J D Wetherspoon Interview Questions | Glassdoor

J D Wetherspoon Interview Questions

Interviews at J D Wetherspoon

2.1

Kitchen Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wimborne Minster, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at J D Wetherspoon (Wimborne Minster, England (UK)) in June 2014.

Interview

Straightforward 1 to 1 interview and group induction process. Online and on the job training given for skills in the kitchen, health and safety, ethics and diversity, etc. etc. Questions in induction concerning how you would deal with certain situations. Made aware of company policies and procedures e.g. SOPs, CQSMA, Challenge 25 etc. Most managers involved in the process were personable and easy to get on with.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when you had to lead a team.
      What are your motivations for applying for this role?
      What previous customer experience have you had?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Company had known previous employee experience of one of my friends in the same role which helped.
    Was able to negotiate hours and shifts and holiday without much of a problem (as long as you do this well in advance).

Kitchen Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at J D Wetherspoon in August 2015.

Interview

Arrived and told the person at the bar I was here for an Interview and they went and got the person Interviewing me. I had the Interview within the staff room with two shift leaders interviewing me. The Interview was relaxed though one of the people interviewing me was chatty and friendly while the other seem very disinterested and kinda annoyed which made me feel a bit uneasy.

Kitchen Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at J D Wetherspoon (Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

Applied online through Indeed with no real work experience to speak of. Was invited to an interview soon after. Informal chatty interview with the head chef/manager in the bar upstairs. They asked me what I knew about the company, and I believe my answer to this question was what got me the job. The guy's face lit up as soon as I started reciting Wetherspoons' wikipedia article to him.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the company?   1 Answer

Kitchen Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J D Wetherspoon.

Interview

After arriving and greeting the bartender, I was instructed to take a seat and wait for the manager. I was sat there for a while, and the manager was quite late (around 20 minutes if I recall correctly). Once the interview process began I was sat down with the manager and another person taking notes.

Kitchen Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hitchin, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at J D Wetherspoon (Hitchin, England (UK)) in December 2017.

Interview

Very chill, sat at table and talked about the role I was applying for, asked me some questions about myself and any experience I have had. We talked about what would we expected of me and then I was shown around the pub.

Kitchen Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gloucester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at J D Wetherspoon (Gloucester, England (UK)) in July 2018.

Interview

Interview was very quick, manager had basically decided as i sat down if i was good enough to get the job or not. Was dressed formally which is apparently rare for staff who apply for the spoons however, I would still recommend this to anyone else who applied. Questions fairly simple, classic interview questions and would like some brief knowledge on what you know about the wetherspoons. Knowing what day dots and SOPs are might also be beneficial for your interview. Smiling is also key, so make sure you do so.

Kitchen Associate Interview

Interview

Applied online which took around 30 minutes. I was then invited for an interview around 4 days later.
    Interview took place at the pub and lasted around 15 minutes. A drink was provided and a number of standard interview questions were asked on the importance of teamwork and knowledge of the company.

Kitchen Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Crewe, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at J D Wetherspoon (Crewe, England (UK)) in July 2014.

Interview

Had an informal interview with the manager, discussed the role in detail. One of the main things she asked was what I already knew about Wetherspoons, their history, the charities they work with etc.

Once I passed this section the next stage was a trial shift in the kitchens. Just keep as busy as possible and ask questions as you go.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about J D Wetherspoons?   1 Answer

Kitchen Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J D Wetherspoon in August 2015.

Interview

Applied online which involved simple numeracy, literacy and scenario tests and then a personality test too. Phone call about a week later offering an interview with the kitchen leader for two days later.

Offered a drink upon arrival and got took to the staff room as it was quieter. Was made to feel at ease and interviewer was very friendly and easy to talk to.

Lasted around 20 minutes and was asked to go for a trial the following week. Mentioned induction is the next stage after that which always takes place on a Sunday.

They have smiley faces at the bottom of yhe sheet that indicate how much you smiled throughout the interview. I didn't see her tick any off, which I was under the impression they do but she may have done it after I left

Interview Questions

• talk me through your past experience   Answer Question
    • what can you tell me about JD Wetherspoons   Answer Question
    • what is your best quality   Answer Question
    • why is it important to work in a team   Answer Question
    • has there been a time you have worked in a team and been proud of it? for what reason?   Answer Question
    • what do you think will be yhe hardest aspect of working here   Answer Question
    • if you are successful, do you see yourself staying with us for a long amount. where do you see yourself in two years?   Answer Question
    • have you ever had to deal with an angry customer? if so, how did you deal with it?   Answer Question
    • do you feel it is important for kitchen and bar staff to have a good relationship with the customers   Answer Question
    • scenario:
      customer unhappy with food. it is sent back to the kitchen during a busy period. how would you deal with this?   Answer Question
    • scenario:
      a customer has complained about the waiting time for orders when we are short staffed and very busy. what woukd you do?   Answer Question
    • when are you available?   Answer Question
    • do you have any salary expectations?   Answer Question
    • if you are successful, when can you start?   Answer Question
    • why do you want to work here   Answer Question
    • how do you keep yourself motivated   Answer Question
    • if the other staff you work with are in a worse mood than you, how would you deal with this?   Answer Question

Kitchen Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J D Wetherspoon.

Interview

Good interview. Questions you would expect from an interview. Applied online, got a call from Weatherspoon asking me to come in for an interview. Went in the following week, dressed smart, met one of the managers. Got a call the next day that I was successful and to go in the next day to be inducted.