J. Crew Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 17, 2017

2.2

Merchant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at J. Crew (New York, NY) in August 2012.

Interview

A lengthy process involving multiple visits. HR provided little background info to asset in prepping. First round I met with 4 different people. Second round I had a surprise style-out with a Merchant and then met with the VP and EVP of Merchandising. On my third round, I met with people from outside of the area I was interviewing for and then finally met with Mickey Drexler. It was a very abnormal interview, as they typically are with him.

Interview Questions

• Mickey fired off questions non-stop asking me about biggest risks I'd taken with follow ups on how much I bought, why didn't I buy more, how did this impact my business. His final question was "are you a good merchant?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was not told what my actual job would be and therefore had little room to negotiate. They feel that so many people want to get in with the company that little negotiating happens.

Supervisor Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at J. Crew (Asheville, NC) in May 2013.

Interview

I went in for a series of panel interviews all in one day. The first interview they really drilled me with difficult situations that there was no way I could have had the answers to. They just wanted to see how well I responded to stressful situations. The second interview was more laid-back; it was with different people and it was more of a getting-to-know-me type deal.

Interview Questions

• They were all situational-based questions specific to their company. Obviously, there was no way I could know the correct answer, but they wanted to see how I responded to it all. After I answered the questions, they would say, "very good. Here is how we would handle the situation."   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at J. Crew in August 2016.

Interview

Recruiting Manager contacted me first. We had a phone interview that was very in depth and really challenged me. The next step was with the district manager and was much more laid back. It was about my career goals and aspirations and where I wanted to go with J Crew. Then they moved me on to the Store Director. Our conversation was more interview questions but with specifics to her Store.

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at J. Crew (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in March 2016.

Interview

Group interview and had us all (about 10 of us) seated in a semi circle and went round asking questions about the company and ourselves and our career goals.
    We were brought in before he store opened so around 9am ish

Interview Questions

• What wakes you up in the morning?
      When was J Crew founded (SO IMPORTANT KNOW THIS)
      Why do you want or would you like to work in retail?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. Crew (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

I had a phone interview with HR.
    One week after phone interview, I had onsite interview with 3 designers including creative director at headquarter office. I waited in the room for designers and the interview took more than 3 hours.

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J. Crew (Washington, DC) in July 2015.

Interview

It took 3 interviews and over 2 weeks to get .50 over minimum wage. I walked in and applied immediately. After I applied I got a call back (after calling them of course)and did an interview which I wasn't sure I did well because I cant afford to shop at J.Crew so I didn't know much. I had to do two more interviews and then I got hired.

Interview Questions

• The questions were about J. Crews products, company history, and other things you have to be a die hard J. crew fan to know.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was simple I don't know the proper rate of pay so there wasn't much negotiating

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J. Crew (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

They were very thorough and open to questions and it was an interactive experience. I felt like I learned a lot about them even though I did not get a job offer.

Non - Retail Managerial Level Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at J. Crew (New York, NY).

Interview

I received an email asking me to schedule a phone interview. I spoke with a recruiter for 45 minutes. Two weeks later the same recruiter scheduled another phone interview that promised to be shorter. A week later I got an in person interview. I was told I was going to meet with the same recruiter and another person from the team. The recruiter mirrored the first phone interview; then I met with a team member. I thought that was done but another team member came in to interview me as well although I was not told that this would be the case. That added up to about 2.5 hours. I went for another in person interview a few weeks later. I was told I would meet with two other team members (thankfully this time this was accurate) and the recruiter. Recruiter never showed and I was told I could leave. That took about 3 hours. I emailed the recruiter asking about the next steps. She emailed me a week later saying she would get back to me. A few days later she called and left a message saying they have decided to go with another candidate. Then a few days later I found the same job re-posted on their careers website. I get that they have decided not to hire me, but I'd rather that I receive the accurate information than be told that they are going to hire someone else than see the job opening posted again, which means the position is still open. Should i be thankful then that they at least had the decency to call and not just blow me off?

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for J. Crew? Why are you looking to leave your current role? Why are you the best candidate?   Answer Question

Merchandise Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at J. Crew (New York, NY) in November 2013.

Interview

The interviews were set up to be back to back. On the 1st visit, I met with several groups of people who came into the small office where I was sitting - HR recruiter, 2 managers from different areas, and 4 different directors and a VP from a different area of the business. The processes felt LONG, so it was good that I was prepared for this alert and hydrated! The next round, I met a VP and a Director and my meetings ran over time, so I had to call back to my office and get my colleague to cover for me.

Interview Questions

• What do you think are the most important pieces of information in an Open-to-Buy, and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Good, fair. They were able to be flexible on start date, bonus and vacation. But were not able to negotiate title.

Visual Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at J. Crew (Providence, RI) in March 2015.

Interview

I walked in for an application. The manager asked me a series of questions on the spot. We got along well and told me he would hand my resume to the hiring manager and gave me a business card. I did not hear back for two weeks so I called the number on the card to check in. It took three tries but I was finally invited in for an interview. It went very well and I was offered the position a few days later.

Interview Questions

• What is your availability like?   1 Answer