JW Player Platform Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at JW Player

1 Interview Review

Platform Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at JW Player (New York, NY) in June 2013.

Interview

I was contacted via by a friendly tech recruiter about a Platform/Backend Engineer position. The recruiter conducted an introductory phone prescreen that involved discussion of my background and included some Python language questions of varying difficulty.

The next step was a non-technical onsite meeting with the tech leads of the Platform and Player teams. This mostly involved discussing my background and the Platform Engineer role. Both interviewers were very nice and easy to talk to.

I was invited back for a second onsite interview, which began with a one-on-one discussion with the Director of Engineering. We discussed the technology of the platform and the development process used by the teams. The second hour-long interview was an hour-long mathematical problem solving whiteboarding session administered by two engineers. The third hour-long interview was given by two other interviewers, and it involved writing down some Python code on paper. The final hour-long technical interview was a troubleshooting session with the two tech leads whom I had met at my first visit. This session was unique and enjoyable. They had created a currency converter app in Javascript that they purposely broke, and my task was to debug the script.

My final visit involved a one-on-one meeting with the Product Manager and another with the CEO. I learned from the Product Manager about how the product and engineering teams interact throughout two-week sprints. I also took the opportunity to ask a lot of questions about the culture of the team. The CEO was down-to-earth and friendly.

Overall, I got the impression that the company is nimble and is able to act quickly on decisions. They are currently growing and expanding their technology.

The only cons of the process was that I was required to visit the office on three different occasions. I paid for my own transit for the three visits from Baltimore.

Interview Questions

• One challenging problem I faced was kind of a brain teaser. The task was to design a mathematical function that describes a seemingly simple system. It actually takes some effort to find a generalization of the operation of the system.   1 Answer

The salary was competitive, and the technology was attractive. Everyone I met at the company seemed like great people to work with. I declined because I accepted an offer from a similar company that developed a product that was a closer match to my interests and recent experience.

JW Player Response

Jul 27, 2015 – HR Director

Thanks for taking the time to post this. We appreciate it.

Please do stay in touch if anything changes in your new role!

Jillian Moulton