J.P. Morgan Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 20, 2018

2.8

13 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

I contacted a recruiter who put me in touch with a team looking to fill in roles. I then had two rounds of 1 hour interview via Google Hangout, and asked to do live coding on collabedit.

Interview Questions

• The two interviews had a similar format. It started with an overview of my education, experience and past projects. Asked specific and technical details on the implementation of a neural network algorithm. I was then asked to solve small coding problems via collabedit: 1. Find the intersection of two arrays of integers. 2. Find the nth prime number 3. Use a binary search to find the index of a given value within an array of integers. 4. An SQL exercise to extract various specific items of a table.

For the coding exercises I could choose the language of my choice. Complexity was discussed and the interviewer always pushed me to find the least demanding solution in terms of time complexity.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for J.P. Morgan

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, DE

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (Wilmington, DE) in July 2017.

Interview

Applied through their website, got a call from HR not to long after submitted the application. Had a 30 minutes phone interview with the hiring manager. Asked lots of detailed technical questions about building predictive models and model selections.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

The process is horrendous. They wanted to do 11 phone interviews !!! (yes 11) with me because they are so cheap that they don't want to pay for airfare unless they are sure you are hired. I told them it's not worth my time so they flew me onsite after the 6th phone interview. The company's HR is absolutely crap, they'll call you left and right in the middle of the night. My flight from Seattle to NYC that they originally booked was 9 hours long (because they booked the cheapest flight). After complaint they fixed it. The interview process was smooth but I was told by one of the interviewers that I should not consider joining the team !! She was absolutely jealous of my resume and acted very rude and unprofessionally. Although the onsite interview (with Digital) went well (I had 9 interviewers onsite) I surprisingly did not receive an offer.
    This is a cheap cheap company with a crappy culture and horrible HR. They are not reimbursing my meal expenses now due to various excuses. Stay away from JP Morgan and Digital. That's all I can tell as an advise.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

PhDs. Avoid Strategic Forecasting Labs under the Business intelligence group with JP Morgan at all costs. It's hard to believe but they conduct interviews just to have people work for them for free. I never know a well-known company like JP Morgan would do things like this. They send you problems they are currently working on, which will take you more than 10 hours to finish. No kidding. The data is large and the problem is not typical. I am told that they are facing challenges when working on it. Then they are satisfied with your results (your algorithm predicts mortgage prepayment and default pretty well), and they will bring you over to their office to discuss your report with you. I don't realize back then. After the office visit, the hiring manager sends you tons of emails at 11pm and during weekends to ask you questions about your code. They even change your code then ask you to debug it but never mention a word about the offer. Even if you have told them that you have an offer from another company you need to decide on by a certain date, the hiring manager and recruiter reply that there are a few items they need to finalize and will update you shortly. They keep you hanging, but the deadline for your another offer is within 1-2 days. So you reach out again. After you submitted a good report and code, have done all the things they ask for and replied to all their late night and weekend emails about the problem and the code, you are expecting something and waiting, but they just disappear. Never reply to your email again. I know there is nothing I can do about it. But the two weeks' wait and 16 hours work on the project makes me feel like a fool. So never never apply and do their projects.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I had an initial phone interview (about 30 minutes). Then a video interview with the hiring manager and a more junior team member. Then I had face to face interviews with both team members, and another from a different group. Following that, I had interviews with two senior managers. I think the interviews went reasonably well. They treated me well and I think the hiring managers were looking for someone with my particular skills and background. HR asked via the recruiter what my salary expectations were. I believe I asked for a total package commensurate with my experience and training. HR thought otherwise, and did not make a counteroffer.

Interview Questions

• In the first place, they were interested in my financial knowledge. They also were trying to determine how much machine learning I knew.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

first run interview,not so hard,but speak very quick. I applied online, and got the interview soon after three days. They think I am not appropriate because I don't have finance background.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview

First round on-campus. Simple programming questions (Very simple for the CSE background), one question on data analysis related to Linear regression. He also asked me "How would you explain the Linear regression to the non- technical person?" Got the result after 3-4 weeks that I'm not invited for the next rounds.

Interview Questions

• How would you explain the Linear regression to the non- technical person?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I was referred by an employee and got on-site interview directly. It was quite smooth. There were around 7 interviewers. One ask conventional statistics questions. One asked open-ended modeling questions, and others focused on experiences.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY) in July 2018.

Interview

Was contacted by the recruiter after submitting CV online. Quickly scheduled 2 phone calls - one with member of research team, then one with the hiring manager. Both went smoothly, main focus was on machine learning techniques and fluency. Tried to follow up after speaking the hiring manager, but they just disappeared. No response to emails. IMHO, quite unprofessional. If you know you are not going to hire a candidate, have the decency to send a rejection letter, don't just disappear. Takes < 5s to send a stock rejection letter.

Interview Questions

• Find Intersection of 2 lists, describe various machine learning terms. Many algorithms questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY) in May 2018.

Interview

Lots of red flags to look for. Recruiter doesn't schedule interview at the time requested and does it as his/her whims. No job description and details provided. Very misleading process. Interviewer arrived 10 mins late on the phone. While it was obvious to both of us that it's not leading anywhere the interviewer didn't bother explaining the position and ask if I had any questions. Total lack of respect for other person's time. Very soon it was obvious that they needed a coder than a researcher which again should have been made obvious in the first call by the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• did you code machine learning algorithms from scratch or used a library?   1 Answer