James Hardie Interview Questions | Glassdoor

James Hardie Interview Questions

Updated Sep 30, 2017

3.2

Electrical Controls Engineer Interview

Interview

I was contacted by HR and was scheduled for a telephone interview. I was prepared and ready for a call. The first thing the interviewer says after introducing himself was, "You applied for the shift electrician position right?". My answer was "No". I applied to for two positions with them, one was Controls and the other was Electrical Supervisor. They then proceeded to try and convince me that "Shift Electrician" on rotating 12 hour shifts was a stepping stone to an engineering role with their company. They gave the impression of being under educated. Never mind that I have a AAS and a BS in engineering and nearly a decade of experience, yes please give me a job mopping floors. This was a complete waste of my time and a con. I ended the call myself.

Interview Questions

• "You applied for the shift electrician position right?"   2 Answers

Safety Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at James Hardie (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I was found using an outside recruiter. First, I had a phone interview (Caller was 30 minutes late). Second, I flew out to one of the sites for an interview. I was told they would make a decision by next Monday. One month later and nothing. I luckily accepted another job one week later and didn't have to wait for James Hardie to make a decision. There seems to be a lot of unqualified employees in senior management positions based on the interview questions and process.

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at James Hardie (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview process took 3 weeks. First a phone interview then two rounds of interviews. The first was with the team members and the second interview was with the TA manager. However, they included two IQ tests. I agree with another reviewer who said what does IQ testing have to do with HR. That method of testing is very old school and really can't measure a person's success on the job. According to the job description my skills matched and the recruiter even said if it was up to her she would hire me. Overall looking the interview reviews and company reviews i can now understand that i didn't match their culture. The caliper personality test will indicate if you are a culture fit. It was a really bummer because I loved the team. I rated the interview difficult because it was hard to tell about the culture fit.

Interview Questions

• Did your manager ask you to create your process manuals?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at James Hardie (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by recruiter and after an initial phone interview with them, had a phone interview with the hiring manager about a week later. During that time it was also asked that I take both a Wonderlic and Caliper assessment prior to the in-person interview with the hiring manager.

Overall, it seemed as though there was a disconnect on job expectations from what was discussed over the phone with the recruiter/hiring manager vs. what was discussed during the in-person. The message over the phone was that there were separate departments responsible for certain elements which were then discussed as being something I would be responsible for during the in-person.

In addition, the hiring manager set the Wonderlic and Caliper scores right between us when the interview started and then did not mention them for the rest of the meeting. At the end when the floor opened for questions, I asked how I did on both tests and the manager replied that I had failed. When I asked about the weak areas which I didn't do well on, he replied it was due to the tests being calibrated for someone who would be a sales director(?) Seeing a how that was certainly not the job I was applying for, I left wondering why the results were brought into the room in the first place as well as why someone would say I failed when in reality they had set up the tests incorrectly from the beginning. The interaction left a bad taste.

Interview Questions

• The hiring manager asked several very specific marketing strategy questions. Actually thought they were a great way for the manager to assess an applicant, in addition to providing a candidate deeper insight as to what they were looking for in the position and if that is something they would want.   Answer Question

R&D Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at James Hardie (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter after a couple of weeks. She scheduled a phone screen via email.

Overall, I just wish the recruiter was a little more cheerful and friendly. The only negative about the interview was not that I was rejected, but a feedback on the same would be appreciated.

Interview Questions

• The phone screen was very non-technical (As my profile was very technical and centered around core research and development, I am not sure if what I said made any sense to the recruiter, so I tried to keep my answers very general by not getting into the technical details )
      I was asked the usual routine questions.. Tell me about yourself, walk me through your Resume, Explain each role in detail, which project really stood out to you and where do you see yourself in 5 years from now.   Answer Question

Engineer Development Program Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at James Hardie in February 2017.

Interview

I applied in November, interviewed in February. There was a phone interview, followed by a Wonderlic test, followed by a one-sided video interview. The video interview was pre-recorded, and I was not offered an opportunity to introduce myself.

Brand Ambassador Interview

Interview

The interview was quick.
    Because I don't have a degree the interview was stopped.
    I have over 20 years in the building material industry and I was turned away.
    I have forgotten more than anyone who has their degree.
    Instead of concentrating on the degree talk to the person and find out why they don't have one.
    Your company missed out of the best representative your company could ever have!

Multi Family Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at James Hardie (New York, NY).

Interview

2 phone interviews with managers and 1 interview with regional manager. They asked difficult questions to try see how you would handle them, just stay calm and be honest and you will be fine.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at James Hardie (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I interviewed with James Hardie. Like other reviews my process was extremely lengthy. First was an hour phone screen with HR, then an intelligence test, then hour call with hiring manager, then another personality/intelligence test, then in-person 2-hour interview with 4 people. I was unimpressed with the organization in that first, it became known to me during the interview that the company is very male driven (one person even stated over 90% males make up workforce), second when I asked why I should come join Hardie, the answer given was "There are a lot of smart people here and we like to win." Came off extremely arrogant and unwelcoming...guess what, I'm smart too and like to win, but I wouldn't boast that has my strengths to an employer. Last, people in the interview also spoke to their high turnover. Again, I understand why they addressed it, but hearing that it was that high was definitely cause for concern. The people were nice though and they have great product which made me want to like them. The day after the interview I received a voicemail stating the team had all very positive feedback and liked my personality but would not be moving me forward. A little more feedback would have been nice considering you said it was all positive and I wasn't moving forward. I assumed it was because I was not a male or they felt I could not thrive in that culture of all males. Just my assumption.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your background?
      Why James Hardie?
      Process for creating a marketing strategy?
      How long should a marketing strategy take to create?
      What was the most creative project you worked on?   Answer Question

Rotation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleburne, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at James Hardie (Cleburne, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

First it will be a wonderlic tests, after that you will have a phone screen with a HR member, the next step of the process is a video taped interview and lastly they invite you to a plant visit.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about james hardie?   1 Answer