JW Player Senior Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at JW Player

1 Interview Review

2.0

Senior Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at JW Player.

Interview

This was interview process was strange and very frustrating.

Initial interview occurred over the phone for a front-end engineering position, specifically working on an AngularJS application. The interviewer was very pleasant, we talked about the company and my past experience and interests. So I was excited to move on to the next step.

Next I was brought in for a 3.5 hour on-site interview. I was expecting a lot of specific questions over my understanding of web technologies, especially the Angular framework. Instead I spent 3 hours doing extremely easy entry level coding questions, which I don't mind doing, but there was a problem with the interviewers.

I met with 8 different people and almost all of them had terrible attitude problems. They were outright hostile. They also seemed to be lacking some basic technical skills and communication skills. At one point they asked me to write pseudocode for the problem, and after I was halfway done they very pointedly interrupted and asked what programming language I was trying to use. They apparently didn't actually know what pseudocode was, even though they asked me to write it in pseudocode. The rest of my code was written in javascript, a very common language with easy to understand syntax (not obscure or anything). Several times I would write a very simple piece of code, like checking the length of an array, and the interviewer would stop me and shake his head saying "I just don't get it, I just don't get it". No specific question asked, nor trying to work through the problem with me. Just exasperation and anger.

At the end of one of the sessions, I was disappointed that they hadn't asked any framework specific questions so I started a conversation about some basic concepts to get a feel for their understanding of it. I wrote a very basic syntax on the board (ie, $q, which is common in Angular), and they muttered a snarky comment, "Looks like hieroglyphics." Then they stood up and walked out 20 mins early, saying how much they missed Perl.

Lastly, HR got in touch with me via the recruiter to inform me that I was declined, specifically for "not passing technical interview requirements".

Interview Questions

• Design a web application that allows users to explore a dungeon through text commands (MUD). How will you store information about the rooms in the dungeon?   1 Answer