J.P. Morgan Financial Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

J.P. Morgan Financial Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at J.P. Morgan

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Newark, DE

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (Newark, DE) in January 2012.

Interview

Two back to back phone interviews

Interview Questions

• You have a bat and a ball. The bat is 1 dollar more than the ball and they both add up to 1.50. How much are each?   10 Answers

Negotiation

offer through the phone then email confirmation

Other Interview Reviews for J.P. Morgan

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY) in October 2012.

Interview

The first round interview were held at my campus recruiting center and was half behavioral/fit and half math. I come from a history background so they didn't ask anything too technical. They were really looking for the way you think and approach problems so don't worry if you don't come from a finance or business background.

The second round was at one of JPM's NY offices and consisted of two back-to-back half-hour interviews. Again, these were mostly behavioral with some math problems thrown in. In the second interview my interviewer gave me a kind of mini-case (like what you would get in a consulting interview) but it was very straightforward (you own a small coffee shop on a college campus, business is going bad: why is that and how can you fix it). They said I'd hear back from them in two weeks but I actually got an email asking to meet for a "follow up" a day later.

I think this follow up was actually a kind of secret third round, just judging by what the people I spoke with (who had been hired into this position two years before) said. I just meet three JPM employees for coffee at one of their NY offices. This "round" was entirely fit questions (Why finance? Why JP Morgan Chase?) and was really just a good chance for the candidate to build rapport with the "interviewers" and ask questions. A little nerve-racking but the people I spoke with were very nice so that helped.

Interview Questions

• Probably "Why finance" seeing as I am a history major, but I have genuine interest in finance so I think that showed. Don't try to fake on this one, have an honest answer or else you might as well just say "I want a nice salary."   Answer Question

Negotiation

Basically no room for negotiation as I am coming an undergraduate entering into a program so the salary/benefits are basically set.

Anonymous Employee in Newark, DE

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (Newark, DE) in October 2010.

Interview

Got an interview for a temporary position and was eventually hired full-time after being placed by a temporary staffing agency. The interview first began as a first round phone interview, then a face-to-face second round interview on site, followed by a third round face-to-face interview again on site. I was then called and given a start date for a week later. I was a temporary employee for 3 months before being put on a full-time salary.

Interview Questions

• Questions regarding specific financial information regarding your posistion   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Newark, DE

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (Newark, DE) in February 2011.

Interview

There were 2 back to back 30 minute interviews on campus.

Interview Questions

• How many streetlights are there in new york city?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY) in August 2013.

Interview

Interview with H.R went very well.... non technical questions. Spoke to the hiring manager a couple of days later.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through a time when you did financial analysis.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (Dallas, TX) in August 2013.

Interview

Initial communication came from a recruiter who reviewed my online application. An email with potential interview times was given to choose from and an appointment was set. Interview in Downtown Dallas (Plaza of the Americas) with the Hiring Manager. It seemed very disorganized as the floor and room were not reserved; pretty unprofessional for the potential career.

The interview questions were very standard which included situational and behavioral questions along with a little back and forth between myself and the manager. Make sure your ideas and examples are well thought out and aggressive as she had a tendency to over-speak everything I said. She also informed of the School that she went to and noted that almost every person on her team was from the same school. There were many trick questions thrown in about the company structure; my personal favorite was "What is the first and last name of our CEO?" -- hit or miss. The competition for this position was also very stiff with a noted "8 other applicants" I would be compared against.

The position requirements were 1-2 years of banking experience with a degree in business, prefferably Finance or Accounting. The posting also informed that only "recent college graduates" would be asked to provide their transcripts for review. However, this was plainly not true as I have several years of experience and they still requested the transcripts.

Several weeks went by before any word, then another email from the recruiter came through asking if I would be interested in another interview. We scheduled a time for what I understood was the initial position not knowing that she indeed filled the position and brought me in as a runner up. It was clear that she had no intention on pursuing my candidacy as she raced through the questions and cut me off multiple times; the manager even brought a 250 page 10K to the interview and asked me to explain to her what certain parts of it meant. After about 10 minutes of very awkward interviewing, she brought me to another room where I was administered a test and was given 30 minutes to calculate debt service coverage (dsc) ratios for a given company. Once that was finally over, she went through the test marking everything that was right or wrong and escorted me out of the building.

I was not offered the position, and frankly am delighted as I can see it would have been a very difficult place to deal with. The atmosphere was not welcoming in the least; I strongly encourage all potential applicants to really consider the benefits of the position to the stresses that you may endure.

Interview Questions

• You have 30 minutes to complete this debt service analysis sheet given the company's 2012 YE financials. This is your calculator and definitions to some commonly used ratios; please inform me once you have completed.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (Wilmington, DE).

Interview

I interviewed at an NABA Conference. I had a prior internship experience with JPMorgan from 2007 so, the interviewer basically told me that I have the position during the interview. The position was in DE

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No I did not negotiate for anything. The offer was for an internship

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, DE

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (Wilmington, DE) in December 2012.

Interview

HR recruiter late for meeting, disorganized, arrogant

Interview Questions

Better opportunity at another company

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (Dallas, TX) in March 2011.

Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The position was in the Asset Management group. I interviewed with three managers.
    First Manager - General operational questions
    Second Manager - Specific finance related questions
    Third Manager - MS Excel and Access related questions

Interview Questions

• MS Excel & Access related questions - Explain how you will write a query for this specific problem.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY) in June 2012.

Interview

amazing experience. interview was tough. asked a bunch of market related questions. follow the economist and comprehend jp morgan mission statement. do a lot of research on the employers interviewing you. interview not too long, 15-30 min. make sure to establish yourself and remind them of your wonderful skill set what you can offer to their company.