Jacobs Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Jacobs Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions

2.3

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Jacobs in August 2016.

Interview

Initially, I applied online and was contacted two days later about coming in for an interview. I wasn't in town at the time so I set up a phone interview instead. This interview was with the hiring manager and was quite pleasant. He asked me to come in for an office tour and personality-test based interview. I paid my own way to fly in since I was out of state and had really good vibes from the manager and overall what my role would be. I met with two managers a couple weeks later and overall had a very pleasant experience with them. I felt VERY confident about receiving an offer.

Two weeks went by without a peep. They told me I would hear back from them within two weeks, so I remained patient. 2 weeks and 1 day later I sent a follow up email asking where they were in the interview process. I did not receive a response.

A week later, I emailed the recruiter asking what their travel reimbursement policy was for interviewees. She asked the hiring manager (the one who interviewed me) and he said nope, sorry. So he didn't have the courtesy to respond to my email or offer to fly me out. The first one is what really irritated me though.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Jacobs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jacobs (Boston, MA) in June 2016.

Interview

Started out with some small talk with the director of operations, engineering principal manager, and a mechanical engineer. Typical easy interview questions and asked about positions on my resume. Felt really confident about getting an offer, especially after having the whole hiring process voluntarily explained to me and getting a tour of the office. Two weeks later they hit me with the rejection email. I've heard this is their M.O. from former classmates.

Interview Questions

• Are you looking for a job that heavily utilizes software?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Jacobs (Cambridge, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

Informal job interview, met at a restaurant over dinner and talked. Mostly designed for a culture/personality fit check. We discussed the position, the office work looking forward, and how my skills fit in. Also discussed other job goals and roles in the future.

Interview Questions

• Why are you leaving your old company? What are you looking to do in the future? Where do you see yourself in five years?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Jacobs (Arlington, VA).

Interview

One phone interview and one in-person interview. Standard questions were asked and I was briefly introduced to the team.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult question was likely how would I see myself growing in this position.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't much room to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Ridge, TN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jacobs (Oak Ridge, TN) in October 2012.

Interview

They asked about my experience level. They wanted descriptions of projects I had worked on in the past: locations of projects, descriptions of deliverables given during projects, the level of detail required in previous projects, etc... They were very interested in what types of computer programs I was familiar using and how well I could do technical writing. They wanted to know if I could travel and what percentage of the year I could be out of town.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Ridge, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Jacobs (Oak Ridge, TN) in October 2012.

Interview

They asked me about previous positions I held and why I considered leaving my current company. They were very interested in past projects I had worked on and on how much detail I had put forth on previous projects. They asked me to name what types of computer programs I was familiar with. They were very interested in how much time I could spend traveling.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to state what my greatest weaknesses were.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jacobs (Houston, TX) in November 2011.

Interview

I was contacted the prior week to fly in and be put in a hotel the previous night for an interview the next morning. Was not told for what positions specifically. I interviewed with 8 different project leads for 2 separate positions for 4 hours. One position was for a piping engineer and one as a rotating equipment engineer. Very casual interview to start, it was more of a 'get to know me" type interview to base my fit in the company I expected. 30 minutes per person after the initial meeting with HR where I was asked the normal "why I would be a good fit", "what do you want out of this job" etc. . I shared my experience and knowledge in the respective fields and was then informed as to my starting responsibilities had I been given an offer to join them. I was questioned numerous times as to what I wanted to end up being as an engineer, which I responded was yet to be written. It was a pleasant interview all around and not very demanding from a specific engineering knowledge, sort of way.

Interview Questions

• What do you expect working under a team of engineers?   1 Answer

I was offered from another company I had been interested in.

Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Jacobs (Huntsville, AL) in July 2009.

Interview

It was initially a co-op job that transitioned to full time. I had initially applied through my university intern and co-op office, which sent resume packages to the employer. I was contacted by phone very late, only a month before the job was to start, and conducted first a brief informational interview about the job and specifics to gauge interest and later a more detailed phone interview, both with the manager would would be my supervisor. The interviews were restricted to phone because of the inconvenience of how far I lived from the job. Apparently the company had procrastinated in hiring and they were desperate for someone who was still available. I was offered the job even though my qualifications were not a particularly good fit for the position.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a large number of questions about familiarity with certain software or processes, many which were industry specific or that I had never heard of before.   1 Answer

Negotiation

When I transitioned to full time the economy was not that great, I was made a take it or leave it offer (at a relatively low amount) and they hinted that they could get someone else to take the job for this amount if I declined. They refused to budge on salary but after some polite persistence I was able to secure a small moving allowance.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Jacobs.

Interview

The Whole process Started with an aptitude test followed by a technical test. After elimination based on these scores, the second stage, Group discussion was held. Some more people were removed and he short listed were taken for Personal interview. There were 4 interview taking places simultaneously by 4 different people. Some had very difficult technical questions but were selected, whereas others had easier questions and not necessarily selected.

Interview Questions

• Everything on your C.V. was asked in detail. Also your technical strength on subjects like TOM, SOM, Design were tested.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Jacobs in November 2010.

Interview

The interview process went very smoothly. First I received a phone call and they gave my a preliminary phone interview, which consisted of basic questions such as: are you willing to travel?, how much do you expect to make?, and what do you know about our company?. At the end of the phone interview, I was asked to attend a second interview at their office.

At the second interview I met with three engineering managers. They were very pleasant and professional and they asked me general questions such as: why did you choose to go into engineering?, what can you tell me about your previous work experience?, and can you tell me about a time that you had a conflict with another member of your team and how did you handle the situation?. After the question period was over, they asked me if I had any questions. At the end, they told me that they would let me know the following day. The next morning I received an offer.