JET Program Assistant Language Teacher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

JET Program Assistant Language Teacher Interview Questions

Interviews at JET Program

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at JET Program (Seattle, WA) in March 2014.

Interview

My interview was with three people and it lasted about half an hour. They asked me about my teaching experience, why I was interested in Japan, if I had any experience with internal relations already, and about my Japanese language ability.

Interview Questions

• Imagine we (the interviewers) are Japanese elementary school students. You must teach us about the American holiday of July Fourth. How will you teach us and what will you say? You have a white board at your disposal and 30 seconds to prepare.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for JET Program

Assistant Language Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at JET Program.

Interview

Individual Interview with a panel of three people: a Japanese language teacher, a member from the Japanese consulate and a former ALT. Everyone's so friendly!! The people doing reception, fellow applicants and especially the interviewers! They honestly just want to get to know your personality. The reception people try their best to chat with you to loosen you up before your interview and get your minds off things so you're relaxed.

Tried my best to emphasize my experience with cultural exchange because I've had little teaching experience.

--incomplete review: will update my interview results in March/April--

Interview Questions

• Pretend that we are your students and teach us about one holiday of your choice   Answer Question
    • How did you enjoy your trips to Japan and how did you deal with any issues during your stay?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at JET Program (San Francisco, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

After completing the extensive application, you receive a notice whether or not you receive an interview invitation for February. After a few months you receive a notice whether or not you are shortlisted, an alternate, or not selected at all.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at JET Program (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I went in to the consulate near me, LA, and was interviewed by 3 different people. 1 was with the Japanese Embassy, 1 was with the Japanese Consulate, and the other was a former ALT. Most questions I could remember were about how I would react in different scenarios, many were about who I'd like to teach and where I'd like to live.

Interview Questions

• What are 3 things you'd teach your students about your hometown?   Answer Question
    • How would you react if an ALT had completely different views than you?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to do the JET Program?   Answer Question

Assistant Language Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at JET Program.

Interview

Four person interview where questions about qualifications, situation assessments and main goal for your application were asked. During my interview, the panel consisted of one JET alumni, one employee from the Japanese consulate and two university professors.

Interview Questions

• What is your reason for going to Japan to take this job?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at JET Program (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

The embassy invites qualified applicants to interview. The interview was quick, lasting about 5 minutes. My panel of interviewers was a 2 former ALTs, one of which was employed by the embassy as the departure coordinator that year, and a professor of Japanese Studies at a local University. They were interested in asking me about experiences I felt would serve me in my position if I was chosen, and scenario questions to gauge my personality and abilities. While interviewing in a short amount of time in a very official setting is intimidating and difficult, they seem to just be assessing personalities, so be confident and let your true nature shine through.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you were placed on a remote island of 300 residents and didn't speak any Japanese?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at JET Program (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I was seated in front of a panel of three interviewers, two Japanese and one American. A large room was divided with a folding screen so that you could unfortunately hear neighboring interviews in progress. As I had previous experience learning Japanese, the interview was half in English and half in Japanese.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to teach English in Japan?   1 Answer
    • Do you have any experience teaching?   Answer Question
    • What interests you about Japanese culture?   Answer Question
    • Why did you study Japanese?   Answer Question
    • Please imagine that we are students who don't understand today's lesson. Explain to us "This is a pen."   Answer Question
    • What would you do if someone at a restaurant insulted Americans or got into an angry debate about culture?   Answer Question
    • How would you react if a Japanese teacher of English made a mistake when teaching a class?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at JET Program (Miami, FL) in March 2013.

Interview

You sit in a room and there are three people sitting at the table in front of you. They all take turns asking you questions about Japan. They ask you to speak in Japanese if you said you are capable. They also ask you do demonstrate a lesson that you would teach to the children in Japan.They ask you about Japan, Japanese culture and your interest. They also ask why you are interested in teaching grade school children.

Interview Questions

• In Japan, you may have a lot of free time, what will you do to keep yourself occupied outside of work?   1 Answer

Assistant Language Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at JET Program.

Interview

I was seated in front of three people, a former ALT and CIR, and a Japanese woman. They interviewers were very kind and it felt more like a conversation than an interview. It was my very first interview and I was very nervous, but I think they understood that and only wanted to know how you can fit within the JET Program. They asked a variety of questions pertaining to my abilities and what I would do in a certain situation.

Interview Questions

• Pretend that you are in front of 2nd graders with the intent of them learning something about your home country.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at JET Program (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Online and mail Application, then interview. Interview really is all about getting to know you - especially your interest in Japan and passion to teach. Really recommend going over your application multiple times.