J H Darbie &Co Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

J H Darbie &Co Intern Interview Questions

Updated Feb 9, 2017

2.5

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at J H Darbie &Co (New York, NY).

Interview

Why is your GPA of 3.5 so low? Why did it take you 4 years to graduate? Why should I hire you when I am such a busy man myself? Did you read the WSJ (when its blatantly obvious the interviewers themselves did not)?
Also, We were given a false exam with no real financial questions and once the test was finished, there was no review of it or even tell us our scores. It seems as if the tests were thrown away as soon as the interview was finished.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer: if I am Michael Jordan of cold calling, do I have time to waste on you?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for J H Darbie &Co

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J H Darbie &Co (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

There was almost no interview process. The interviewer only talked about what kind of work will have and what typical daily hour is. He asked us about our resume, introducing ourselves. The most of time he wasn't asking us questions, but talking about his firm. I was glad to hear his work experience and to know about this firm, but this firm seems do not have that much to do with institutional investors, but rich privates.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at J H Darbie &Co (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview began with a test including accounting, finance and analytical questions; then, you will talk with Arthur, the big boss. He seems nice. Arthur will ask you whether you've read Wall Street Journal or not. Then, he will ask you about the market. I did not get behavior questions.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at J H Darbie &Co (New York, NY) in July 2014.

Interview

I was first contacted regarding my internship application by phone. The recruiter asked me questions about my interest in the internship, what I saw myself doing, etc... I was invited to come in for an interview. The day of the interview, I was given an exam with an assortment of questions; the first part covered the basics of finance and the second part was more of a brain teaser. The interview was a group interview, and we were told what the internship would consist of and what to expect.

Interview Questions

• Sell me an invisible pen. Tell me what you know about what's going on in the economy today.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Because the internship is unpaid, this did not apply.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at J H Darbie &Co (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

Arthur, who looks like a guy who would valet your car and wearing a costume bought at a thrift shop, came in and tried to convince me that he was better than me in every way. So degrading. Also they make you take a test in the beginning, but if you have taken finance 101 you will ace it

Interview Questions

Negotiation

ZERO

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at J H Darbie &Co (New York, NY).

Interview

Very unethical and unprofessional interview process. Workers there posses a low level of intellect. Walked in, and they gave me a written exam for 30 minutes then interviewed me after that. Arthur is a guy who thinks he knows how to run a show. I was laughing inside myself during the entire interview process.

Interview Questions

• Written Test: (30 min)
      4 pages long
      About 10 MC questions about calculating market cap given number of outstanding stock etc., t bonds, tax liability, real vs nominal interest, Dow theory

Extended response:
      -Square root of 2000?
      -Math problem about speed and distance
      -How many guesses to find a number from 1-1000 if your are told "higher or lower" each time you guess
      -How far is Russia from US?
      -How to cut cake into 8 pieces from three slices
      -Tell me about what happened in US in last 10 years
      -Tell me about your life from Kindergarten onwards
      -Would you accept NO from 7 out of 10 customers?
      -Whats your dream job and where?

In person interview:
      Why should we hire you?, What are your interests? Tell me one thing from the Wall Street Journal that effects the stock market? Pitch me a stock? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      Answer Question

This job is for people who have high work ethic, low level intellect and can be easily manipulated by higher management. They look for just that.

Intern Interview

Interview

The man was so rude and keep asking terms on the wall street.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at J H Darbie &Co (New York, NY) in August 2013.

Interview

There was a 15-20 minute phone interview going over your resume and basic questions related to the markets. After passing the phone screen you were brought in to interview with a group. There you were given short exam on various topics--finance, accounting, economics. Most of the questions were not too bad if you've studied the subjects some.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at J H Darbie &Co (New York, NY) in April 2013.

Interview

I had the interview with them in 2013, two years ago actually. I found the job post on Craigslist (big red flag here!!) because I was only a freshman then and didn't know anything. They took me to a room and told me to take a "test," which mainly consisted of brain teasers, nothing finance. There were already 3 interviewees there when I got in and later I figured they were unemployed and uneducated. Then they tried to intimidate us, saying that in order to do finance, we had to do grunt and dirty work like cold callings etc. They said they were looking for people who were poor, desperate for money and willing to work 24/7. One of the interviewers even judged one intern who asked for a lunch break because he thought people in finance should not eat lunch blablabla...later, they also made empty promises like..if you do well, we will recommend you to get into Goldman Sachs..something like that...

Before I entered the "interview room", I accidentally went on their "trading floor" and saw most of their interns/employees looked like international students or immigrants who didn't know how American society should work. They also seemed to take everyone who showed up at the interview.

I am from a IB target school and this experience had a deeply negative impact on me and even intimidated me from doing finance for a long time. Until I interned at a bulge bracket bank one year after this interview, did I finally realize finance was not exactly what they were talking about.

I am posting this to reflect upon myself and would like my readers to know: If you are really desperate for a finance job, do well in school, network with your alumni, start at a place with healthy and professional environment, not some sweatshop like that.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at J H Darbie &Co (New York, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

They ask questions to see if you know anything about the financial world. They try and figure out if you are a hard worker because the last thing they want to do is waste their time on someone who isn't willing to give it everything they have.

Interview Questions

• Why should we choose you specifically for the internship program?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Show up and be prepared to learn and work.