James Hardie Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

Sort:

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at James Hardie (Chicago, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter less than 24 hours after submitting online resume. Recruiter held an almost hour and a half phone interview. Following that was an hour conversation with the hiring manager. Next was an invitation to interview in person contingent upon passing a personality test and Wonderlic test. Personality test was fairly easy as was Wonderlice (proctored online via webcam). I was then flown into Chicago for an in person interview a week or two later. The in person interview consisted of two group sessions.

The attitude of the hiring manager and others on the interview panel was somewhat rude and blase, some of them were checking their phones constantly and were dressed inappropriately. Being in sales I don't take this personally, perhaps it is even a tactic to eliminate candidates that fluster easily. I ended up declining the offer for a better position but their attitudes still gave me pause, do they act this way in front of their customers as well?

Interview Questions

• Rank in the order of importance which accounts to call on first based on volume and share (3x3 matrix)   1 Answer

I declined for a much better offer and partially due to uncertainty of their genuineness.

College Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at James Hardie in September 2016.

Interview

Overall not the best interviewing with them. First I went through 3 phone screenings, then I took two assessments along with answering different questions. The phone screenings went really well and I did enjoy who I talked to. Once I made it through that, I was asked to come in for the final in-person interview which was a 3 hour long process. After having that many phone screenings and tests, I thought 3 hours was a bit ridiculous for the position. I talked to 6 different employees that grilled me with questions. The only thing that I was pretty disappointed about was how one employee kept saying that even though the job description says it's an entry level position, it's really not. Then why did you even bother to bring me in when you clearly know I am right out of college and don't have a ton of experience??? They completely wasted hours and hours of my time.

Interview Questions

• Out of the last 4 people you just interviewed with, who did you connect with and who didn't you connect with? Why didn't you connect with that person?   Answer Question
    • Do you think your smart? Why do you think that?   Answer Question

Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pulaski, VA

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at James Hardie (Pulaski, VA) in December 2010.

Interview

Was laid back, lots of questions about career choices and staying there. Talk of skill sets and met with several Key employees. Was in the interview for over 2 hours. However, no offer was made.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 10 years?   1 Answer
    • Would you return to your previous job if ..X or Y changed?   1 Answer

Installation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at James Hardie (Raleigh, NC) in May 2011.

Interview

Phone interview first, lasted about 30 minutes describing job and culture at James Hardie. Basic behavioral questions, ability to work in entrepreneurial environment. Scheduled follow up interview locally with other management. Interview at hotel, got a phone call early to push interview back 30 minutes due to late arrival of second interviewer. Arrived 10 mins early, there was another person interviewing (so they pushed me off to fit someone else in, not late flight). Basic interview questions, interviewer expects you to control their attention as you would if meeting with client. Interviewer was distracted with another issue, this may have been intentional to see how you react to presenting to someone who isn't 100% focused on you as could be the case in day to day activities in the job. Position ended up not being a good fit to my experience and personality

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at James Hardie (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

Process was very professional, organized and throrough from start to finish. After 2 phone interviews and in anticipation of in-person interviews, I completed 3 online assessments. I subsequently spent a day in the office interviewing with the management team, a day in the field to gain deeper understanding of JH capabilities, culture and values, dinner, breakfast and a final meeting with hiring manager. Format was 3:1, 2:1 and 1:1 throughout. The professionalism of the interview process certainly added to the appeal of JH.

Market Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at James Hardie (Chicago, IL) in August 2010.

Interview

Contacted by head hunter, phone interview with sales manager for position, "Combine" interview with 12 different managers in 4 different group settings

Negotiation

Take it or leave it

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at James Hardie (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I interviewed with James Hardie. Like other reviews my process was extremely lengthy. First was an hour phone screen with HR, then an intelligence test, then hour call with hiring manager, then another personality/intelligence test, then in-person 2-hour interview with 4 people. I was unimpressed with the organization in that first, it became known to me during the interview that the company is very male driven (one person even stated over 90% males make up workforce), second when I asked why I should come join Hardie, the answer given was "There are a lot of smart people here and we like to win." Came off extremely arrogant and unwelcoming...guess what, I'm smart too and like to win, but I wouldn't boast that has my strengths to an employer. Last, people in the interview also spoke to their high turnover. Again, I understand why they addressed it, but hearing that it was that high was definitely cause for concern. The people were nice though and they have great product which made me want to like them. The day after the interview I received a voicemail stating the team had all very positive feedback and liked my personality but would not be moving me forward. A little more feedback would have been nice considering you said it was all positive and I wasn't moving forward. I assumed it was because I was not a male or they felt I could not thrive in that culture of all males. Just my assumption.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your background?
      Why James Hardie?
      Process for creating a marketing strategy?
      How long should a marketing strategy take to create?
      What was the most creative project you worked on?   Answer Question

MBA Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at James Hardie in January 2014.

Interview

On campus recruiting interview then case interview at their offices in Chicago

Interview Questions

• The case was pretty good, nothing too out of the ordinary   Answer Question

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at James Hardie.

Interview

I already worked for them in a different role, so there wasn't much to say. My initial interview for the first position was pretty easy and fair though.

Negotiation

No negotiation. They did lie though and say that "no rep was paid that much" but later I found out that was not the case.

Account Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at James Hardie (Columbus, GA).

Interview

Personality and intellectual screening tests conducted prior (DiSC and Wonderlic) to face to face interview. Good cop, bad cop set up for face to face session. Called a week later with offer.

Interview Questions

• How do we know you're not going to just come in here and work hard? How do we know you're not just going to come in here and shoot from the hip?   1 Answer

Negotiation

We went back and forth one round and I squeezed out another $3K.