J. Crew Interview Questions | Glassdoor

J. Crew Interview Questions

Updated Jun 15, 2017

2.2

Anonymous Employee in Short Hills, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. Crew (Short Hills, NJ) in August 2016.

Interview

The hiring manager was young and very nice to me. The paperwork was voluminous but mostly involved signing in several areas. We did have to go to another store for training.

Interview Questions

• They gave us several scenarios to consider. We actually tried on clothing and discussed how to accessorize the choices.   1 Answer

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J. Crew (Skokie, IL).

Interview

I walked in to the store and asked for an application. The interview was really informal and brief. interview was in the back room. I was hired on the spot for a seasonal sales position.

Interview Questions

• If I had sales experience (no), what I wanted my schedule to be like, other basic questions. Nothing tricky.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at J. Crew (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

If I had to sum up my J.Crew interview experience in one word it would be Discriminatory. Period.
    I applied for a Managerial - Operations position at headquarters in NYC via LinkedIn. I was contacted via email to answer some basic questions regarding salary, why I was looking, etc. After filling out the questions, I was contacted by email asking for a phone interview. This interview lasted around the standard half hour. Gave info about my background, why I was interested in this position, was told what the position was about, etc. Based on this full thirty minute call, the recruiter was able to gauge a good idea of what I was about. She must have been interested in what she heard because the next day I was invited (via email) to an in person interview. Mind you, this is already the 3rd exchange with this person, all the while she kept initiating the next move/round. So I arrive for my interview 15 mins early. Was told to dress business casual. I arrived wearing slacks and a nice blouse and heels. She was late. As soon as she sees me, she looks at me up and down like "uh." Proceeds a fake smile and ushers me in with obvious small talk about the weather. Great. She begins the typical so tell me about yourself. (I thought we covered this already, but ok)...so proceeded to spend 10 mins regurgitating my background. I could already tell by her looks and body language that this was not going to go anywhere. After I tell my background, I asked her if she had any questions for me. *please note: in an interview, you should never have to prompt the interviewer to ask you questions* When I tell you she literally asked me ONE question, I mean it was just ONE question, which had nothing to do with the role itself. After that she asked if I had anymore questions for her...(please note again, that is the standard blow off question). Esp if it's asked by an interviewer in the first 15 mins of your interview. Anyway, she said she was going to go see if anyone else from the team was around to interview and she excused herself for 10 mins. (Note again: if someone has to go "look" for someone else, that's another red flag. If you have an appt to interview, then those individuals are already lined up and time is in their calendar, all they are waiting for is the green light from the initial person you are meeting). So, the person sends another assistant back and says no one is available and apologizes, yada, yada, yada, and says someone will be in touch. No one was ever in touch. To add salt to the wound, they disconnected from me via LinkedIn as well. I know, I checked.
    All in all, I believe this had to do with my appearance. See, I'm a new mom, I'm heavy set up top because I am nursing, but I was still dressed professional and unfortunately Do Not look like a J.Crew model. But what I am is damn good at what I do. And that handle Ops. Had this person been able too see past my size 10 top and size 6 bottom, she would've seen that my reference and recommendations speak for themselves. I said nothing in this interview that I already didn't discuss with her over the phone. Nothing new. All of this was based on appearance. I did follow up after with the courtesy email, "thank you for your time, please let me know next steps." I heard nothing. After speaking with me 3 times and moving me forward each time, you'd think a courteous email back "unfortunately we are moving forward with another candidate" or Something would be sent. But nope, nothing. Which is unfortunate....for them. Because not only did they pass up on a great candidate, they just lost a J.Crew shopper. Because before being in maternity clothes, I was an avid J.Crew shopper and I loved their brand. And if HR is reading this, please do not offer the typical "We are sorry to hear about your experience, etc." instead, invest the time in educating your teams on diversity and please send them to some type of sensitivity training, because the worst part about this is that my interviewer was a woman herself.

Sincerely,
    A new, size 10, breastfeeding mom & former J.Crew shopper

Interview Questions

• Email: Are you looking to relocate in order to work here?   1 Answer
    • In person: How would you handle delivering difficult news to a senior executive? (Ironic, no?)   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at J. Crew (Phila, PA).

Interview

I came on time and I had to wait for the manager to come back. when she came back we went to a sitting area in the mall and began our interview. She was very friendly and welcoming while talking and listening to me. It began to feel like I was talking to an old friend. I was hired on the spot and I stayed there for a couple months until I got another job offer.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. Crew in July 2016.

Interview

Two employees conducted the interview with me in the (tiny) back room adjacent to the sales floor where they proceeded to ask me a series of brief questions. It lasted approximately 10-15 minutes. Very casual. We also covered my schedule and desired hours. Questions were very easy to answer and the employees who conducted the interview were relaxed and personable. They told me what would be required of me should I be hired and asked if I myself had any questions regarding the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell us of an example where you went above and beyond at work.

Why do you want to work specifically for J Crew?

What was your most difficult interaction with a customer and how did you handle the situation?

How would you describe your sense of style?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J. Crew (Dallas, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied online and received a phone call the next day. Very fast, easy questions about experience. The store manager was very friendly. She focused on my work experience and personal background.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Just be yourself and look Jcrew like.

Sales Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. Crew (Nashville, TN) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied online and waiting for a response. A little less than two weeks later I received a call to set up an interview. It was a quick face to face interview about the position's duties and how general questions about customer service.

Interview Questions

• What is the best experience you can have with a customer?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

Very straightforward. Met with the manager of the store and had a short talk. It was mostly general questions about myself and past experiences. Later found out that I got the job.Very straightforward. Met with the manager of the store and had a short talk. It was mostly general questions about myself and past experiences. Later found out that I got the job.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview

A brief phone interview followed by an in person interview asking questions about who you are and past work experience. I was offered the position after the second interview. It was very simple and they really just wanted to get to know who they were hiring. Its ok if you don't have previous retail experience, they are able to train you. The interview was very relaxed and friendly as is the staff.

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J. Crew (Memphis, TN).

Interview

I met with the store director and store manager. I interviewed with the store manager and received an offer shortly after m interview. She asked me standard interview questions and also asked me person questions because she cared to get to know me.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle an angry customer?   1 Answer