J Sainsbury Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 21, 2017

2.2

General Assistant Night Shift Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Somerset, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Somerset, NJ) in December 2015.

Interview

To begin with this was one of my more easier interviews that I've done.

Apply online

Take the general assessment test

If you passed you'll receive an email with irc number then you will call hr to confirm interview date, position and what is needed.

Arrived at store, sign in meet interviewer

Taken to interview room

Go through your details and job you applied for

Talk about urself and your hobbies

Standard interview questions listed bellow

Go onto shop floor. Look at an Isle they give you note down good and bad points. Then go to checkout and assess the customer service being given again good and bad points.

Go back to discuss points.

End of interview.

There was only me and the interviewer. The whole process was very relaxed and they talked you through every step of the process. Don't panic just relax should be an easy experience for anyone applying.

Team Leader In Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Streatham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Streatham, England (UK)).

Interview

As soon as I applied for the vacancy, was required to pass situational based questions. Then got an email inviting me to a competency based telephone interview. Once I passed that stage, was given an interview with the store manager of the Streatham supermarket branch. On the interview day I was surprised by the lack of organisation. Despite the fact I arrived 1 hour early I was seen by the store manager much later than my scheduled interview slot, as she arrived to the store very late. The interview seemed very rushed and was asked only 4 basic questions which was a shame as I had done plenty of research in advance. After the brief 15 minute duration of the interview I was escorted out.

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)).

Interview

Fairly easy and friendly interview process.

First stage - application. This stage is just a standard application form where you have to answer a questionnaire, Sainsbury's are all about team work and customers coming first so just remember that! For me, after filling out the online application I heard back the next day for the telephone interview.

Second stage - telephone interview. I was given an IRC number and told to call the HR department within 24 hours (this was at 8 in the morning) I called at 10 after preparing and they asked me 3/4 questions. Straight after the phone call they offered me the 1-1 interview as I passed the telephone interview.

Third stage - 1-1. This was the most nerve wracking for me as I get bad anxiety before interviews. It was at 9:30 and I arrived ten minutes early and reported myself to the customer service desk. A lovely girl asked me what hours I had applied for and once I told her she said I'd be working with her and not to be nervous, she made me feel much better and I waited in staff room for interviewer. The manager came and got me and she was lovely and took me to a nice meeting room area. She asked me for my documents and asked me uniform sizes, travel to work, induction dates and holidays. Then she asked me 4 questions and the whole interview took 15 minutes!! She was so friendly and it was pretty informal and chatty. I wore a dark green leather skirt with a checkered shirt as it's smart causal.

Don't be nervous and there so friendly and make you feel great!! I only had the interview an hour ago so haven't heard yet!

Interview Questions

• Phone interview -
      1. name a time you gave great customer service to ONE customer.
      2. What attracted you to Sainsbury's

3. Why do you want to work for Sainsbury's
      4.how have you solved problems within a team
      Answer Question

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Very easy and quite informal.I was shown to the Colleagues Room and waited for my interviewer.He work in the UK and showed my passport and proof of address and NI number.We spoke about me and what are my keen interests and what I expect from Sainsbury's and the hours I agreed to.
    He said we would be doing a floor walk and I had to write down things I found on the sales floor and how I could improve on them.This process took about 20 minutes and was very easy.We spoke about the different sections.Don't be afraid to ask questions and I spoke about things within them.
    we then went back upstairs to the interview room to discuss what I had written.Then he took my uniform sizes and said they would be in touch.Usually within five days.
    I hope I get it as it seems to be a very lovely company to work for and all the staff and management are friendly.

