J Sainsbury Night Shift General Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

J Sainsbury Night Shift General Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Jun 13, 2017

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Somerset, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Somerset, NJ) in December 2015.

Interview

To begin with this was one of my more easier interviews that I've done.

Apply online

Take the general assessment test

If you passed you'll receive an email with irc number then you will call hr to confirm interview date, position and what is needed.

Arrived at store, sign in meet interviewer

Taken to interview room

Go through your details and job you applied for

Talk about urself and your hobbies

Standard interview questions listed bellow

Go onto shop floor. Look at an Isle they give you note down good and bad points. Then go to checkout and assess the customer service being given again good and bad points.

Go back to discuss points.

End of interview.

There was only me and the interviewer. The whole process was very relaxed and they talked you through every step of the process. Don't panic just relax should be an easy experience for anyone applying.

Interview Questions

• Why sainsburys and what can you bring to this role?   1 Answer
  • When did you perform excellent customer service?   Answer Question
  • When did you have to work in a team and what did you learn?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for J Sainsbury

General Assistant Night Shift Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at J Sainsbury.

Interview

Applied online I completed the questionnaire online and was successful. The following day I was told to ring HR with a unique ref Num and arrange an 1-1 interview at the store. My interview was the following fri and 23:00. It went really well I was asked to fill out a form with my uniform sizes, then I was informed of when the induction would be and whether I can attend and bring documentation which I signed. I was asked only three questions about which I believe is their typical procedure.

Interview Questions

• Why Sainsbury's

When have you built trust with colleagues

A time where you gave good customer service
      Answer Question

General Assistant Night Shift Interview

Anonymous Employee in Truro, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Truro, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online about 10pm, had an invite to interview via text and email by 9am the next day.
    Interview took place 5 days later.

Interviewer was friendly and relaxed. He had a paper which laid out the standard interview process but as I was only applying for a temporary position for 4 weeks in the run up to Christmas the interview was not as lengthy as for permanent staff.

-First is just the official paperwork stuff. You just have to show your documents to prove your right to work in the UK, and proof of address to show that you are within the catchment area for the store. Then there are a few questions just to ensure that you are aware of what the job entails and consider yourself fit to proceed. Very straightforward.

-Next are the interview questions and scenarios. I'll list the questions and answers below, but the scenarios were pretty common sense stuff.
    Scenario 1) you arrive at work at 10pm (store closes at 11pm) and you notice a jar of mayonnaise that has fallen off a shelf and smashed. What do you do?
    My response: I would ask someone to arrange a clean up ASAP (one of those "clean up aisle 4" announcements), but in the mean time I would stand there and warn people of the hazard, as while that is there the store is liable for any injury caused by slipping in mayonnaise or cuts from broken glass.
    Scenario 2) somebody has left a roll cage in front of the fire exit. What do you do?
    My response: Move the roll cage straight away to ensure that the fire exit is clear and visible. Remind other employees around and about (hopefully the responsible party!) that it is vital to keep fire exits clear at all times.

Interview questions were related to customer service, whilst scenarios were more about health and safety. I got the impression that they just wanted someone that they can trust to get the job done and not get a lawsuit against them for something stupid!

My experience overall was really positive. I dread corporate recruitment procedures, but Sainsbury's was definitely one of the more common sense approaches. No psychometric nonsense. They obviously trust their managerial staff to make decisions which is good. HR staff at the phone stages were also friendly and efficient.

Interview Questions

• What does good customer service mean to you?   1 Answer
    • Give an example of when you experienced good customer service.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of bad customer service   Answer Question
    • Give an example of the time you gave really good customer service.   Answer Question

Night Shift General Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (London, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

After completing a situational judgement test online I was invited for an interview at Sainsbury's supermarket. After signing in at the customer services desk I was taken to a small interview room. Other than the two main questions, the interview was more like a friendly conversation with the interviewer getting to know me more as a person. We also went over my details such as proof of address, ability to work, uniform size etc. After the interview I was walked back to the customer services desk to sign out, and was told I would be informed of the outcome the following day by text or email. I received a text the next morning with a job offer.

Interview Questions

• The main question was: Why did you apply for this position in particular?   1 Answer
    • Other question: What do you expect to be doing in this role?   1 Answer

General Assistant Night Shift Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Albans, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Saint Albans, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

quick and straight forward. the interviewer was easy to talk to which made me feel welcome into the business straight away, after that the whole process was very straight forward.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to prove yourself to previous work colleagues?   1 Answer

General Assistant (Night Shift) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (London, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

I arrived on time to the oxford circus berners street for 4 pm .

