Jackson National Life Programmer Trainee Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Jackson National Life Programmer Trainee Interview Questions

2.0

Programmer Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Jackson National Life (Lansing, MI) in April 2013.

Interview

I was asked to take an online assessment at home, then after "passing" I was asked to take the same assessment at their office (so they could confirm I wasn't cheating or something). A week or so later, I was asked to come in for an interview and a second interview was scheduled. The day before my second interview, I received a call to cancel because they decided to only accept people with IT degrees (though the posting specifically said this was not necessary).

Interview Questions

• Why do I want the programmer trainee position?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Jackson National Life

Programmer Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jackson National Life (Lansing, MI) in August 2010.

Interview

I saw an article on the JNL Programmer Trainee program, and jumped on the application. All that was required was a bachelor's degree, and it seemed like a great way to make a career change. I filled out the application and was contacted by a JNL rep, who gave me a quick 10-minute phone interview. I passed that, and was then told I had to take a couple online assessments (basic math stuff) and if passed, would be contacted for further steps.

I passed, and was then asked to drive to their HQ to take a couple more similar tests on-site. This was a two hour drive round trip for me so I had to leave my current job early that day, but I jumped on it hoping things were going well, and liking everything I'd heard about the trainee program.

Got to the HQ about 10 minutes early dressed for an interview, and was greeted by a receptionist. I was told to join the others in the lobby who were waiting for testing; I don't think all were for the trainee program, it seemed like a lot of different testing was going on at once. We were shuffled into a room and in front of a computer with modules set up. I knew I had two tests to take, and started the first. Half-way through, the computer froze up and wouldn't let me submit my answers. I used the phone (they told us to call if we had any issues) and someone came down.

That is when it got weird - a woman came into the room and when I started to explain the computer froze, she said "okay, you're done." I was like....what? I didn't even get to finish this test, and I know there's a second...I'm not done. And she repeated no, you're done, and started shuffling me out of the room. I was in complete jaw-dropped shock which eventually turned into compressed anger when I realized what had happened as we walked down the hall back to the front. She thanked me and I walked out.

I understand that sometimes they have those tests to just weed people out they don't want for other reasons; but I think they could have done that at an earlier point in the interview process. For them to not even let me complete the tests I drove an hour there & hour back to complete, I thought was very rude and inconsiderate of my time. At least let me think it was me failing a test that was why I didn't get into the program - instead, I still don't know why they shuffled me out like that.

After all of the good things I'd heard about people and read on here about how great JNL is, that image of them immediately went down the toilet with this experience.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unusual, all very typical interview questions. Why do you want to work for us? Etc.   Answer Question