J Sainsbury General Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 19, 2017

2.2

123 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

General Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at J Sainsbury in November 2015.

Interview

Very straight forward, they asked basic questions about customer services. The interview was very straight forward. The hiring process didn't take more than two week from been interviewed to been hired

Interview Questions

• Do you mind working overtime   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for J Sainsbury

General Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J Sainsbury.

Interview

One of the best and least nerve-wracking interviews I have ever had. Just make sure you plan your answers in advance and you'll be fine. All the questions I had planned for were the typical retail questions and they were the exact ones I was asked in the interview. When I arrived I had to wait for a little while in the staff cafe, then I was taken to a room, the lady checked my right to work etc, then you were asked to walk around the shop floor with a clipboard and write down things that the store was doing well, and things that they could improve on. Afterwards you go back to the room and talk about what you wrote down, explaining why. Then comes the questions beginning with 'Tell me about yourself' and then onto the typical customer service questons.

The whole process was extremely quick and simple, from applying online to getting a text telling me Sainsburys wanted to offer me a job. I applied online on Wednesday, got a text thursday morning telling me to call HR to arrange an interview. Interviewed on Saturday, text saying Sainsburys wanted to offer me the job on Wednesday.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.   1 Answer
    • When have you received good customer service?   Answer Question
    • Why Sainsburys over any other store?   1 Answer
    • Describe a time when you had to work in a team and how did teamwork improve the outcome?   1 Answer
    • Why do you think customer service is important?   1 Answer
    • Do you shop at Sainsburys?   1 Answer

General Assistant Interview

Interview

Supervisor who was running the interview was secretly on phone texting during interview. Need I say more. And these are the people interviewing you ... They are funny people

General Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J Sainsbury in September 2017.

Interview

I was brought into a room and was left sat there for at least 10 minutes whilst the woman interviewing me found the paperwork (if she knew I was coming, shouldn't she have had it ready?) Took my information and asked about previous employment, working hours, education etc. Answered a few yes or no questions. Then she gave me a clipboard and sheet and I was given a tour of the store where I had to list what they were doing well and what they could improve on. During the tour I was also asked to help pack a customer's bags. After the tour we discussed what I wrote down and she asked me how I thought the customer interaction went. A few more questions about customer service and then that was it. There were no 'why do you want to work for us?' 'give me an example of good customer service?' styled questions, just questions about my information, the tour, and questions about what I wrote. A very easy interview with a lovely lady who made me feel comfortable and confident. I Was contacted a few days later saying I got the job.

General Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Devizes, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Devizes, England (UK)) in September 2017.

Interview

Applied online and got a response the next day, had to arrange a face to face interview over the phone and the interview was about a week after i applied.

Interview Questions

• Tell me when you have experienced great customer service?   Answer Question

General Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Darlington, North East England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Darlington, North East England, England (UK)).

Interview

One to one interview, asking the basic interview questions and why I wanted to work there. After I was offered the position, I then had to undergo an induction which is over several days and covers a variety of things such as the role, health and safety, age restriction products etc.

General Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swadlincote, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Swadlincote, England (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

Online application with basic information and education/job experience followed by 20 minute assessment task. The task was scenario based saying what would be the best and worst actions to take in a particular customer related situation. I completed the application at 5pm on a Friday and received a text at 10am on the Saturday morning asking me to call the recruitment team to arrange an interview. The interview took place the following Wednesday. All very easy to arrange with options available. Interview was 1:1 with a section manager. Offer not given at the time of interview as there were still further candidates but interviewer informed me that I had done well and even if unsuccessful this time could expect to hear in future if further positions became available. Will hear within next few days and induction/start date would be following week.

Interview Questions

• Are you able to do additional hours if required?   1 Answer
    • Took tour of the store with section manager and had to record positives and negatives then discuss back in the office and say how you would deal with the negatives.   Answer Question

General Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Coventry, England (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

The interview was a fairly general interview process. They first checked my eligibility to work within the UK and they then took me around the store and provided me with a pen and a paper to note down what Sainsbury's is doing well within their store e.g. products, cleanliness, efficiency etc and what they can improve upon e.g. bigger department of X may be beneficial or better placement of products in Y department etc. I would recommend you note more good things than bad. The next part of the interview included why I chose the points I noted down. The next part of the interview included asking some general questions which I have forgotten but the ones I remember are listed below.

I got an email 7 days later saying I was an ideal candidate however the only reason I didn't get the job was because another candidate had more experience than I did.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Sainsbury's?   1 Answer

General Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Leeds, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

Applied online for a local sainsbury's job, completed the questions they asked and the following morning i recieved an email informing me to contact HR to arrange a face to face interview. Arranged the interview for the next available date.
    Arrived at sainsbury's 10 minutes before interview started, was taken to the staff canteen after checking in. Interview was straight forward, really laid back and informal. The interviewer didn't seem all that bothered, she was just reading what was wrote down in front of her. Was asked general questions and a little bit about myself and my previous job. From the way the interviewer was speaking with me it sounded like i already had the job, was asked what size uniform i require, she told me dates and times of the induction days and if i was able to attend, how soon i was able to start etc. She said i should hear from them in a couple days time. i recieved an email 2 days later informing me although i had the skills they was looking for i was unsucessful and if wanted to hear feedback from my interview to contact HR. I contacted them for feedback only to be told that i won't hear anything yet as it's only been 2 days and when i informed the woman on the phone i already got an email from them she sounded abit confused and said she didn't have any information on how the interview went apart from i didn't get the job. Even though she previously said i shouldn't of heard back from them yet. Totally unprofessional as they give you information to contact them regarding feedback but then tell you they can't give you any. Glad i didn't get a job offer for this unprofessional company that clearly don't even care about their potential new staff and ask questions that make you get your hopes up thinking you have the job only to be told 2 days later you don't. Don't ask information about things you should only require if you're going to offer the candidate the job.

General Assistant Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at J Sainsbury.

Interview

Online application with 20 questions, phone interview with general questions about the role and why you want to work for sainsburys, initial interview/assessment which consisted of 2 questions and an assessment of finding positive and negative about the department you will be placed in, job offer