James Hardie Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 7, 2017

3.2

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at James Hardie (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview process took 3 weeks. First a phone interview then two rounds of interviews. The first was with the team members and the second interview was with the TA manager. However, they included two IQ tests. I agree with another reviewer who said what does IQ testing have to do with HR. That method of testing is very old school and really can't measure a person's success on the job. According to the job description my skills matched and the recruiter even said if it was up to her she would hire me. Overall looking the interview reviews and company reviews i can now understand that i didn't match their culture. The caliper personality test will indicate if you are a culture fit. It was a really bummer because I loved the team. I rated the interview difficult because it was hard to tell about the culture fit.

Interview Questions

• Did your manager ask you to create your process manuals?   Answer Question

Brand Ambassador Interview

Interview

The interview was quick.
    Because I don't have a degree the interview was stopped.
    I have over 20 years in the building material industry and I was turned away.
    I have forgotten more than anyone who has their degree.
    Instead of concentrating on the degree talk to the person and find out why they don't have one.
    Your company missed out of the best representative your company could ever have!

Multi Family Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at James Hardie (New York, NY).

Interview

2 phone interviews with managers and 1 interview with regional manager. They asked difficult questions to try see how you would handle them, just stay calm and be honest and you will be fine.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at James Hardie (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I interviewed with James Hardie. Like other reviews my process was extremely lengthy. First was an hour phone screen with HR, then an intelligence test, then hour call with hiring manager, then another personality/intelligence test, then in-person 2-hour interview with 4 people. I was unimpressed with the organization in that first, it became known to me during the interview that the company is very male driven (one person even stated over 90% males make up workforce), second when I asked why I should come join Hardie, the answer given was "There are a lot of smart people here and we like to win." Came off extremely arrogant and unwelcoming...guess what, I'm smart too and like to win, but I wouldn't boast that has my strengths to an employer. Last, people in the interview also spoke to their high turnover. Again, I understand why they addressed it, but hearing that it was that high was definitely cause for concern. The people were nice though and they have great product which made me want to like them. The day after the interview I received a voicemail stating the team had all very positive feedback and liked my personality but would not be moving me forward. A little more feedback would have been nice considering you said it was all positive and I wasn't moving forward. I assumed it was because I was not a male or they felt I could not thrive in that culture of all males. Just my assumption.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your background?
      Why James Hardie?
      Process for creating a marketing strategy?
      How long should a marketing strategy take to create?
      What was the most creative project you worked on?
      Answer Question

Rotation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleburne, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at James Hardie (Cleburne, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

First it will be a wonderlic tests, after that you will have a phone screen with a HR member, the next step of the process is a video taped interview and lastly they invite you to a plant visit.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about james hardie?   1 Answer

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waxahachie, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at James Hardie (Waxahachie, TX).

Interview

Extensive process of a phone interview with company recruiter, then wonderlic test, then phone interview with the hiring manager, if it is for a more experienced position there are probably more steps, then an on-site interview. The first interview was very general HR question related interview, the phone interview was a get to know you and see how you interact. There were some questions in regards to experience, most notably about my senior design project which happened 3+ years ago which I don't remember execution details. The on-site interview consisted of 2 interviews with 2 managers in each and a plant walk through. Again, questions came up about my senior design project. I don't know why that was so much more interesting than my actual experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me your senior design project and how your group accomplished it?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time you have had to adjust when the plan completely changes?   1 Answer
    • How do you handle conflict? How do you deal with stress?   1 Answer

College Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at James Hardie in September 2016.

Interview

Overall not the best interviewing with them. First I went through 3 phone screenings, then I took two assessments along with answering different questions. The phone screenings went really well and I did enjoy who I talked to. Once I made it through that, I was asked to come in for the final in-person interview which was a 3 hour long process. After having that many phone screenings and tests, I thought 3 hours was a bit ridiculous for the position. I talked to 6 different employees that grilled me with questions. The only thing that I was pretty disappointed about was how one employee kept saying that even though the job description says it's an entry level position, it's really not. Then why did you even bother to bring me in when you clearly know I am right out of college and don't have a ton of experience??? They completely wasted hours and hours of my time.

Interview Questions

• Out of the last 4 people you just interviewed with, who did you connect with and who didn't you connect with? Why didn't you connect with that person?   Answer Question
    • Do you think your smart? Why do you think that?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at James Hardie (Atlanta, GA) in August 2016.

Interview

If you are being recruited by anyone for Thai company please be aware that you are going to be thrown around for the length of the interview process.

The recruiter I worked with flat out lied to me, so did the "hiring manager" I spoke to on my second phone interview. They lied about questions that were directly related to what I would be doing on the job and how much I would be compensated for it- some pretty important stuff to know before you move forward.

Long story short, they flew me out to Atlanta for "finals" selling me on the company and the position and what it was offering. i though the interview went well, however I tend to interview well and I have a background in psychology - and I can assure you these are thick minded people who don't have much intelligence at their disposal- whether that is a personal problem of theirs or it's a culture bred within the company, I'm not sure but it's certainly evident.

