J Sainsbury General Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

J Sainsbury General Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Feb 21, 2017

2.3

General Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Sheffield, England (UK)).

Interview

Apply online and was invited to an interview about 2 days later. The interview lasted about 40mins, it included a chat with just 2 questions before going onto the shop floor to write good and bad points about the store. Afterward I had to discuss my points with the interviewer (manager)

Interview Questions

• Only 2 questions asked.
    Tell me a time when you recieved or gave exceptional customer service?
    Tell me what you think you'll be doing in your role?

Other Interview Reviews for J Sainsbury

General Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Brighton, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

After applying online, I got a text the next day inviting me to an interview. The interview was a week later. The first part of the interview consists of going through your right to work and your proof of address documents. After this my interviewer went through what the company's all about, the hours I'll be working, what I'll be doing in my role etc. Starting with this is good because you can generally chat to the interviewer at this point so by the time I got to the actual interview questions I felt quite confident. He asked some standard interview questions (would definitely advise preparing what you're going to say before the interview), there were only about four. Then I went down to shop floor with a clipboard and I had to say what parts of the store were doing well and what parts could do with some improvement. You write these down as bullet points, the interviewer seemed to be taking me down certain aisles that would give me points to make. Then you go back to the interview room and discuss these points with them and how you would improve them. At the end, you have the chance to ask the interviewer any questions you have. The interview was about 45 minutes long and as someone who gets very nervous about interviews, I felt relaxed throughout. A week later, I was offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Q. Tell me about yourself.
      Q. What attracted you to the role?
      Q. Describe a time you think you gave great customer service.
      Q. Discuss a time at work where you worked well as a team.

General Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J Sainsbury.

Interview

Room in the back of the store. watched video of how to act in the store. answer questions on how you would react to certain situations and spotting errors in employees judgements. Followed by some standard behavioural questions and a simple maths test.
    Tell us a bit about yourself
    Why Sainsbury's

General Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Birmingham, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online received an email a few days later congratulating me on passing and was asked to ring HR to arrange an interview. Attended interview it was in three parts. First part was right of work, second part was attention to detail which involved walking around the store and finding out pros, cons and how to rectify the problems and last part was interview questions. Pretty easy but do your research as there is only 3-4 questions but every answer you give they will drill you about it in depth! Remember Sainsbury's holds a high standard in customer service so you have to be very passionate about working in customer service. Next day I got a text and an email again congratulating me and that I had been offered the job.

General Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (London, England (UK)) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied online and answered the 15 test questions. The next day I got a text saying I was successful and had to call a number to arrange an interview. I called straight away and arranged an interview for the next day, which I was impressed about as I was keen to start work asap. I had my interview and the women who interviewed me was very nice and friendly which made it better. Spent about 20 minutes dealing with right of work documents, then went onto the shop floor and I had to write good things that were going on in the store (customer service) and things they could improve on. This was easy, there's a lot going on so just made sure you write a lot down. I then got back and had to answer 4 questions. I answered them all okay as I had predicted questions they'd asked me and prepared myself (I would advise you practice the answers to your questions so you're not just put on the spot). After she asked me the questions I asked a few questions I had and then that was the interview done. The whole interview was 1 on 1 and I found it very positive, I was going in a little nervous but once it got started it was very settled. I left the interview and was told they'll get back to me in about 2-3 days. 2 hours after the interview I got the text saying they'd offered me the job and I had to call a number to confirm it. I did and then arranged my first day of induction, which was 6 days after the interview. I was very impressed with how quick the process was, having applied, arranged an interview, had an interview and got offered the job in the period of 48 hours. Very pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• What brought you to Sainsbury's?   1 Answer
    • Explain a time you received great customer service, and how did it make you feel?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you were in a team and had to perform together, how did you do this?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I would advise you research about the store first, and be prepared to say why you were attracted to the role.

General Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J Sainsbury in October 2016.

Interview

Online application with a test about store scenario situations, which you have to choose what you think is the best option. Got called for an interview, they checked availability and references. Interview was 1 to 1 and will ask you regular interview questions and tell the times you have to work etc.

General Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J Sainsbury in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online and did a situation test. Got a text off HR the next day which said I had been invited for an interview and that I had to ring up to arrange a day, which was just under a week later. The interview was in 3 parts, the first being just talking about my right to work in the UK etc. The second part was that I had to go round the shop and write down good and bad things about the store and then I had to about them and how I would improve the bad things. Last part was 3 general interview questions and it then it was over. Lasted about 50 minutes and the person was very friendly and put me at ease. about a week later I heard back that I got the job.

General Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at J Sainsbury.

Interview

Applied online, which consisted of a few standard questions that you get when you apply for everywhere else, got a email a week later saying that they wanted an interview, phoned up to book an interview and then had an interview the next week in store. Easy process all throughout.

General Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tadley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Tadley, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

Filled out an online application which included general details e.g. education/work employment history/personal details and was then sent a online assessment to do.

The online assessment involved answering a set of 10 questions about customer service/workplace incidents in which you had to give the best and worst response from a set of four answers for each question.

After I successfully passed this stage, I was texted a number to sainsburys HR to contact them for a phone interview, this involved confirming my details and the specific job I applied for as well as checking my right to work to which an face-to-face interview was planned at the end of the phone interview.

The next interview was rather straightforward, I was taken from the customer service desk by the manager interviewing me to an office in the back where I was asked about my personal life and right to work documents, to which I then had to answer a set of interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Q: What brought you to sainsburys?
      Q: Why should we hire you?
      Q: Describe a time you worked in a team?
      Q: Describe a time you gave great customer service?

General Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Truro, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Truro, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

Got a email for an interview around a week after I applied. The interview was a week after I confirmed to attend an interview.
    One-on-one interview with the store manager as woman who was meant to interview me wasn't in. Firstly he asked me to tell him about myself and asked me what I planned to do in the future (I am a university student). He then asked me three questions from a booklet he had. When I answered each question he would ask me questions about certain parts of my answers to probe me to say more so I had to think on the spot quite a lot - he wasn't being picky as he read through the interview booklet and said I would possibly be asked more about my answers. The next stage was walking around the store and identifying what was good and what could be improved. We then went back to the office and I had to talk through what I wrote down. It lasted in total around an hour.
    This was my first proper job interview and I messed up quite a bit but I was still offered the job so try to relax and just be yourself! :)

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Sainsburys?   Answer Question
    • When was a time you dealt with a difficult customer and how was this different from any other service?   Answer Question
    • When was a time you worked effectively in a team?   Answer Question