J.P. Morgan Personal Banker Interview Questions | Glassdoor

J.P. Morgan Personal Banker Interview Questions

Updated Jan 4, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (San Francisco, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

Applied in online. There were test that we had to pass. There are math questions as well. After a few days later, I was contacted by the HR. Then I had a phone interview. After I passed the phone interview, I was scheduled to see one of the managers in the branch. When I had an interview with one of managers, I was also interviewed with area manager.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was simply told how much and I accepted.

Other Interview Reviews for J.P. Morgan

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grass Valley, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (Grass Valley, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

The initial phone interview was very standard, asking questions off my resume and getting a feel for my experience. The interviewer was concise and professional.

The 2nd interview consisted of the local branch manager and a few employees at the branch where the open position was, doing a panel/role play style interview in the manager's office. They were supportive while at the same time able to share their understanding of the banking world and give me a feel for what I might be in for. I was able to relate well to them because of a few shared experiences, and they were very helpful in the process since I hadn't interviewed for anything in the corporate or financial world up to this point.

The 3rd interview was with the Regional manager at a different branch and she was more rigid, yet helpful through the process. The content of this interview was more specific to the situations I would encounter, the skills I had to bring to the table as a personal banker, and what I could offer as a salesperson. She was very interested in my ability to sell according to the style that Chase trains you for. This was the only interview in which I didn't feel like my personality and skills were totally supported, mostly because I didn't have any sales experience.

In short, the local branch manager was the most supportive and the whole process was helpful in seeing the need for good questions to be asked during an interview, as well as a very teachable attitude when it comes to different companies approaches to things like sales.

Interview Questions

• I am customer that walks into your local branch. What do you do as a banker to get me back to your desk?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY) in June 2011.

Interview

The interviewer asked me to sell her a product, why did I choose Chase. She didn't seem to remember that we have an interview in the first place.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (Bronx, NY) in June 2011.

Interview

I was called by a recruiter, she asked basic questions about my resume. Set me up with a regional manager interview. She said they were going to set an interview with the branch manager, never happened. Never received a call back from them. I wish they would at least sent me an email in order to tell me i was not chosen or anything that reflected that.

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (Sacramento, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

Two part interview process. Met with the branch manager for the first interview and then was called a few days later for a secondary interview with the district manager. Can be single part with only the branch manager, varies.

Once hired on had to do a criminal background check via fingerprinting with another company and then a drug test with a 3rd party as well.

Interview Questions

• Asked how I handled difficult customers.   1 Answer

Negotiation

After the second interview, I received a call with what my yearly base salary would be before tax and additional commission, probably could have negotiated it but didn't. Negotiated start date.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake in the Hills, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (Lake in the Hills, IL) in May 2011.

Interview

The phone interview was approximately 25 minutes in length, and the questions were pretty generic: Why do you want to work for Chase? What is your sales background?

After answering the recruiter's questions, she gave information about the position requirements, salary, etc. I was then informed the next step would be to interview with the Branch Manager.

Interview with Branch Manager took place a few days later. This interview was a lot more in-depth (i.e., role playing scenarios, behavioral-based questions).

The Branch Manager told me that he would contact the recruiter with his feedback, and that the recruiter would contact me if the process would or would not go further.

Interview Questions

• I have been referred to you by one of your current clients to provide a specific service. Please go through the scenario of you selling your services and closing the deal.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY) in May 2011.

Interview

I went to the first interview but forgot my resume. The guy interviewing me was turned off at that point. He became aggressive and blunt with his comments. Chase than called me back for a second interview which I was surprised. When I went there the lady had went on vacation so I wasted my time going out there. The second time, she wasnt there again so someone else had to interview me. It was so quick, not even 10mins. Never got a call from them but later learned from a friend who got the job that even though Chase does not want you, they call everyone back just to finish the interview process. But thats such a waste of time for people really looking for work. Dam* Chase just be real and say you forgot your resume and its unforgivable and let me move on with my life. Dont send me on a Chase for no reason.

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (Brooklyn, NY) in May 2011.

Interview

First, a phone interview. After the phone interview with the HR representative an interview with a District Manager was scheduled. Most people meet with two people at this interview, but because I didn't I was contacted a week after the DM interview by a branch manager who I interviewed with that day. It was not long after this that I received the offer. The first interview ALWAYS involves role play.
    The interview with the DM sells the job very well and makes you think you'll earn $60,000+ and of course doesn't mention "call night" where personal bankers have to stay until 8:00 on Tuesdays to call and harrass customers. The BM I met with on the 2nd interview was great, unfortunately I was not put in his branch. When I received the offer I was told that I'd be working at a certain branch.. I decided to go one day before I started just to see how long it'd take from home, only to find out that the branch had burned down a year prior. After calling back, I received my actual branch.

Interview Questions

• I told her I used to work in a shoe store, she said, "Sell me a shoe."
      This was the role play portion of interview
      Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't even think to negotiate, but I do know someone who did and was able to raise the base salary by $3,000. It's not an extravagant amount but why not earn more if you can?

Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (Bronx, NY) in May 2011.

Interview

Initially interviewed for a teller position but was refereed to personal banker position after meeting with assistant manager. Was then require to complete online personal banker assessment. Interviewed with branch manager then was district manager a few days latter.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not bother to negotiate being I was extended this position after initially applying for a lesser position. I was asked at the final interview with the district manager what my current pay rate. I was honest and had no leverage being i was given a higher offer then what I currently made.

Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (Anaheim, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

It was an extensive interview process, which I found a good one. I was recommended to work by an existing manager (which has no pull) so I went online, filled out a profile, took an aptitude test, and applied for a specific job in a specific city. I was contacted within a week by a very friendly and easy to talk to recruiter. She was very busy and told me to anticipate a longer wait than usual. I was invited to interview with a branch manager and she loved me. All the questions seemed normal except for the one about the PVC's (points towards commissions) she said it was expected that a banker make between 500-1000 pvc's and if I didn't reach that what would I expect her to do... Ok so I knew already to expect high pressure sales. After that I was invited in for another interview with the regional manager, she was so busy. She was on her cell phone during half the interview not looking me in the eye for a good portion, complaining that someone got her coffee instead of hot chocolate. So I figured her to be a diva and as any good salesman could do adjusted my approach and catered to her "diva" style. Needless to say I got an offer letter a week later and came in for an orientation where I was fingerprinted and then asked to go take a drug test. I would not be able to start work until both were complete. The background check took 4-5 days and the drug test was required to be taken before then. I did like that they did not require me to go within 24 hours for the drug test. I was also working at another job and had very little extra time. So I was able to go on a day off and take an urine test.

Interview Questions

• What would you expect of me if you do not hit your numbers? What would you expect of me if you continuously do not hit your numbers.   1 Answer