J Sainsbury Sales Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

J Sainsbury Sales Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Oct 13, 2016

2.2

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at J Sainsbury.

Interview

I applied for the job via their website, the application included the usual questions (Proof, References, and grades) and an online assessment to assess my knowledge on customer service.

The next day I received a text from Sainsburys HR to contact them to arrange an interview date (which was 6 days later).

On the day of the interview I arrived 15 minutes early to the customer service desk where I was given a visitor badge and was taken to an interview room.

Note: I wouldn't wear your very best shirt/top unless you don't mind making a hole in it (from the badge).

The interview was 1-1 and lasted around 1 hour. They checked my right of work documents, passport, uniform sizes etc. We then went onto the shop floor and I had to write down all the positive and negative things (which could be improved) about the store. After we went back to the interview room and went through what I had written down and was asked 4-5 questions.

The next day I received a text saying that they have offered me the job and to call HR to arrange a day for my induction.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for J Sainsbury

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Passed the online application where you had to answer questions based on different shop floor situations. Then was told to call up and do a phone interview, it was general customer service questions, passed and was told on the spot. Next, I was booked in for a face to face interview at Greenford. The booking was for a week later. It took me 2 hours to get there and on arrival, I found out that my name wasn't on the list. They had given me the wrong address on the email. I called back, then apologized and said would rearrange interview. I just gave up, very poor department.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (London, England (UK)) in October 2015.

Interview

Online test- situational with best and worst situations, phone interview with questions and then in store interview with line manager, was given 4 pictures and asked to write down what was good and bad in each. Then a chat to check the hours were right and talk about upcoming holidays, uniform size etc.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you went out of your way to deliver excellent customer service?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question
    • What do you think your role as a sales assistant will involve?   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

Applied online through the sainsburys website, got asked in for an interview which lasted an hour. They asked various questions such as confirming your details, why you wanted the job and what my skills are. Then got asked various scenario questions and pros and cons of a certain picture from the store. Got offered the job 4 days later! :)

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Sheffield, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

I applied for the job online. Then followed up the application by phone where I was told that I had got through to the interview process. They emailed me all the information I needed for the interview that took place in the store I applied to work in and about a week or so later I was contacted by phone to tell me that I had got the job and about the induction days that I had to attend.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Sainsbury's   Answer Question
    • Can you give an example of time where you offered good customer services or received great customer service (I was given the option of which I would prefer to answer.)   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kingston upon Thames, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Kingston upon Thames, England (UK)).

Interview

The process consisted of a online test to see if you could deal with customers and if you pass this then you are offered a 1 on 1 interview at the store applied for. You will first do another test and have the interview with the manager.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (London, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online at first, got a text and email telling me I had passed the first stage and had to call for a phone interview.
    The interview lasted 15 mins I was asked four main questions which I had prepared for.
    I was told I was successful and my next interview wud be at the store. Had to go there in formal attire. Once I got there had to wait around until a manager came and got me. Was taken to the canteen.. After that was asked for proof to work in the UK and proof of address.
    Shortly after I was given a tour of the store and had to point out what was good and bad in the store. Thn I had another interview and was asked four more questions which were based on team work.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview questions :
      Motivation to join sainsburys
      Why you think you would be good in the role
      What would you find difficult about this job
      A time you have delivered good customer service

Face to Face interview
      Same as phone with one added question
      How do you work well in a team
      Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (London, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online ans asked to call a number to carry out a telephone interview. They tell you there and then weather you have progressed to the next stage

There are only a limited slots for the face to face interview and since I couldn't make it to any of those due to being in another part of the country, I had do decline their offer.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Birmingham, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied for the job online and then had a telephone interview. The telephone interview went great as I had done all my research beforehand (most of it on glassdoor.co.uk). I was then invited for a interview in the store. I did more research and prep for this on glassdoor.co.uk. I seemed like they have a set of interview question that do not change much, so I gathered as many of these questions from the reviews and practiced answering them. But on the day of the interview, I went to the store, they made me wait 10-15 mins in the staff room. I was then taken to a small, messy office by the team leader. I would say the interview was unprofessional. He asked me questions about my work history and was jotting down notes as I answered his questions, he then asked me a couple of general questions like, 'describe a time that you had to prioritise your workload' and that's all. The interview was over in around 15 minutes. I feel I was not able to show my full potential as the interview just focused on my work history, previous roles/duties and felt I was just repeating myself, I wasn't able to show what I could possibly bring to this job role etc

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you provided excellent customer service. Describe a time when you had to prioritise workload/deadlines.   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Renfrew, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Renfrew, Scotland (UK)) in October 2014.

Interview

Very brief, not much emphasis on customer satisfaction. Part of the interview was going around the shop with a piece of paper writing down things I would personally improve in the store. There were several spillages that went unmanned even when they were close to staff. Signs falling off the walls and shelves were bare. The interviewer seemed to take offence when I noted these things - even though that was the point of the interview.

Interview Questions

• I only got asked about three questions during the full process.   Answer Question