr because I had no experience. After that, they told me that they needed to do a background check and then within a few hours, they called back, told me it came back clear, then set me up with orientation.

Anonymous Employee in Downey, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Downey, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online and I got a call back a week later about an interview and then I got another call back for my second interview and I was offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at J.C. Pennney   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hammond, LA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Hammond, LA).

Interview

I walked into the store and asked one of the employees if they were hiring. They said that they were and led me to the break room where I used a computer to apply for the position and then I was taken to see the manager and given a brief overview of what would happen the next Tuesday.

Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Bakersfield, CA).

Interview

Interviews are typically help on Tuesdays. It's best to apply online and then come in and talk to an HR representative. Once you show initiative they will make it a priority to bring you into the next avavible interview. The interview is done in groups and unlike other jobs you're not competing with the other people their (so be polite & even a big helpful) you'll actually need their help to get hired. You play various games which will test you're team leading skills, you're communication skills and you attention to detail. Very fun interview process.

Interview Questions

• What is loyalty?
      What are you loyal to?
      What's the most important thing in customer service?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hiram, GA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Hiram, GA) in September 2016.

Interview

Talked to the manager on the telephone to set up an appointment. Discussed my experience in retail. Total me what they expected. Only hire part time to begin with.

Interview Questions

• Why I was interested in them. When would I be able to work.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Rancho Cucamonga, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied on a Thursday and received and call on Wednesday for a group interview the next day. This is my first job so I was very nervous but tried my best not to show it. Starting th interview we had to talk about ourselves and our Work expierence. There were 4 other people and we had to do the building block game which was actually fun, after that we had to pitch a idea to the group and choose which one was best ( I didn't do well explaining mine) but I did let them know I enjoyed someone else's pitch and that it would bring in more revenue than any of the other pitches ( mine included) after that we just had to write down our availability and answer why Jcpenney should hire us. We were told we would get a call in 7 days if we get the opportunity for a second interview. I recieved a call the next day for a second interview which will be in a few days. I hope I get the job.

Anonymous Employee in Downey, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Downey, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

I was called for an on phone interview and they told me to go in for a talent tryout also known as a group interview that same week. About a month later I got called for a follow up interview which was a one on one and was offer the job on the spot. Now I'm just waiting to be called for training and it's been 2 weeks already since my one on one.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a situation where you felt pressured ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Concord, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Concord, NC) in May 2016.

Interview

I was called by the HR Manager on a Monday, 2 to 3 weeks after applying. She asked me to tell her about myself and asked some basic questions. She asked if I could come in on Wednesday at 11am for talent tryouts, which is basically a group interview, but with games that require you to work as a team. I got there 25 minutes early. I went to the back offices where I was directed to sit and wait for the HR Manager. She was about 15 minutes early for the interview. I was then directed to sit in an office with a long table and pick up a name-tag with my name on it. There were five other name-tags on the table and a bunch of long, colored blocks, similar to Lincoln logs. At 11 o-clock the HR Manager was starting to get a little peeved, because I was the only one who was there. I guessed something similar had happened before, because when I got there, she had thanked me for showing up. She was very friendly to me and I could tell she was frustrated, because she told me that she had talked to 7 people on the phone, including me, who all said they would be there, but one called in and cancelled, and the rest were no shows. We waited til 11:15 am, then she started asking me questions. We talked about how we both went to cosmetology school, and we actually had a lot in common. She told me she liked me already, and that I was one of her favorites out of the people she talked to on the phone. I was actually really scared of the teamwork game I knew I would have had to play if everyone else had shown up, because I had researched it the night before, and I knew that I was horrible at memory games, although I know that I am a very good team member. I was really relieved I wouldn't have to play the game. After she asked me all her questions, she told me that she was going to go ahead and get the manager for me to talk to. It took awhile to get the manager in, and the HR Manager apologized a couple times. I didn't mind because it was actually a really pleasant interview, and I was just really excited to finally to be so close to getting a job, after I had been looking for a year. The manager came in and was very friendly. She was actually the one who had directed me to sit and wait in the office until the interview started, and I didn't even know it. She asked me some more questions, and was very nice. She smiled a lot, and basically talked about what the job would entail. Mostly fixing clothes, folding, refolding and hanging. I was very honest with my answers. At the end of the interview she told me that my background check would be done in about 4 business days, and that after that, I could start 30 day training. I was also told that most shifts are about 6 hours, but that they would be longer on holidays. Overall, it was a very pleasant interview, and I am really excited to start working there with such nice people. Just know, that I did a lot of research on JCPenneys and their interviews before I went in, and it was VERY helpful. Mae sure you smile a lot, sit up straight, and try to look confident, even if you are really nervous. I was super nervous, but I pulled it together, and had a really great interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I have completely flexible hours and we did not talk about pay at all. I know we will when I go back after my background check is done. I'm not worried about it, so I didn't bring it up. Minimum wage is good for me, although I do need and want more, I'll take anything. So there was no negotiation to be done.