The manager made me wait , how professional , interview started 4:40

The manager was not educated here and his english was not great so hes asking me questions that he does not even understand , and is expecting a different answer, he was asking irrelevant things and the interview dragged on , i left around 5:45

The store was an asain store lets just say i saw 2 black and 2 white staff and the rest indians

Interview was simple and the manager probably had already made up his mind to hire his cousin sanj or sanita , i do believe hes racist

Pointless from being late to not even understanding his own questions he was asking, On typing this I thank God that I didnt get the job , im over qualifed for a customer service night shift under a racist manager

Interview Questions

• A time you offered good customer service
      A time you helped your colleague
      Every penny counts a time I helped to save the business money
      1 Answer

General Assistant Night Shift Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bromley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Bromley, England (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied online, and after 2 days was asked to call HR for a telephone interview. After passing that, was asked to do a 1 on 1 interview. Terrible experience, where the colleague kept giving me weird looks, and just asking some dumb questions that were not even relevant to the role I was applying for. Felt I completely wasted my time, all for a picking support job. Probably best…

General Assistant (Night Shift) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Haywards Heath, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Haywards Heath, England (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied online, heard back relatively quickly and was invited for an interview at 9pm, I was told to report to the customer service section. When I got there it took almost 10 minutes of waiting before I was able to meet the interviewer and begin the interview.

I was asked a few questions like my clothing size, if I had any holidays booked, why I wanted to work for sainsburys. I had to go around the store and look at things they were doing well and things try could do better at, they gave me a tour of the warehouse where the stocks are kept.

My interview took place on a Friday, Monday was a bank holiday so I heard back Tuesday morning

General Assistant Night Shift Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gravesend, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Gravesend, England (UK)).

Interview

I applied online and answered a series of questions. I was then contacted by text message which asked me to call a phone number to arrange an interview. At the interview I was sat in a small room with two other people who were applying for different jobs. We watched a training video and then filled out an exam sheet. A few days later I was asked to go back to attend a second interview. This time it was a one on one interview. They seemed extremely desperate to get a hold of both my references and seemed frustrated when I explained one of them had recently left the company. During the interview I was asked odd questions about what I knew about the company. All this for a shelf stacking job. Towards the end of the interview I was asked what I knew about children's fashion as this is where I would be working. I admitted I knew nothing and asked why this was never mentioned in the job advert or when I came down for the first interview. She admitted it was unfair to not explain what the role was about. I wasn't surprised to discover a week later that they didn't feel I was suitable for the position. A waste of mine and there time that could have been avoided if they'd put more information in the job description.

General Assistant Night Shift Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (London, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

The whole process took approximately 1hour but, it varies!

I Was accepted by the company via email as I answered the assessment questions well. I was invited for a phone interview which was extremely nerve racking! I think the questions were: when have you gone for the extra mile for a customer? Honestly I completely forgot the rest of the questions. But, when you first call up they ask you about the basics e.g- name, role, position!

I was then booked in for an interview. I arrived 15 mins early and approached a staff member. I wanted to get an idea of what a general assistant does..we were chatting away..in fact the staff member took me to the customer desk to get signed in and took me to get my interview done.

I had to sit in the canteen for the 10minutes or so...my fingers were absolutely cold..I would say to warm up your hands before shaking the hand of the interviewer...just to be a little welcoming!

I was then handed over to the interviewer who proceeded to start with the basics and check my documents. I was then told that I could put my bag somewhere. That way I could walk freely on the shop floor for my next task. I was told to jot down a few things that were done well and things that weren't/needed improvement..I even asked the interviewer if a certain electrical item needed a tag..the interviewer said that a tv should be tagged. I wrote down that the tv was not tagged etc..

I was sat back at the canteen until a empty room was found to be interviewed in. That took 3 seconds..I clearly don't know why I am even bothering with writing this sentence! I guess I need to set the scene!!

The next process involved in asking questions: 1.) what attracted you to sainsburys 2.) what do you do/why retail(I think that was the question) 3.) how will you get here 4.)tell me a time when a situation was dealt with..I think that was it..I'm pretty sure there was one more question. But, I'm zoned out from the interview so apologies!

Interview Questions

• What attracted you to sainsburys?   1 Answer