J. C. Penney Salon Receptionist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 11, 2017

2.0

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Cookeville, TN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Cookeville, TN) in July 2016.

Interview

Interview was pretty standard, fairly quick. It wasn't too challenging and the manager was friendly. The average interview questions were asked, with the exception of questions regarding my knowledge on the beauty/salon industry.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about salon brand products?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for J. C. Penney

Salon Receptionist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview

I applied for this position the minute I graduated beauty school. My resume attached was a Cosmetology Resume, which had all my internships I've done in school. The manager gave me a call a few days later & was impressed with my internships. The interview was so laid back & we talked about the position, availability, and what my passion was for this industry. I mentioned I love doing hair, & the manager told me her whole life story of hair! Do not mention any other positions other than the receptionist, because it will make her hesitate on hiring you. They don't want to train someone and then have you move positions. Two days later I was hired!

Interview Questions

• What are you most comfortable with doing in this industry?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Bakersfield, CA).

Interview

my interview only consisted of a few questions on my likes and interests and I was told a little of how the salon operated and what my job would entail. I pretty much had the job before the interview so I wouldn't necessarily call it a traditional interview.

Interview Questions

• What kind of hair products or styling tools do you use personally and how could you get a customer interested to purchase those products   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotions

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Tucson, AZ) in October 2015.

Interview

During the interview process for the salon, looks are crucial. You are the face of the salon so you will need to be stylish and well combed. They are looking for people who are outgoing, friendly to talk to, and most importantly obtain a good image (great hair, after-all... it is a salon). You must be well organized and confident enough to talk on the phone to people and especially in person.

Interview Questions

• There will be cases when clients get double booked, how are you going to handle that situation?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate my starting pay although I should have. I would motivate others to do so when applying for this job because $8.25 ended up not being worth the drive when I had to work a minimum of 3 hours.

Salon Receptionist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview

Applied online through the company's website. Salon manager called me within a few days to set up a 1:1 interview with her. Interview was very laid back as she knew that I was a college student looking for a job to get me through school. Asked the basic questions such as "Are you a people person" "Have you ever worked in customer service before?" and a lot of personality questions that went along with the job. Offered me a job once the interview was over.

Anonymous Employee in Lawrence, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Lawrence, KS).

Interview

I interviewed with the store manager. She was very courteous and informative about the position I applied for. The interview didn't take long. I was not offered the position but based on the interview she thought I would be a good fit for the Support Team. I was pleased to know that even though I interviewed for one position, she really listened and understood my strengths to use in a different position.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you gave great customer service?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Tulsa, OK).

Interview

The majority of the application process was done online. When asked to do actual interview, it was just a feel for you personally. The interview was short. When asked to come in, you probably have the job.

Anonymous Employee in Butler, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Butler, PA) in June 2014.

Interview

When I got there I was dressed up and ready. I was informed that the salon manager had called off that day so I spoke with the store manager. She was very nice, but we only talked for less than 5 minutes. The salon manager got back to me about a week later and I started 2 weeks after that.

Interview Questions

• How flexible my schedule was   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Green Bay, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Green Bay, WI) in July 2012.

Interview

I filled out an application online through their website after learning about the open position through an online job search engine. I got a phone call about a week later asking me to come in for an interview. During the day of my interview, I was greeted by a Salon Stylist who showed me around the salon since they were not busy and then went and got the manager that was interviewing me.

The manager was friendly and took me through another tour of the salon and asked me a few questions about salon products. We went into an office to further discuss my skills and abilities. She then brought up that part of the job entails sales of the salon products and that this position would be partially commission based (about 10%). After going through the roles of the position I already knew that this position was not for me. The job says Salon RECEPTIONIST, but it is really just another sales associate job. None of my skills would have been utilized even aside from greeting customers behind a desk occasionally. The rest of the job would be sales and pushing credit cards and pushing salon appointments on people. Not for me.

After doing some job role playing, she basically said "we will call you".

Interview Questions

• Do you have sales experience as this position will require sales and partial commission pay?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Green Bay, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Green Bay, WI) in March 2012.

Interview

I first received a phone interview with the Salon Manager. She asked basic questions like about my work experience and history. Asked me to tell her about myself in a summary and why I chose to apply at JC Penney. She then invited me for an in person interview the following week. She told me to come to the salon at the back of the store and introduce myself to the employees working in the front if they weren't busy and ask for a tour of the salon.

The day came and I went to the store salon and introduced myself and was asked to take a seat and wait for the manager. There was one girl at the front that was busy with customers so I did not get a chance to ask for a tour. The manager came out and introduced herself. She asked if I got a tour and then took me around and gave me one since I did not get one. We then went into a back office and into an interviewing room. She asked pretty general questions and told me about the position. She said it requires some sales and that 10% of income was commission from selling salon products. We discussed my work experience in more detail than on the phone the previous week and after talking about my administrative assistant/receptionist background, it became pretty clear that this was not actually a "receptionist" position. It's simply what they call a Salon Sales Associate.

She seemed pretty impressed with my responses to basic questions and scenarios she gave me and offered me a "2nd" interview with her boss right on the spot. Her boss then came in and asked all the the same questions and gave me the same scenarios to answer. I had learned a lot about the new Marketing Plan JCP has in place and knew all about their new CEO and talked all about that and they both seemed highly impressed.

The final part of the interview is role playing. They had me go out onto the sales floor and go through different scenarios where they pretend to be customers and you try to help them and sell them products. This to me was probably the most difficult part. They really wanted you to know alot about the products and convince them to buy them and then also you must sell a salon service booking.

At the end they said they would be making their decision by the following Monday. I never got a call back by then. Finally about two weeks later I did get a call stating while my skills were impressive, they decided to go with a candidate with more sales experience.

I feel they misrepresented this position. They should not have advertised it as a receptionist position. I have an extensive admin/reception background and more than likely would have declined the offer unless I could have negotiated a decent wage anyway.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the company?   1 Answer
    • If you had to meet a sales goal as a team and one member refused to cooperate, how would you handle it?   1 Answer