JET Program Assistant Language Teacher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

JET Program Assistant Language Teacher Interview Questions

Updated Sep 28, 2017

23 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at JET Program (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Difficult, but not impossible, do your research, be prepared, dress your best. They'll quiz you on the basics of being a teacher to find out if you can cut it.

Interview Questions

• How would you teach a lesson on American Culture?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for JET Program

Assistant Language Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at JET Program.

Interview

I was seated in front of three people, a former ALT and CIR, and a Japanese woman. They interviewers were very kind and it felt more like a conversation than an interview. It was my very first interview and I was very nervous, but I think they understood that and only wanted to know how you can fit within the JET Program. They asked a variety of questions pertaining to my abilities and what I would do in a certain situation.

Interview Questions

• Pretend that you are in front of 2nd graders with the intent of them learning something about your home country.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at JET Program (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Online and mail Application, then interview. Interview really is all about getting to know you - especially your interest in Japan and passion to teach. Really recommend going over your application multiple times.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at JET Program (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I was seated in front of a panel of three interviewers, two Japanese and one American. A large room was divided with a folding screen so that you could unfortunately hear neighboring interviews in progress. As I had previous experience learning Japanese, the interview was half in English and half in Japanese.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to teach English in Japan?   1 Answer
    • Do you have any experience teaching?   Answer Question
    • What interests you about Japanese culture?   Answer Question
    • Why did you study Japanese?   Answer Question
    • Please imagine that we are students who don't understand today's lesson. Explain to us "This is a pen."   Answer Question
    • What would you do if someone at a restaurant insulted Americans or got into an angry debate about culture?   Answer Question
    • How would you react if a Japanese teacher of English made a mistake when teaching a class?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at JET Program (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Detailed application, including a personal statement, then a panel interview several months later. The panel interview also seemed to be a screening of sorts, with JET alumni tacitly assessing us in the waiting room.

Interview Questions

• How do you anticipate dealing with a community of mostly older people?   Answer Question
    • How will you integrate yourself into the community in Japan?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at JET Program (Boston, MA) in February 2016.

Interview

I submitted my packet in November. I got an email in early January that I got to the interview stage at the consulate. To prep, I looked up the questions on Glassdoor and emailed some friends and acquaintances who were doing the program.

I interviewed in February. It was a 3-person panel, with 1 white guy and 2 Japanese staff (1 male, 1 female). The white guy was obviously the "bad cop", while the Japanese staff were the "nice cop" (especially the woman). Because I wrote down places like Okinawa as my preferred locations, I got asked very specific questions about how I would acclimate to those areas. I believe I gave them the answers they wanted (especially about the "bad Americans" and "Okinawan culture"), but it did take me a few minutes of thinking and speaking out what I was thinking to get there.

I got the offer in May, but declined because I received an offer from a more prestigious fellowship.

Interview Questions

• Your form mentions that you are a vegetarian. How will you find food during your first few weeks, given that the Japanese diet primarily consists of fish and meat?   1 Answer
    • Say you are out with your co-workers. One of them gets very drunk and says to you, "[Name], I hate Americans and American soldiers. American soldiers are rapists and killers." How do you respond?   1 Answer
    • Okinawa is very different from the rest of Japan. How will you experience Japanese culture if you are sent there?   1 Answer
    • I had to describe a lesson plan on something American.   Answer Question
    • Now we are going to test your knowledge of Japanese. Let's have a conversation in Japanese.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at JET Program (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

The embassy invites qualified applicants to interview. The interview was quick, lasting about 5 minutes. My panel of interviewers was a 2 former ALTs, one of which was employed by the embassy as the departure coordinator that year, and a professor of Japanese Studies at a local University. They were interested in asking me about experiences I felt would serve me in my position if I was chosen, and scenario questions to gauge my personality and abilities. While interviewing in a short amount of time in a very official setting is intimidating and difficult, they seem to just be assessing personalities, so be confident and let your true nature shine through.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you were placed on a remote island of 300 residents and didn't speak any Japanese?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at JET Program (Boston, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

The application process to get to the interview stage is long. There are long periods where you don't receive any updates, which can make it difficult to plan out applications for other opportunities.

The interview itself was short and a pleasant experience. In my experience, there wasn't any kind of good-cop bad-cop routine nor any attempts to put me under pressure. Rather, the interviewers asked questions to follow-up on details from my application and get a gauge of how JET might fit in to my career prospects and vice versa.

Interview Questions

• Please describe this picture using the Japanese you know.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at JET Program (Washington, DC) in February 2014.

Interview

I went to the Japanese embassy and was interviewed by a panel including one former JET teacher, one Japanese administrator and one American administrator. It was about 30 minutes or less.

Interview Questions

• What is an example lesson you might to teach to share American culture?   1 Answer
    • What would you do if you felt homesick?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at JET Program (Miami, FL) in March 2013.

Interview

You sit in a room and there are three people sitting at the table in front of you. They all take turns asking you questions about Japan. They ask you to speak in Japanese if you said you are capable. They also ask you do demonstrate a lesson that you would teach to the children in Japan.They ask you about Japan, Japanese culture and your interest. They also ask why you are interested in teaching grade school children.

Interview Questions

• In Japan, you may have a lot of free time, what will you do to keep yourself occupied outside of work?   1 Answer