JET Program Assistant Language Teacher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

JET Program Assistant Language Teacher Interview Questions

Updated Jan 24, 2017

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at JET Program (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I was seated in front of a panel of three interviewers, two Japanese and one American. A large room was divided with a folding screen so that you could unfortunately hear neighboring interviews in progress. As I had previous experience learning Japanese, the interview was half in English and half in Japanese.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to teach English in Japan?   1 Answer
  • Do you have any experience teaching?   Answer Question
  • What interests you about Japanese culture?   Answer Question
  • Why did you study Japanese?   Answer Question
  • Please imagine that we are students who don't understand today's lesson. Explain to us "This is a pen."   Answer Question
  • What would you do if someone at a restaurant insulted Americans or got into an angry debate about culture?   Answer Question
  • How would you react if a Japanese teacher of English made a mistake when teaching a class?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for JET Program

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at JET Program (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

The embassy invites qualified applicants to interview. The interview was quick, lasting about 5 minutes. My panel of interviewers was a 2 former ALTs, one of which was employed by the embassy as the departure coordinator that year, and a professor of Japanese Studies at a local University. They were interested in asking me about experiences I felt would serve me in my position if I was chosen, and scenario questions to gauge my personality and abilities. While interviewing in a short amount of time in a very official setting is intimidating and difficult, they seem to just be assessing personalities, so be confident and let your true nature shine through.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you were placed on a remote island of 300 residents and didn't speak any Japanese?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at JET Program (Miami, FL) in March 2013.

Interview

You sit in a room and there are three people sitting at the table in front of you. They all take turns asking you questions about Japan. They ask you to speak in Japanese if you said you are capable. They also ask you do demonstrate a lesson that you would teach to the children in Japan.They ask you about Japan, Japanese culture and your interest. They also ask why you are interested in teaching grade school children.

Interview Questions

• In Japan, you may have a lot of free time, what will you do to keep yourself occupied outside of work?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at JET Program (Washington, DC) in February 2013.

Interview

Got called for the interview in DC. Walked in to the embassy about 20 minutes early. There was a waiting room with a previous JET teacher and a video about the JET experience. The woman I talked to was very nice and personable, willing to answer any question. Then I was led to an interview room with three interviewers. Two women who had done JET, one Japanese man who worked for the embassy. Basic question - why JET, what skills do you have that would help you, talk about when you've taught children, challenges you faced (I did volunteering with teaching kids music). Lots of questions based on my resume/application/personal statement. Also had to do a brief section in Japanese (because I speak it) talking to the Japanese man and then reading a selection and answering questions in Japanese about it.

Interview Questions

• You have to design a lesson where you teach three aspects of American culture - what three aspects do you choose and how do you represent each of them with an object.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at JET Program (Chicago, IL).

Interview

-The application and hiring process for JET takes around 7-8 months in total.
    -First round of written applications are due in November (requires personal statement outlining reasons why you want to live and work in Japan, a resume, and two letters of recommendation)
    -Received notification that I had made it to the interview stage in January and the interview was in February.

-The interview was roughly 30 minutes long and with a panel of three interviewers
    -Most of the questions were straight forward (questions that you would expect in any interview). That being said, they may try to "rattle your cage" to see how you react in a stressful situation. In my interview one of the interviewers played the "bad cop" and asked the tougher questions and grilled me more than the other two interviewers on the panel. Just try not to let the cage rattling phase you and remain upbeat and positive.

-I finally received notification that I had been put on the "short list" for placement in March and received information about the city where I had been placed two or three weeks after that

Interview Questions

• Demonstrate how you would introduce yourself to a class of Japanese students.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. JET contracts are set from the beginning.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at JET Program (Boston, MA) in March 2010.

Interview

you get interviewed by some people from the embassy and also some japanese person probably. the interview does not determine where you go in japan, and you can't haggle. everyone panics over it but it's actually pretty easy, and whether you get hired is a crap shoot anyway, so just practice the questions like you would for a real job and buff up on your japanese in case they give you a pop quiz

Interview Questions

• what would you do if a japanese person was rude to you?   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation

Assistant Language Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at JET Program in February 2009.

Interview

After the initial application process I was notified about two months later that I would be getting an interview for the Assistant Language Teacher position. Upon arrival at the consulate we were first greeted by security and made to go through a metal detector, after this we were instructed to watch a video providing some insight as to what life as an ALT would be like. Eventually the I was called back for the interview. My interviewers were three women, all middle-aged, two former ALT's and one JET admin of some sort. They asked a variety of questions, from general background info to what I holiday I would choose to teach a class and why. Overall I thought the interview went well and was surprised when I did not receive an offer, but when I talked with my peers that were applying also it seemed they gave the person who spent the least amount of time in Japan the offer, which may indicate that if you've lived in Japan for some time and your language ability is up to snuff it may behoove you to apply for the CIR position.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if your teacher did not want to utilize you and you just sat in the back of the classroom all the time?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at JET Program (New York, NY) in February 2009.

Interview

After submitting the application and being informed of being accepted for the interview, I interviewed at the NYC CLAIR office in mid-February. Was put in a waiting room with other candidates and a greeter. Not sure if the greeter gives feedback on the candidates, but chatted them up anyway just to be safe.

My interview panel consisted of a Japanese person, a CLAIR official and a former JET. None of the questions were hard. Every question they asked I had been able to find on some JET-related website beforehand, so just do your research. The whole thing was very short, I was in by 9.50am (for a 10am interview) and out by 10.15am.

Interview Questions

• I listed in my application that I could speak Japanese, and was asked one question in Japanese. It was ludicrously easy: What have you done today?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Was notified in early April of the decision via email. There is no negotiation. The only consistent thing across JET is the salary.

Assistant Language Teacher Interview

Interview

The interview wasn't nearly as ad as I thought - I'd read lots of reviews about good cop/bad cop, but they were both very friendly. The interview goes so quickly though (it was fifteen mins but felt like two) so you really have to use the time to stand out. They didn't ask me anything aout my Japanese even though I'm learning, and they didn't ask anything about 'why Japan?' which suprised me.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you were lost in a rural area at night and spoke no Japanese?Tell us about a news story you've heard about Japan lately?   Answer Question

Assistant Language Teacher Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at JET Program in February 2011.

Interview

It was at the local consulate. I met the program coordinator in the lobby, and then I went into a meeting room in the back with a few tables, Japanese cultural stuff on the walls, the other interviewees, and a former JET. Although talking to the former JET was not part of the interview, engage him and be friendly because I'm sure he was consulted later. Two sets of panel interviews were being conducted at the same time, so when it was my turn I was led to a room with two tables, one for me, one for the three-person interview team. The panel had their back to the window, so the view was a little distracting.

At the time, it seemed very formal. In hindsight, I found the process relaxed by Japanese standards. Even though only one person I interviewed with was actually Japanese, the culture was quite Japanese-y and formal by American standards. In general, don't let the formality through you off. There were plenty of my jokes that no one laughed at. I would advise, seem as friendly and outgoing as possible, nevermind if they seem subdued. Bringing in pictures about my life (as examples of what I would do in Japan), seemed to go over well. I think most of their decision was made from my paper application before I ever entered the room.

Most of the questions I got were not about teaching or my interest in Japan, they were about a previous move across the country and adjusting to a new environment.

Interview Questions

• What do you plan to do after JET?   1 Answer