Jane Street Assistant Trader Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Jane Street Assistant Trader Interview Questions

Interviews at Jane Street

3.9

Assistant Trader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Jane Street in January 2013.

Interview

quanty only

Interview Questions

• Roll an n-sided die. You can get paid the outcome or pay 1/n dollars to re-roll. how much would you pay to play, and how much would you sell the game for? (rough numbers). five minutes for complete answer.   9 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Jane Street

Assistant Trader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Interviews are a series of rounds consisting solely of math/probability questions. Dress is informal.

Interview Questions

• You play a game where you roll a 100-sided die label with the numbers 1-100. You can either get paid the amount rolled in dollars or pay a dollar to roll again. You can always elect to pay another dollar to roll again, until you're finally satisfied with your current roll and get paid out based on that.

What's the optimal strategy for this game and what's your expected winnings given this strategy?   4 Answers

Assistant Trader Interview

Interview

Does anyone know if they give you another chance to interview if you got rejected in round 3? I made some stupid mistakes in my interview but still think I can do a lot better with some practice. Any feedback would be great.

Interview Questions

• Play a game with an urn. 75 blue balls. 25 red balls. 1 yellow ball. you get a dollar for every red and if you select the yellow you lose everything. what should be your strategy in the game. you can choose to stop or re-draw after every ball.   3 Answers

Assistant Trader Interview

Interview

mental math and brainteasers

Interview Questions

• A tosses n+1 coins. B tosses n coins. B wins if he has at least as many heads as A. What is the probability that B wins?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in December 2012.

Interview

Underwent 3 interviews and voluntarily discontinued my candidacy. All quantitative questions. There wasn't a single question about my background or "Tell me about your experience here and how can you apply that here". None of that. I learned quickly that it was not the kind of firm I cared to work for.

Assistant Trader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Went to a career fair at MIT. Wasn't a problem that I was a BU student sitting in on the presentation. Made sure to make an impression on the speaker and he made sure I was on the first round list. Pretty easy questions, just mental math, probability and bayes theorem.

For some reason, I feel they were a little more pretentious than some of the other prop trading firms out there.

Interview Questions

• What's the expected value of a dice roll?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Jane Street (Cambridge, MA) in October 2012.

Interview

Got in touch through on-campus interview, had the first two rounds within 48h one from the other. For the first round, I was not allowed to use paper and after some mental calculation questions I was asked a couple of brainteasers. For the second round, I was allowed paper and was asked two brainteasers. Both interviewers were young, very nice people. Both ex math-olympians.

Got a polite message informing me that the firm was not interested in continuing the process with me.

Interview Questions

• Computing an expectation that involved several fractions with denominator 32 in my head   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in November 2009.

Interview

Long process: 1 in person + 4 phone interviews + full day on-site for final round (6 more interviews). Lots of quantitative questions, typically related to probability. Also spent a lot of time testing confidence in answers by forcing interviewee to make bets based on his confidence. Final day at offices in New York involves giving interviewee a stack of poker chips and forcing him to gamble them on various bets proposed by interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Make me a 2-point wide market on the chance that a randomly selected number between 1 and 100 does not contain a 7.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in October 2009.

Interview

pretty upfront. math questions from the start. they know exactly what they want and they don't beat around the bush.

Interview Questions

• Flip 3 fair coins. What is the probability of all three coming up heads?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in January 2010.

Interview

They called me for a phone interview, and asked me math questions for a half hour. It was extremely difficult.

Interview Questions

• What is 75 squared? You have ten seconds and cannot use pen or paper.   2 Answers