J.P. Morgan Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 27, 2017

2.9

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied on their website in December. Got a invitation to do a video screening in February. You get a minute to read the question before it auto starts and then you get 3 tries to record it (but you have a lot of time to think about the questions in between recordings if you choose to record more than once).

Interview Questions

• What attracts you to JP morgan and the investment banking position   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you worked on a team   Answer Question
    • What unique qualities or expertise can you bring to JP morgan   Answer Question
    • What is the biggest challenge you have faced and how has that made you a better person   Answer Question

Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Interviewed with 3 great staff members who shared details about the work and daily routines. Staff also shared examples of previous research work and discussed in-depth project responsibilities as well as collaboration activity with design and product teams.

Interview Questions

• They wanted to see examples of previous client work (case studies)   1 Answer

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

4 pre-superday interviews, all phones, then superday which is in SF office and has 3 rounds of interviews. All very conversational, but asked a lot of technicals and behaviorals. One interviewer was extremely tough (and aggressive).

Interview Questions

• Why are you here? Why not go to Equity Research? Why not go to PE? What is your long-term plan? Are you sure you want to stay here? What's your strength and weakness?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

J.P. Morgan was great throughout. I had interviewed for another office and expressed interest in the SF office and was flown out a few days later to interview. I heard back with the offer the following week.

They let us meet with junior and senior bankers at a reception in San Francisco the day before the superday of interviews so we better understand the culture and the business we're applying for. The interviews were specifically for the investment banking summer analyst role within J.P. Morgan's technology group, so the culture is a lot more relaxed than Wall St. None of bankers even had suits on.

Interview Questions

• The interview consisted of typical behavioral investment banking questions + extremely technical questions + technical questions with a focus on technology companies.

- What valuation metrics do you use to value private technology companies in different stages (early, mid-size--think series C--and mature companies?

- How would you evaluate an investment in Uber at its current valuation?

- How would you get Uber's beta?

- Company trading at 4x Revenue and 10x EBITDA. What's the EBITDA margin for this business?

- Mobile payments company is going public: it has an US business and a foreign business. US business has 35% EBITDA Margins, $200m revenue with a 20x EBITDA trading multiple.
        - What's the enterprise value of of the US business?
        - Foreign business has 100m revenue with 70% YoY growth, US business has 20% YoY growth.
          which business is worth more and why?

- What would you say the WACC of a mobile payments company would be?
      - If you could invest all your money into one technology company, what would it be?

- Paper LBO analysis. You're given % debt and equity, purchase price, interest rate, etc. You're expected to calculate cash-on-cash return.
      Answer Question

Personal Banker II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

It was an interaction that judge your skills in sales as a personal bankers and how good you are in developing you own business. Regularly background check of where you coming from and if you are fit for the role.

Interview Questions

• How would you sell your product?   1 Answer

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

The whole process started out extremely positive but turned out negative and backwards. I was interviewed by the Project Manager, then the recruiter 2 weeks later. I was then scheduled for an interview with the team I would be supporting 2 weeks later after speaking with the recruiter, then another with a person on the team that was on vacation. Those interviews went extremely well, or so I thought. I was told I was hired but did not hear anything for 3 weeks. I finally get a call from the recruiter and she asks if I'm open to being a "temp to hire" and will get back to me if interested. I was then contacted by a staffing agency 3 days later. I declined the position. The whole process was long and when I originally spoke with the recruiter regarding my salary requirements, she said it was doable. That wasn't the case when I heard from the staffing agency. She told me it was something different and fixed since I would be temp to hire, if the position works out. This process was backgrounds and overall not a pleasant hiring experience at all. It has left a bad taste in my mouth for JP Morgan's hiring process. I hope this was an isolated incident and nobody else goes through what I had to go endure.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had multiple projects going on with back to back deadlines. How did you prioritize and manage the task?   Answer Question

Vice President - Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I received an online video interview from Hireview. I've normally received telephone and in-person interview requests. (Most people say that it's a bad sign already as their interviews normally on-site).

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had a challenging situation and how you handled it
      Why should I hire you?
      Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (San Francisco, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

There's 3 rounds of interviews. First is an phone screen with a recruiter. They ask you very simple questions to make sure you're an actual developer. Next, you have an online coding challenge that takes about 3 hours. Last, on site interview with the team that lasts about 3 hours.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Flew me out to interview. 5 rounds of interviews with two interviewers each. Pretty tough questions, but targeted at determining if you will be a good fit within the firm and the team.

Negotiation

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (San Francisco, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Two phone screens and an in person superday with a case study that worked through valuations and an industry analysis. There were also questions asked when we presented that were brain teaser like

Interview Questions

• Value AirBnB for me with DCF, LBO, and Comps   1 Answer