Jacobs Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 10, 2017

2.6

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Jacobs (Tampa, FL).

Interview

They interviewed me over the phone asking questions specific to their project, which was a government contract. I was to be the software expert comparing two software packages that were used by different branches of the armed forced to do the same thing. Next, they invited me down and I interviewed with the project manager and supervisor. We interviewed in the board room. After that they made me the offer and went into details. They were both very straight forward and I guess I was able to answer all of their questions.

Interview Questions

• They asked how good I was figuring out software packages.   2 Answers

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Jacobs (Saint Louis, MO) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview last around an hour. I interviewed with two engineers. Their interview process was average and forgettable. They did not impress me during the interview. I had to ask most all of the questions. They look at GPA above all else.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Jacobs (Bellevue, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

I had been in contact with Jacobs Engineering for 6-9 months prior to having an in person interview in their Bellevue Washington Office. It had been communicated to me through these conversations prior to travelling to Washington, that they were very interested in me but needed to make sure that what I was looking for in terms of career type, compensation, etc. would be possible so as to not waste either parties time. In January 2017 I was asked to come out to Seattle, a trip which I paid 100% of the costs for, to meet in person and discuss opportunities which they were interested in me for. I agreed to come out to Seattle, a trip that required around $750 in flights and rental cars, as well as 2 days of personal time off from my current employer. The whole experience was incredibly unorganized to the point that I wasn't even given concrete times to interview until 8:00pm the night before my interview. They had also set up another interview for me, in which I was given 1 hour notice to get to the opposite side of the greater Seattle metro area for a lunch meeting with a project manager.

The Bellevue interview was an incredible waste of my time. The first question asked was "What do you even want to do at Jacobs?", which my few answers were quickly beat down and compared to how the interviewer had way more experience than I did, and that my experience in those areas isn't relevant. As the interview went on, I was informed multiple times within the first 5-10 minutes that I don't have any experience they are interested in, and that I really don't fit the type of applicant they would consider for employment. I have a professional engineering license with 6 years of industry experience, and after a 60-90 minute interview was informed that they could maybe bring me in as a junior project inspector, which is essentially a new graduate position, and in my opinion a professional slap in the face. I was essentially only look for a Project Engineer type position, which with my licensing / experience is an appropriate level within an organization to target.

I have no problem being told that a company is not interested in me for employment, but the issue I have with Jacobs is that they directly informed me that they didn't want to waste my time, and that is exactly what they did. To ask me to fly out to Seattle, on my own dime, to just tell me that I am not what they are looking for is incredibly unprofessional. That conversation could be handled over a phone call, or honestly a rejection email. This interview cost me around $1500 including travel expenses and lost time costs.

Interview Questions

• What do you even want to do for Jacobs?   1 Answer

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jacobs (Baltimore, MD).

Interview

Met with Project Manager to go over qualifications and strengths that I could bring to the team. Also went over the goals of the project team and what I could possibly be doing

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Jacobs (Dallas, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

This was a very smooth and professional interview process from start to finish. There is a fresh innovative feel as you walk in and everyone seems engaged in their work.

Interview Questions

Interview

about an hour... they needed people quickly, so it was a set of questions geared toward the job to see what experience would apply to the project. The management was easy going, and knowledgeable enough to be able to assess capability with the questions. They also wanted to know what technology used in the past to facilitate managing projects, and said what processes they used.

Interview Questions

• have you had both field and office experience?
      how do you deal with difficult people?   Answer Question

Transportation Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Jacobs (Atlanta, GA) in November 2016.

Interview

The first interview was via Skype, and lasted about an hour. The panel consisted of my immediate supervisor, and section supervisor. They asked me to describe myself; education background, professional experience. They asked me questions related to my resume, about the projects I've worked on. They were incredibly interested in how I view the industry, and where I think it is going.

For the second interview I went to their office, and they took me out to lunch. During this interview they wanted to get to know me; my interests both professional and personal. They described the city and the types of projects they work on, and where they want to take their section in the future. On returning to the office, they introduced me to future collegues, and other people in other departments.

Interview Questions

• What is your professional experience? How do you view the industry? What projects have you worked on, and what have you learned in the process? How do you approach time management?   Answer Question

Civil Engineer Design Co-op Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Jacobs in November 2016.

Interview

There was an initial phone screening and the recruiter was super friendly and personable. She wanted to gauge my interest and find out how much I knew about the position. I wasn't too well prepared for the interview but overall it was a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• What are some responsibilities for your current position?   Answer Question

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Jacobs in October 2016.

Interview

I had only one interview with a board of four engineers within the department. There was also one person from HR. Everyone had a copy of my resume and the question sheet. Each person took turns asking questions. During my responses, everyone took notes on them. Overall, I felt pretty comfortable throughout the interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were under pressure and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question
    • What experience do you have with testing and data interpretation?   Answer Question
    • From a scale of 1-10, how experienced are you with engineering software and programs. I.e Matlab, Siemens NX, Solid Works, Lab View   Answer Question
    • How well do you work in groups? What role do you play in groups?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for us? What made you want to go into the engineering field?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Because this position was a co-op, there was not much or any negotiation.

Mission Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Jacobs (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Talked to a college recruiter that came during a career fair. Briefly talked to him and had a phone interview set up. After the phone interview, about a week passed and was offered the job.