J H Darbie &Co Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 9, 2017

2.5

Sale Trading Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at J H Darbie &Co (New York, NY).

Interview

group interview, very brief, tell us the firm, and rules, it is too easy but working a lot, read the paper and do call, like a sales person job, doing cold call and sell the stocks, that' it ,good for students

Sales and Trading Interview

Application

Interview

Group interview. Around 5-8 people.
    They give a document of rules to read while they are away
    Mostly gives presentation about their company as they dont mention what the company is on the website, only says wall street internship. Because of bad reviews

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at J H Darbie &Co (New York, NY).

Interview

Why is your GPA of 3.5 so low? Why did it take you 4 years to graduate? Why should I hire you when I am such a busy man myself? Did you read the WSJ (when its blatantly obvious the interviewers themselves did not)?
    Also, We were given a false exam with no real financial questions and once the test was finished, there was no review of it or even tell us our scores. It seems as if the tests were thrown away as soon as the interview was finished.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer: if I am Michael Jordan of cold calling, do I have time to waste on you?   1 Answer

Finance Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at J H Darbie &Co.

Interview

It wasn't difficult to locate the office building. It's next to Duane Reade/Rite Aid (couldn't remember which one). Anyway, there were 2 entrances. I went to the one at the back and the security told me to go around. I got a sticker at the lobby and took the elevator up to 30th floor. The office was right there. As I entered, the receptionist knew completely nothing. Good thing I was not seeking to be a receptionist. She told me to have a seat. There's a small table with 2 chairs, so I sat down while she was calling Arthur. Arthur was busy with his meeting, so he asked a guy to give me the question paper to fill out. Another girl came for an interview as well. She also got the question paper. After 10 minutes, another guy came out and decided to do a "group interview" with 2 of us. The meeting room was a few steps from the reception desk. The guy didn't even introduce his name. He did not close the blinds, so everyone passed by could see us 2 (lack of privacy). He had no idea how to interview people. He didn't even read the question papers. He asked me to pick something interesting/eye-catching from the Wall Street Journal. I told him what I had read that morning. He said I was making this up (tried to pick on me for not reading). I took out the newspaper from my bag and showed him the news. I pointed out that I was not majoring in finance, but I cared about what's going on in our society. He then changed the topic to him working there for 7 years. Next, he said there's no monetary compensation as an intern. Instead, the company would give us investment knowledge. Also, to sponsor us on Series 7 exam. At the end of the interview, he said they accepted us to work as an intern in their company and suggested us to call back for an actual start date ASAP.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question
    • How did you know our company?   Answer Question
    • So you've read the Wall Street Journal, right? Tell me 1 positive/negative thing you've found. Could be something interesting. And tell me your opinion.   Answer Question
    • If I can only pick 1 person out of this interview, tell me the reason why should we pick you instead of her?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J H Darbie &Co (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

There was almost no interview process. The interviewer only talked about what kind of work will have and what typical daily hour is. He asked us about our resume, introducing ourselves. The most of time he wasn't asking us questions, but talking about his firm. I was glad to hear his work experience and to know about this firm, but this firm seems do not have that much to do with institutional investors, but rich privates.

Summer Sales and Trading Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at J H Darbie &Co (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I met with the top two brokers at the office who were in charge of the office. Spoke about what the internship would entail along with figuring out how much I knew about the market. More of an informative interview about what the summer position would require and our roles as interns. Very simple and straightforward. I recommend reading the WSJ beforehand front to back, and especially knowing what is going on in the markets. The internship is extremely flexible for anyone who has another job or internship that wants to see how a boutique brokerage firm is run. Had a great experience that I would recommend to anyone who is interested in getting their foot in the door. Only downside is that there is no pay for the internship.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Stockbroker Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at J H Darbie &Co.

Interview

They hire practically anyone as long as you show up in time looking appropriate, show interest in being a broker, and have minimum finance knowledge (down the road they actually do a great job training their interns, so I would say it is a very valuable experience for finance dummies); however, the environment is pretty intense and many interns/trainees quit within a short period of time.

Interview Questions

• Multiple general market review questions.   1 Answer

Stockbroker Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at J H Darbie &Co.

Interview

They will give you a Bs from to fill up to try and scar you, but they will take anybody that steps in.
    then they will take you to an old room and try and scare you with technical questions, i said anything that came through my head and they believed it/

Interview Questions

• the guys working there are verry cluless about to market so they will ask you basic questions.   Answer Question

heard bad review, dont want to wast my time

Sales & Trading Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at J H Darbie &Co (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

You are sat down in their intimidating Wall Street office for an interview in which you are expected to have a degree of prior financial knowledge. Reading the WSJ and Barron's regularly is an immense asset in successfully getting through the interview.

Interview Questions

• Q: Describe "x" financial event that occurred and whether you believe it will catalyze "y" event elsewhere?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at J H Darbie &Co (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview began with a test including accounting, finance and analytical questions; then, you will talk with Arthur, the big boss. He seems nice. Arthur will ask you whether you've read Wall Street Journal or not. Then, he will ask you about the market. I did not get behavior questions.