J Sainsbury Customer Service Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

J Sainsbury Customer Service Assistant Interview Questions

Updated May 19, 2017

2.2

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)).

Interview

Fairly easy and friendly interview process.

First stage - application. This stage is just a standard application form where you have to answer a questionnaire, Sainsbury's are all about team work and customers coming first so just remember that! For me, after filling out the online application I heard back the next day for the telephone interview.

Second stage - telephone interview. I was given an IRC number and told to call the HR department within 24 hours (this was at 8 in the morning) I called at 10 after preparing and they asked me 3/4 questions. Straight after the phone call they offered me the 1-1 interview as I passed the telephone interview.

Third stage - 1-1. This was the most nerve wracking for me as I get bad anxiety before interviews. It was at 9:30 and I arrived ten minutes early and reported myself to the customer service desk. A lovely girl asked me what hours I had applied for and once I told her she said I'd be working with her and not to be nervous, she made me feel much better and I waited in staff room for interviewer. The manager came and got me and she was lovely and took me to a nice meeting room area. She asked me for my documents and asked me uniform sizes, travel to work, induction dates and holidays. Then she asked me 4 questions and the whole interview took 15 minutes!! She was so friendly and it was pretty informal and chatty. I wore a dark green leather skirt with a checkered shirt as it's smart causal.

Don't be nervous and there so friendly and make you feel great!! I only had the interview an hour ago so haven't heard yet!

Interview Questions

• Phone interview -
    1. name a time you gave great customer service to ONE customer.
    2. What attracted you to Sainsbury's

3. Why do you want to work for Sainsbury's
    4.how have you solved problems within a team

Other Interview Reviews for J Sainsbury

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J Sainsbury.

Interview

I filled out an online application and received an email 24 hours later stating I had a telephone interview. I kept a record of all my answers throughout the process to ensure I remembered. Upon phoning, I confirmed my ID number, my full name and then went on to my security question. However I was then told that I got the wrong answer when I clearly had a copy of the answer in front of me and knew it was correct so how I got it wrong, I don't know. I then attempted with my two other possible answers of my security question (there were only three possible answers I could have given) to be told that they were all wrong and that I had officially lost the position and the interview would not take place. I was then told to reapply for the role but when I went on to the site to find the role, it had been removed.

Never again will I apply for a job with Sainsbury's.

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at J Sainsbury in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online on a monday, there was a short online evaluation that will be simple (provided you have some common sense). I received a text from them on the Tuesday inviting me to call HR to arrange an interview, the person on the phone was very friendly and gave you all the information you would need.
     I attended the interview on the friday and was met by the head of customer service head, first of all we went through my documentation (right to work etc), asked a few questions such as my previous experience and to talk about myself briefly. The second stage of the interview involved me being given a clipboard and asked to write down things the store was doing right and wrong (Such as tidy shelves or confusing layout) as I was toured around the building, I was asked to read out my findings on return to the interview room. Finally the real interview began including questions such as why leave my current job and what my expectations for the role was, I found that researching the companies history and values online was a great help!

I received an offer the following monday which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Why choose to work for Sainsbury's rather than another supermarket?   Answer Question

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bath, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Bath, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

Absolutely awful, clear Disability Discrimination. I'm a disabled person who uses crutches and look of disappointment on interviewers face and first thing he asked was if it was permanent or temporary disability

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

This was one of the worst interviews I have ever had. I arrived promptly, the manager was about 20 minutes late, which was fine, it happens. The manager asked me to wait, as he hadn't printed the interview forms out, which took another 10 minutes.

I was then asked to come through to a small office. The manager looked tired and uninterested, and this showed through the actual interview process. As he went through the form he was very robotic, and didn't show much interest. I was asked to specify the role, hours and the pay of the job, it was obvious he had no idea why I was here.

The entire interview took about 15 minutes, I was extremely disappointed as I had researched Sainsbury's thoroughly. I prepared 5 questions, none of which were answered. I wasn't asked why I wanted the job, why Sainsbury's, how well I worked in a team. NOTHING. This was an extreme waste of time and I will not be applying to Sainsbury's anytime soon. Stop wasting people's time.