Convenience Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Birmingham, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

I saw the vacancy on Indeed, followed the link and landed on the Sainsbury's jobs website. Created an account, put my details in and completed a 15 question situational assessment. The day later I received an email inviting me to a telephone interview. Called the number and was greeted by a well spoken chap who explained in detail what the vacancy was about. It's a Saintsbury's Local, so the Assistant needs to multitask between tills, shelving, and so on. This was followed by a serious of questions about customer service (see below). Then the interviewer put me on hold for a couple of minutes and then told me I was successful and arranged a face to face interview at the day later. I turned up for the interview and I was greeted by the manager and assistant manager. The manager asked me if I knew what the job was all about and I replied it was about multitasking on the store floor, to which he replied to me that the vacancy was for a hot food and bakery assistant and there would be little or no customer facing role. I replied that this was not fair, because the advert did not mention anything of the like. He replied, implying that I didn't understand the advert well. So I showed him a screenshot of the original vacancy. He looked genuinely surprised and he wasn't aware that the advert was not accurate. He asked if I was still interested in the vacancy but I told him I wouldn't consider it because the whole recruitment process was a shambles at best and fraudulent at worst. All in all a frustrating and demoralising experience!

Convenience Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

1. Filling an Online Application and attempted an online quiz which is based on customer service in order to submit the application.

2. If you are successful you will receive a text message and an email offering a telephone interview which lasts 20 minutes.
    -Eligibility to work in the Uk
    -Motivation to join Sainsbury's
    -Why do you think you are suitable for this role

If you are successful you will be informed at the end of telephone interview and if not you will be informed that you are unsuccessful immediately after a few minutes of the interview by an email.

3. Then you will be offered 1:1 interview with store manager or a Deputy Manager which lasts 1 hour. First, you will go through usual eligibility to work rights and then a walk in and around the shop floor. You will be asked to list down the features the store performing good at and could perform better at.

If you are successful you will be informed within 3-7 days, depends on the vacancy they are filling and the interviews they are holding.

Then finally you, you will receive a text message for which you need to call the number they have provided in order to accept the offer and to get details about the induction dates.

Then the job is all yours ☺️

P.S Even though you are unsuccessful at the telephone interview do not give up. Apply again for another vacancy and try to attempt the interview again which gives you more confidence and clarification about the patterns of recruitment process.

Never settle down. Keep going

Interview Questions

• -Motivation to join Sainsbury's   1 Answer
    • -Why do you think you are suitable for this role   1 Answer
    • -Explain a situation where you went an extra mile to help a Customer (Make sure you elaborate on the example since that answer decides your success of interview)   1 Answer

Online Shopper Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Leeds, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online on Saturday , got text on Monday to arrange interview, went to interview the Sunday after' found out I got the job 5 days later ' induction week after.

Interview Questions

• Why Sainsbury's
      About my last job
      Tell me about your self
      Answer Question

Negotiation

Good

Travel Money Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Fill in the online application form and perform an online situational judgement test. I received an email the next day inviting me to interview - call up HR to do so. Interview consisted of three parts: Checking documents and housekeeping such as uniform sizes etc and then a Maths test - currency exchange and counting questions - basic GCSE level and you are given 20 minutes and a calculator to do this. The interview will then ask you a few questions (provided below). Very friendly and chatty interview. I received an offer of employment in the late afternoon and have to go through some paperwork with HR before starting.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Sainsburys?   1 Answer
    • How you handled a difficult customer and what you could do better?   Answer Question
    • Give a time when you had to prioritise multiple tasks and what you could do better?   Answer Question
    • What knowledge and skills can you bring from your past?   1 Answer
    • What do you think you will be doing in this role?   1 Answer

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J Sainsbury.

Interview

I filled out an online application and received an email 24 hours later stating I had a telephone interview. I kept a record of all my answers throughout the process to ensure I remembered. Upon phoning, I confirmed my ID number, my full name and then went on to my security question. However I was then told that I got the wrong answer when I clearly had a copy of the answer in front of me and knew it was correct so how I got it wrong, I don't know. I then attempted with my two other possible answers of my security question (there were only three possible answers I could have given) to be told that they were all wrong and that I had officially lost the position and the interview would not take place. I was then told to reapply for the role but when I went on to the site to find the role, it had been removed.

Never again will I apply for a job with Sainsbury's.

Fresh Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Watford, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Watford, East of England, England (UK)).

Interview

Brief maths and literacy test based on videos that were watched "oranges are 13p each and John buys 6 how much has he spent type thing" followed by a short interview. Was asked about teamwork and strengths ect.

Interview Questions

• Can you explain a time you have worked as part of a team?   Answer Question