JW Player Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

JW Player Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at JW Player

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at JW Player (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

Recruiter, hackerrank coding challenge (easy, reasonable), then phone screen with hiring manager, then another hiring manager, easy questions regarding previous experience, then on-site. First on-site session was systems design, second class design, all pretty open-ended discussion which probably even a juniour could support.

After that they gave me a coding task (tic-tac-toe winner) which was impossible to code properly in 45 minutes if you didn't memorize it beforehand. I did my best, but that was obviously a deal-breaker. The interview was cut short after that. On the bright side, was offered a sandwich.

I don't know what's the point of this task, honestly:)

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for JW Player

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at JW Player (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

The first stage is HR phone screen. The second stage is Hackerrank online assessment. The third stage is hiring manager or engineering manager phone screen. Finally, the last stage is onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• Some SQL tests and two basic coding tests: pangram and bottle caps problem.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at JW Player.

Interview

If you want to be treated like a piece of meat, you've come to the right place! I meet with 11 people in pairs of 2 (and finally a 1:1). People came in, and just started grilling me. I got virtually no sense of personality, and frankly more than half the people who interviewed me seemed disinterested. I was never given a schedule pointing out with whom I'd be meeting, or when I'd be meeting them. There were two separate times where I was waiting so long that I took out my laptop and started doing work.
    Pros: They offered to buy me lunch, and had a nice snack bucket ready for me.

Interview Questions

• There were 6 separate sessions:
      A class design question.
      An algo question (find winner of tic tac toe game).
      A question about testing strategies.
      A systems design question.
      A meeting with two PMs who had nothing to say about the product.
      Finally, a meeting with an engineer leader.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at JW Player (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

The interview process was quite long. HR Phone Screen, Hacker rank, Team Lead Phone Screen, onsite interviews (5 interviews), Phone screen with CEO.

When you're onsite you meet different members from different teams evaluating you on different areas. You will speak with both engineers and product managers (sometimes SVP/C-level managers) so brush up on behaviorals as well as data structures & algorithms.

Interview Questions

• focused on data structures & algorithms, systems design, core software engineering skills, and cultural fit   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at JW Player (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

A day full of several interviews throughout the day. Was a mixup with lunch, which I had to point out when it looked like it wasn't included in the schedule. Applied for a specific role but ended up being considered for multiple roles, with the option to give feedback on which would be the best fit.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at JW Player.

Interview

They sent me this email literally 2 hours before my on-site interview:

"We sincerely apologize with regard to the last minute information but your interview for this afternoon has been canceled. We had a candidate in later stages of the interview process who accepted an offer over the weekend."

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at JW Player (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied online, got response from HR. HR was pretty good with scheduling all rounds, after the 1st technical phone call was an online challenge with some SQL and algorithms. Next step On site.
    They have 2 people interview you, in every round, round 1 - I was clueless about this Design problem, one of the interviewers couldn't stop yawning, I was thinking c'mon man, get some coffee, its only 20 meters away. Somehow got over that 1st hour, 2nd round was some more design stuff, and I found it fun to work through that problem. 3rd round was a coding exercise and given 30 mins, that was impossible to do in C++ on time, without the support of high level libraries, I tried but failed. Throughout this process, I felt like they dont know anything about me, and especially the first round was a disaster. They ask nothing about me or my experience, I think they dint even read my resume ...

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at JW Player (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

HR Phone Screen. Manager Phone Screen. In person interview with Members of the team. In person interview with CTO and CEO. The interviews with the team members were different. One team member did skills and tools. Another covered my past work experience. And another covered ideas about different projects they're working on.
    The C level interviews were largely for cultural fit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

The whole interview process was a waste of time mostly due to bad scheduling on HR's side. Also it seems they are not very clear on their vision for the company. It could have been much better if they were less disorganized and communicated more within themselves since people are nice and the company atmosphere is friendly. Unfortunately, in the end it does not matter.

Interview Questions

• They use hackerrank for phone screen. In the 1:1, it was one simple programming question, one question that assesses your class understanding, and one debugging question.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Godalming, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at JW Player (Godalming, England (UK)) in November 2015.

Interview

The company is utterly clueless. They approached me for the role of software engineer knowing full well I lived in the UK and would require visa sponsorship. In my very first correspondence I quizzed them on this and highlighted my concerns. I proceeded through the interview process for a couple of weeks, giving up my valuable time. I first spoke to the new CTO, Brent Wood. He seemed nice enough and very straight to the point, but seemed to lack basic technical depth regarding their own product suite and the limitations of platforms on which their player is designed to deliver on to.

I went on to talk to two more engineers - this was an informative chat with more detail on the company and direction and a little about what I had been up to. Finally I was asked to compete a technical test. This was very straight forward indeed. The only thing challenging was fighting with copy and paste on HackerRank.

I then had to chase the head of HR Jillian for a couple of days. She finally got back to me and tried to setup the next stage - getting me out to New York for a day of interviews. This meant two days holiday for me so I wanted to make absolutely sure about compensation, relocation, visas and other benefits.. It's a big move and a huge amount of time to give up for an interview. 4 days later I hear back that they can't sponsor my visa. The statement I made at the very beginning. I find it terrifying a company of this size can make such a huge glaring error and waste so much of my time.

One good thing has come of this, I have well and truly been put off talking to any American companies!

Interview Questions

• Asked to write a simple piece of code to test a string to determine a Pangram   Answer Question
    • Write a simple function for counting beers from beer caps.   Answer Question