Interview Questions

• Went through a script i.e

Job hours?
      Previous skills in previous job roles?

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leigh, North West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Leigh, North West England, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online including a situational judgement assessment - just use common sense really.
    Remember you can only apply for one position at a time - if you try and apply for a second role it will say you failed the assessment.
    The following day I received an email saying I'd passed and I had to ring HR to organise an interview.
    Interview was set for about a week later.
    The interview at the store was great - the Checkout Manager interviewed me and she made me feel very relaxed and not nervous at all.
    She went through the shifts, hours, pay, uniform and a few other policies with me before asking just a few questions.
    Following the questions I was asked about good points and bad points I'd noticed while shopping in Sainsbury's - sometimes they do this by taking you on the shop floor or ask you to look at pictures. I'd visited the store the day before to prepare for this particular part of the interview.
    At the end she asked if I had any questions and explained when the next induction day would be.
    The following day I received both an email and a text offering me the job.
    All in all the process was really well organised and much quicker than some other companies.

Interview Questions

• What does customer service mean to you?
      Can you give an example where you received excellent customer service?
      Have you ever used your initiative to meet a need or solve a problem?

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

First applied online which involved filling in personal details and completing 15 scenario based questions. Just use your common sense and always put customer first. I then received a text the next day saying I was successful and to call HR for a telephone interview.
    Telephone interview was pretty basic, just checking right to work and if you completed the online application yourself. Then asked around 3/4 questions based on sainsburys and customer service.
    I passed this and a 1:1 interview was arranged for 4 days later. Was very nervous about this but didn't need to be. Got taken into a small room and she checked my passport and proof of address etc. Then went through and checked my uniform size, and my hours. After this I was able to tell her a bit about myself and what I like to do in my spare time and what I do at university. I was then asked a handful of questions (similar to those on the phone interview) and that was it. It was very laid back and I was made to feel relaxed, felt more like an informal conversation than an interview.

Interview Questions

• Why sainsbury's and not another supermarket?   1 Answer
    • What do you think the role involves?   1 Answer
    • A time you have worked well in a team and how did you contribute? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (London, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online on a Wednesday evening and got a text the very next day that i had been successful and should call for a phone interview. When i got home i immediately did so and they firstly asked if i had a right to work in the uk and if i could prove this etc. Then she asked me customer service questions like when have you ever given excek customer service and how is this different from elsewhere. After every question she put me on hold so she could review my answer. She told me i was successful and my in store interview date was for that Saturday!

I came 10 mins early, signed in and was taken upstairs along with 3 other interviewees. They first take you in one by one to view your documents about your right to work proof of address etc. Then i was taken on a tour around to store and asked to write things they were doing well and things they could improve. Then was taken back upstairs to discuss these and how you can improve those things. Then they asked customer service questions similar to the phone interview like when have you given excellent customer service and team work. It took about and hour in total and they said they'll let me know the result in 5 days.

4 days later I had a missed call and thought it might be them so i called their Hr number and they told me i got the job! Took me a week from applying online to getting the job!very easy and quick

Interview Questions

• give us an example of excellent customer service you've given   Answer Question
    • tell me about a time you've worked in a team and what did you contribute   Answer Question
    • why do you want to work for sainsburys   Answer Question

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunderland, North East England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Sunderland, North East England, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Within a day I received a text message asking me to call HR to arrange an interview. This was a straightforward and clear process. Interview was arranged for exactly 7 days after application.
    Interview was very easy, interviewer was friendly and didn't make me nervous.
    Just pretend to be confident and big up your retail experience.

Interview Questions

• What are some pros and cons about the shop floor?   1 Answer

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hackney, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Hackney, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Took about 3 days HR called me small phone interview went in for interview
    was very unproffesional person forgot they had an interview. Overall, was a easy interview but they didnt ask much questions.

Interview Questions

• Why did you want to work at sainsburys?   1 Answer