JOANN Stores Seasonal Team Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

JOANN Stores Seasonal Team Member Interview Questions

Interviews at JOANN Stores

2.0

Anonymous Employee in Colonia, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at JOANN Stores (Colonia, NJ) in November 2014.

Interview

It was a pretty regular retail interview, asking if i had prior experience, why i want to work for joanns, how to handle customer explaints. Once accepted they bring you to what they call their orientation where they just talk about the company

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for JOANN Stores

Anonymous Employee in Cumming, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at JOANN Stores (Cumming, GA) in September 2016.

Interview

Interview last approx. 50 minutes. Was asked many questions that seem fairly normal for any job ("what does customer service mean to you, etc) as well as questions related to crafts, hobbying, and sewing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corte Madera, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at JOANN Stores (Corte Madera, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Manager explained philosophy of company and floor duties. He also explained that everyone starts part time at 28 hrs. per week. I was told it gets very busy at that location and he has a hard time finding people to work there so the job can get quite demanding especially through the fall holidays.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Joanns?   1 Answer

I declined because I was not told that I would have to unload boxes and fabric bolts off the delivery truck as part of my duties one a week. Health insurance is not provided with the part time position so I was reluctant to take that chance as I have had back surgery in the past.

Seasonal Team Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at JOANN Stores.

Interview

I applied online and the next day, I was called to set up an interview. After, I came in for an interview. A few days later, I received an offer through email. Quick process!

Anonymous Employee in Charleston, WV

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at JOANN Stores (Charleston, WV) in October 2017.

Interview

I went up to the register and told an employee that I was there for an interview. She took me back to the classroom and I sat down at a table, where she said the manager would be just a few minutes. Two other people eventually showed up- so it turned out to be a group interview. I was really annoyed by this in the first place, because I don’t think group interviews are fair, but I went with it anyway. The manager and assistant manager came in, and they were surprisingly very nice and cheerful. I felt very welcomed and not pressured at all. The manager told us all about the company and a few things about the interview, then proceeded to ask us a couple questions. After we answered them all, the manager and asst. manager walked out for a moment, then came back in to tell us that we were all hired. She explained very thoroughly about the hiring process and that we are to keep up with our emails to see about the background check and whatnot, as well as our first training day.

All in all I was very pleased with the interview experience and I actually urged my friends to go apply as well. I’ve never met a manager that was more thorough with explaining everything about the hiring process than this one was, and I really appreciated it because it kills me when managers just expect employees to know what to do.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever dealt with a rude customer, and how did you overcome it   Answer Question
    • Explain what customer service means to you, and give an example of a time you gave or received excellent customer service   Answer Question
    • Explain a little bit about your current job, and tell what experience you have with arts and crafts   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at JOANN Stores (Huntsville, AL) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Within 4-5 days, I received an email about moving on to the interview process. Another 2-3 days later, I received a phone call about scheduling an interview. I had an interview within the week and received an offer 2 days later. So, the entire process took about 2 weeks from the time of my application submission to my email offer.

Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at JOANN Stores (Eugene, OR) in September 2013.

Interview

Very basic interview. Got called a couple weeks after applying and set up and interview. The store manager told me that she was going to make me an offer at the end of the interview, later that night I got an email outlining the process to start the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Everett, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at JOANN Stores (Everett, WA) in September 2014.

Interview

I filled out an application online, got a call for an interview a couple days later. I had applied for a permanent position a few months ago and I wasn't sure which position it was I actually interviewing for. The manager who called spoke really quickly and I couldn't understand what her name was, but she gave me two timeslots to come in. I missed her call the first time and had to call back, and when I did, I had a problem because, like I said, I couldn't understand her name so I wasn't sure who I was supposed to be asking for. Eventually I figured it out, though, and she wasn't even there, but one of the other managers (?) said he'd give her the message.

So the day of the interview came and I had a really upset stomach due to nerves, so I ended up being a bit later than I intended, but I thought that was okay because she hadn't actually given me a real timeslot, just a time range, but apparently I was supposed to have gotten there before the start of the time range.

My mom and sister had both worked at Jo Ann's before and said their interviews were basically like "Are you available and do you have functioning brain cells?" so I was really caught off guard when there was a really long interview. I thought I did pretty well, although I had some trouble with some of the questions because I don't have much work experience so I didn't really have answers.

At the end, the manager said she had to review all my answers and stuff with one of the higher-up managers and if she liked me, then I'd get called in for yet another interview, which surprised me because most of the interviews on this website didn't mention a second interview, and it seems especially excessive for a part-time seasonal position. But she didn't give me any sort of idea of when I should expect to hear back if I'm selected for a second interview, so I don't know if I'm still waiting for a call or if I'm just not getting hired.

By the way, there's no space to add it, but one of the interview questions was why Jo Ann's, of course, and I was also asked why Jo Ann's instead of the place I've been working the past two holiday seasons.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you delivered great customer service?   1 Answer
    • Have you ever had to deal with long lines?   1 Answer
    • Have you ever been late to work, and if so, how did you handle it?   1 Answer
    • Did a manager or supervisor ever tell you to do something you disagreed with, and how did you handle it?   1 Answer
    • Do you have any plans for the day after Thanksgiving?   1 Answer

Team Member (Seasonal) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at JOANN Stores in September 2014.

Interview

Applied online on Thursday around 3pm, was called the next day (Friday) arond 11:30am to set up an interview. I was in class at this time and was unable to answer the call, but the manager left the store's number and the times she would be available Saturday for me to call. I called Saturday first thing, and was set up with an interview on Sunday. Arrived 10 minutes early, interview took about 20 minutes. The manager described the job, the hours, the pay, and asked if I had any questions. We chatted the majority of the time, unlike any interview I had ever done before. Received an offer by email one hour later.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation, minimum wage for a seasonal job

Team Member (Seasonal) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at JOANN Stores (Hillsboro, OR).

Interview

I applied to three locations at the same time, was rejected by one about two weeks later and then another three weeks later. Five or six weeks after the date I applied, I received a call to set up an interview for the next week. The questions were fairly standard, like how I dealt with a difficult situation with my coworkers and then a customer in my previous job experiences. The interviewer was nice. It lasted about twenty minutes. I was told I would hear back at the end of the week. The next morning I received an email with an offer and the directions on how to accept online along with an estimated start-date, which turned out to be a week later then estimated when I heard back the next week.

Overall, the process was slow, but since it's been like this for everything I've applied to lately, I have to assume that weeks or even months is normal to wait for any kind of response to an application.

Interview Questions

• It was unexpected to be asked which store is my favorite to shop at.   Answer Question