J. C. Penney Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

J. C. Penney Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Feb 21, 2017

1.9

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview

After passing the personality test online, they bring you in and 2 sometimes 3 people interview you. Most of the time it's different department managers, even the assistant store manager (sometimes the store manager). They ask you questions mostly trying to grasp if you have what it takes for that position which you get an explanation and other tips while signing up online and taking the personality quiz.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to sign people up for credit cards, ask them to sign up for the rewards program, and ask them to fill out the customer service survey while following "G.R.E.A.T!"?   1 Answer

Negotiation

(Hey, I'm new at this. Please give me a job. "Are you okay working for peanuts?" Sure. I just need a job. "Sure, we'll pay you in peanuts and only give you a raise MAYBE once a year that may only be 3 cents.")Okay, it was more like, "I am willing to accept entry level, because I have no experience with being a sales associate and would love to learn more."

Other Interview Reviews for J. C. Penney

Anonymous Employee in Puyallup, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Puyallup, WA).

Interview

My original interview in 2009 (I worked at JCP from 2009 - 2012, then again from 2014 - 2015) was a panel interview no longer than 5-10 minutes. My second interview was a group interview where each candidate would perform their own presentation and then do a group activity. Being a retail chain environment, once you have an interview, it feels more like a formality before starting the job and not really a serious interview.

Interview Questions

• How did you feel about that group activity? Was it fun?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (San Antonio, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

Took a week I called like two times , hiring manager called back and set up an interview hired me on the spot. He asked me to tell me about myself what department I'd want to work in what I'm going to school for.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Houston, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

it was easy, hired on the spot. the manager was nice and explained to me on what department she was going to place me in. i am waiting for the call so they can train me, its a part time and sounds easy to handle!

Interview Questions

• what do i see my self doing there?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I asked her how much she was going to pay me. she gave me a reasonable pay because of my experience.

Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Aurora, CO) in October 2016.

Interview

Started with a few questions then a group activity. Later we were pulled aside one by one. The group activity was split into two groups all of us had to work together to get a structure right, it was just to see how well we worked and if we could take the lead.

Interview Questions

• What kind of worker are you?   1 Answer
    • Why should you work for us?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Its was okay nothing too complicated. It was simple.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Victorville, CA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Victorville, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

They had us all meet in one room and talk about ourselves and then gave us each a paper with a promotional idea and we had to come up with a pitch in five minutes then vote on which idea was best.

Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Culver City, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied to jcpenny then 2 weeks later i recieved a call to come in for a group interview! Every staff member was so helpful and nice. they took us into the conference room where we had to Introduce ourselves [keep it as brief and relevant as possible] no need to be shy the interviewers make you feel so good and comfortable i almost forgot it was being interviewed thats how good it was..next we did a quick excerise which is a marketing excerise you must pick 1 option out of 4 and decide which will bring customers in and drives sales you also have to explain why? It cant be to long and cant be to short, then after you work as a group to decide whose idea was the best and why? ...after that it was done and they said they will let us know the same day and i was offered a position 5 minutes after the interview was ovee good luck! have fun and be yourself!

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2016.

Interview

I started off being interviewed by a hiring manager who gave me information about the company and asked easy questions. Basically, it was as if I was already hired because he gave me tips about what I should do as a worker at J.C. Penney. I was then interviewed by another manager who asked me questions about my life and what kind of person I am. Then, I was interviewed by one more manager, who talked me through my work hours and schedule. I was hired on the spot.

Interview Questions

• If a customer asks you where so and so is, how would you respond?   1 Answer
    • Let's say you're the only associate around and there are 4 customers browsing in your area, how would you handle this situation?   1 Answer
    • There are no customers around the workplace, you see an associate around, can you visit them and talk?   1 Answer
    • A family member or old friend comes into the store and greets you, is it okay to sit and chat for, let's say, 10-15 minutes?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

The hiring and interview process was simple and easy. It was a group interview. We all came in and sat down as a group there was 5 of us. Then we were asked to state a fun fact about us and our name and we're presented ideas individually and asked to create a sales pitch out of those two ideas using only one. After the group has to choose one of the ideas pitched and present it as a group. Then, the HR manager called us to interview 1 by 1. At the 1 on 1 interview i was asked many questions and offered the jobs and told the pay at the end.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. Offered a position, asked if i was interested, said yes, she stated pay and that's it.

Anonymous Employee in Jackson, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Jackson, TN).

Interview

we did a mass interview, just had to define customer service. The people that spoke were the ones that got the second interview. I guess they were looking for the out spoken people, not the quiet ones.

Interview Questions

• name a time you provided customer service   1 Answer