J. Crew Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 14, 2017

2.6

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Byron Center, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. Crew (Byron Center, MI) in April 2017.

Interview

Arrived at the store, went up to an associate to inform them I was there for an interview and the associate "shushed" me for apparently talking above a library voice level because I certainly wasn't yelling at her. I had to wait for several minutes as the Store Manager was helping a customer while other associates stood around. Once the Store Manager was ready went to the back room and No notes were taken and she didn't have questions prepared and that's when I knew the interview was for show. Found out at the end that they had an internal application that hadn't been interviewed yet, so my time was completely wasted.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a busy day with lots of tasks to finish   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. Crew (Little Rock, AR) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online and got called for an interview in a week. Felt like the interview went great but unfortunately did not get a job offer. I assume it's because of my lack of retail experience but I don't know that for a fact.

Associate Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at J. Crew (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process was quite deceptive. Instead of being straightforward and honest about the position and the hiring process, their strategy was to give me positive feedback at every stage, leading me to be hopeful about the position and my chances of securing the job. In the end, I found out they'd posted the position without knowing if the budget would allow for a hire. They just wanted to get a nice applicant pool but didn't have any actual positions open.

I initially applied and completed a phone interview a few weeks later. I was then invited to come to the corporate office for an in-person interview where I interviewed with multiple people. The second interviewer perused my resume for the first time when she came in to interview me. She knew nothing of my experience until she walked into that room and it showed. She was uninterested and seemed annoyed that she had to take time out of her day for the interview. After the interviews, I received positive feedback from my initial HR contact and was told they'd contact me with a final decision within 2 weeks.

I of course completed the usual thank you emails after my interview. After not hearing back for 2 weeks, I reach out to my initial HR contact and received a response saying they were still considering my application. After another few weeks, I inquired about where they were in the interview process. Again, they told me they were still considering my application.

After noticing my application had officially been closed for the position, I reached out the my HR contact to get a clear understanding of what happened. That's when she informed me that they didn't have the budget for the position.

With such a well established brand, I expected much more from the HR department and their recruiting process.

Interview Questions

• Why J.Crew? Why this position? What would you bring to the position?   Answer Question

Client Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J. Crew (San Antonio, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

Was first tested on computer for order taking, that was very easy & passed that, then had face to face interview, The person interviewing me was very young, but told me they have been with the company 5+ years. They asked me questions about my previous jobs and then checked my answers with what I had posted on my resume. Some of the usual generic "interview questions" were asked - "tell me about a time you went above & beyond in customer service", "tell me about a time that you wish you had done something different & why", etc.

Interview Questions

• What would you suggest to customer to go with these pants?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at J. Crew (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

If I had to sum up my J.Crew interview experience in one word it would be Discriminatory. Period.
    I applied for a Managerial - Operations position at headquarters in NYC via LinkedIn. I was contacted via email to answer some basic questions regarding salary, why I was looking, etc. After filling out the questions, I was contacted by email asking for a phone interview. This interview lasted around the standard half hour. Gave info about my background, why I was interested in this position, was told what the position was about, etc. Based on this full thirty minute call, the recruiter was able to gauge a good idea of what I was about. She must have been interested in what she heard because the next day I was invited (via email) to an in person interview. Mind you, this is already the 3rd exchange with this person, all the while she kept initiating the next move/round. So I arrive for my interview 15 mins early. Was told to dress business casual. I arrived wearing slacks and a nice blouse and heels. She was late. As soon as she sees me, she looks at me up and down like "uh." Proceeds a fake smile and ushers me in with obvious small talk about the weather. Great. She begins the typical so tell me about yourself. (I thought we covered this already, but ok)...so proceeded to spend 10 mins regurgitating my background. I could already tell by her looks and body language that this was not going to go anywhere. After I tell my background, I asked her if she had any questions for me. *please note: in an interview, you should never have to prompt the interviewer to ask you questions* When I tell you she literally asked me ONE question, I mean it was just ONE question, which had nothing to do with the role itself. After that she asked if I had anymore questions for her...(please note again, that is the standard blow off question). Esp if it's asked by an interviewer in the first 15 mins of your interview. Anyway, she said she was going to go see if anyone else from the team was around to interview and she excused herself for 10 mins. (Note again: if someone has to go "look" for someone else, that's another red flag. If you have an appt to interview, then those individuals are already lined up and time is in their calendar, all they are waiting for is the green light from the initial person you are meeting). So, the person sends another assistant back and says no one is available and apologizes, yada, yada, yada, and says someone will be in touch. No one was ever in touch. To add salt to the wound, they disconnected from me via LinkedIn as well. I know, I checked.
    All in all, I believe this had to do with my appearance. See, I'm a new mom, I'm heavy set up top because I am nursing, but I was still dressed professional and unfortunately Do Not look like a J.Crew model. But what I am is damn good at what I do. And that handle Ops. Had this person been able too see past my size 10 top and size 6 bottom, she would've seen that my reference and recommendations speak for themselves. I said nothing in this interview that I already didn't discuss with her over the phone. Nothing new. All of this was based on appearance. I did follow up after with the courtesy email, "thank you for your time, please let me know next steps." I heard nothing. After speaking with me 3 times and moving me forward each time, you'd think a courteous email back "unfortunately we are moving forward with another candidate" or Something would be sent. But nope, nothing. Which is unfortunate....for them. Because not only did they pass up on a great candidate, they just lost a J.Crew shopper. Because before being in maternity clothes, I was an avid J.Crew shopper and I loved their brand. And if HR is reading this, please do not offer the typical "We are sorry to hear about your experience, etc." instead, invest the time in educating your teams on diversity and please send them to some type of sensitivity training, because the worst part about this is that my interviewer was a woman herself.

Sincerely,
    A new, size 10, breastfeeding mom & former J.Crew shopper

Interview Questions

• Email: Are you looking to relocate in order to work here?   1 Answer
    • In person: How would you handle delivering difficult news to a senior executive? (Ironic, no?)   1 Answer

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J. Crew (Torrance, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

There were two interviews. One with the sales manager and one with the district store manager. The entire process took about two weeks. Both interviews went well, yet no job offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Why Jcrew? What is the difference between a client and a customer?   Answer Question

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at J. Crew (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied online through J. Crew's career website. I got contacted a day after I applied online. For my first interview, I met with HR and the designers who I would be working with. I was assigned to do a project and then present to designers and directors. The process took 2+ months.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Why do you want to work at J.Crew? What designers do you admire?   Answer Question

Sales Associate, J Crew Mercantile Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Susquehanna, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at J. Crew (Susquehanna, PA) in May 2016.

Interview

Emailed to schedule interview and then met at the store to interview and took about 1 hour. He said that he had a lot of college students returning to work for the summer and I had very low availability, so this is why I was not offered the job.

Customer Insights Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview

I first went through a phone screening and then I was asked to do a case study. I did not receive a call back following the completion of the case study. The overall process was straight forward and simple.

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview

Contacted by HR, had a phone screen, about a two week gap and then an in person interview about a month later. after three weeks they followed up and said I didn't make the second round.

Interview Questions

• Background, experience, etc. -- "When considering expansion, should we open a lot, or just a few J-Crew stores at once?"   1 Answer