After the interview, I got a call from the recruiter offering me the position but at a lower salary and no company car or bonus. Of course, I would have to go on one of their "ridealongs" (unpaid) before they still were able to determine whether I was a "right fit". This is where I got aggressive with recruiter and basically said it was a joke and that I don't appreciate being lied to or deceived for the purposes of filling a spot. To no surprise, he sent me a personal and nasty text message demeaning me and making me feel as though I needed to kiss his feet just for having been given the opportunity.

If you are young and need experience, this could be a good company for you. If you have job experience and are looking for a new start ot career, STAY AWAY from James Hardie Sales, they will try to sell you on the company and in my experience that's an immediate red flag.

Hope this was helpful for all you interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Would you rather be the worst player on a winning team or the best player on a losing team? - Typical question that is designed to put you under pressure   Answer Question

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at James Hardie (Chicago, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

The overall interview process was somewhat painful considering I went through two rounds of phone screens, took 2 personality assessments, and had a group face to face interview. The most painful part of this interview is that there seemed to be no urgency (55 days to get face to face) or even courtesy on the interviewers or company in general to obtain high talent at their company. The group was very blasé. First they asked me to come in early since they forgot it was a holiday weekend so I already felt like they were trying to rush me out the door, Then they gave me the wrong address to the building. Once there the lead interviewer apologized for not being appropriately dressed. Not a great start. The questions asked were appropriate but did not in any way entice me to come work for their company. After the interview I was given my 2nd personality assessment (not sure how properly identifying number sequence patterns can demonstrate I'm a good fit for the HR role) and then the recruiter never followed up with final questions, just showed me the door. Needless to say I was underwhelmed by this company and would not recommend interviewing there.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your career development/professional development plans?   1 Answer

Senior Pricing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at James Hardie (Chicago, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

I really wanted to like James Hardie. Every step along the way, the recruiter, hiring manager and others on the panel really try to make sure you understand their culture and how it's different and better than any other company's culture. After this process I am convinced that James Hardie tells themselves and others how great they are, only to mask the fact that there's a reason why they shift their focus every few months: this company is a mess.

I first spoke with a recruiter for 30+ minutes who took it upon herself to grill me in ways a phone screening has never been performed before. And I didn't view that as a red flag at the time. I actually viewed this as a plus. "Wow these guys really want to be sure to have the right person for the role!" Yet, she continually asked the same question in multiple ways, hoping for a different answer. At the end of the interview, she admitted that I was a great culture fit for James Hardie, which only increased my desire to continue in the process, despite my initial thoughts.

From there, I had a one-hour+ meeting with the hiring manager, over the phone. It was clear in this conversation that JH doesn't have a focus on the Pricing discipline. Pricing currently sits with Finance and it's been passed around to others within the organization. While I had hoped it was more strategic, given it's the highest level of Pricing in the org, it was described as a manager of hourly workers who process rebates. Despite this, I really enjoyed my conversation with the hiring manager.

After this, I was asked to complete a personality test and a Wonderlic test. Both were time-consuming, but relatively easy. This isn't a big issue with me.

Finally, I was asked to come in and meet JH personally, for 3 hours. 3. Hours. After nearly 2 hours on the phone, another 90 minutes in competency tests, I am being asked to meet with 3 new people, the hiring manager, and HR. Oh, and also do the Wonderlic for the second time - this time in person, because, they said "folks do better in person, let's give you a chance to improve!"

It took nearly 2 weeks to get this in-person scheduled. Once scheduled, I had the chance to connect with the hiring manager, who gave me some intel on the folks with whom I've been meeting. Really thought that was a great precursor to finally meeting with JH.

Once at JH, and mind you, I was asked to come in at 7am because of how busy these folks are at JH, I was to meet with the hiring manager, his manager (Finance VP), CMO and Controller. Every question I was asked was around what I would do to help fix their Pricing organization - nothing really on my background. As I'd bring up examples of what I've done in similar situations, it was really met with criticism because that's not the way JH does it. While the company was keen to bring in new resources to help in this area, they were more concerned with bringing in someone who fits their culture. It was a very frustrating meeting, as I was told to prepare to come with real-life examples to explain my background, yet I was continually grilled on "why didn't you do things the JH way?" even though I don't even fully understand what that means yet.

After meeting with the humans at JH, I waited 30 more minutes for someone to find me to take the Wonderlic test again. Oh - someone in HR forgot about me because she forgot to set a calendar invite! This is going great, right?

I finally hear back from JH around 10 days later, after exchanging calls with the recruiter. Not only did I not get a further interview with the President and CFO (as I was told the next steps would be), I didn't get feedback on my interview, and I was told the role was being placed on hold, to be revisited again "soon" and they'd be in touch.

Frustration isn't the word to even describe this whole process. I invested a lot of time in preparing, discussing and learning about JH. I understand they invested time in me and others, and perhaps it's also frustrating to reach this point - but to put someone through a borderline-grueling process is completely unprofessional. But I suppose I'd hear "well, that's the James Hardie culture!" and that's great if that's the facade you'd like to keep. But at the end of the day, it reaffirmed my initial thoughts that this company is not a fit for me.

Interview Questions

• I was asked many questions, most of them having nothing to do with an actual Pricing role.   1 Answer