J.P. Morgan Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

J.P. Morgan Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview Questions

3.4

26 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamilton, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (Hamilton, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

2 rounds, first round occurred about two months after I applied and was a 30 min phone call. 2nd round was a 1 hour 30 min video call with three members of higher rank (VP and above).

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for J.P. Morgan

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview

Got a phone interview without ever applying to the company. I spoke with two people from the company. It was mostly informational and there were four technical questions. I never heard back from them again. Overall, the people were really nice and they were open to any questions I had. It happened in mid September

Interview Questions

• What is a sure sign that someone has entered into an acquisition?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

J.P. Morgan was great throughout. I had interviewed for another office and expressed interest in the SF office and was flown out a few days later to interview. I heard back with the offer the following week.

They let us meet with junior and senior bankers at a reception in San Francisco the day before the superday of interviews so we better understand the culture and the business we're applying for. The interviews were specifically for the investment banking summer analyst role within J.P. Morgan's technology group, so the culture is a lot more relaxed than Wall St. None of bankers even had suits on.

Interview Questions

• The interview consisted of typical behavioral investment banking questions + extremely technical questions + technical questions with a focus on technology companies.

- What valuation metrics do you use to value private technology companies in different stages (early, mid-size--think series C--and mature companies?

- How would you evaluate an investment in Uber at its current valuation?

- How would you get Uber's beta?

- Company trading at 4x Revenue and 10x EBITDA. What's the EBITDA margin for this business?

- Mobile payments company is going public: it has an US business and a foreign business. US business has 35% EBITDA Margins, $200m revenue with a 20x EBITDA trading multiple.
        - What's the enterprise value of of the US business?
        - Foreign business has 100m revenue with 70% YoY growth, US business has 20% YoY growth.
          which business is worth more and why?

- What would you say the WACC of a mobile payments company would be?
      - If you could invest all your money into one technology company, what would it be?

- Paper LBO analysis. You're given % debt and equity, purchase price, interest rate, etc. You're expected to calculate cash-on-cash return.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

4 pre-superday interviews, all phones, then superday which is in SF office and has 3 rounds of interviews. All very conversational, but asked a lot of technicals and behaviorals. One interviewer was extremely tough (and aggressive).

Interview Questions

• Why are you here? Why not go to Equity Research? Why not go to PE? What is your long-term plan? Are you sure you want to stay here? What's your strength and weakness?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied through online application. First round interviews were conducted over the phone followed by a Superday two weeks after. I would say the behavioral to technical questions mix was about 70:30.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you worked in a team?
      Describe some of the resulting effects a fed rate hike would produce?
      How would you go about valuing a private business?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Coming from a target school but phone screening then in person first round at the office. Combination of fit and technical questions. Basic valuation considerations. DCF etc. Some more complicated questions delving into the definition of enterprise value and how it could be affected by various accounting changes

Interview Questions

• Walk me through a DCF and then all of the standard follow ups   Answer Question

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan in September 2016.

Interview

First round phone screen with an analyst, then another phone screen with an associate, then a VP -- and finally a Superday interview in person at the offices. Interviews were mostly technical -- started out with walking them through resume and then jumped directly to accounting/valuation/markets. Tended to schedule phone screens in the morning and have phone screen same-day, which prevented much last-minute preparation and sometimes made it harder to get ready.

Interview Questions

• As Cost of Debt goes up on the WACC Curve, what happens to Cost of Equity?   1 Answer

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan in January 2016.

Interview

Phone Interview and next week super day. Super day consists of 3 back-to-back interviews. Pretty laid back, very nice people. Two ED and two analysts (analysts in the same room, EDs separetely) More of a chat. Not stressing at all.

Interview Questions

• A couple of macro questions, how ratings work, current economic situation, china, oil, Eurozone, Britain,refugee crisis, where would you invest 100K. Things like that.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview

Applied through my campus recruiting portal. Reached out to many alumni at the firm in junior positions and spoke with them about their experiences. Attended a campus networking reception organized by J.P. Morgan. Was invited to an on-campus interview (which counted as both a first and final round interview) and a dinner the evening before. The executives at the dinner seemed to use it as an opportunity to evaluate the interviewees and decide who would actually be considered at interviews the next day. During my interview the next day, two executives interviewed me and one was on her phone most of the time. They did not seem interested in anything I had to say. Received a call soon after saying I had not received an offer.

Interview Questions

• What other industries are you considering? Why would you consider them if you are truly interested in investment banking?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

3 rounds before superday. Superday has 3-5 rounds. Technicals, behaviourals. You have to know people in order to get in. You may not have to have connections unless you are part of a diversity programme.

Interview Questions

• LBO, DCF, DDM, basic accounting, basic finance   1 Answer