Jane Street Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Jane Street Intern Interview Questions

Updated May 11, 2017

3.7

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Wonderful people, difficult but intriguing questions, probably one of the most fun interviews I've had. Tests your probability intuition as well as quantitative intuition in general. Highly recommend interviewing !

Interview Questions

• expected value, betting question, question about apples along a road   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Jane Street

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online. There are 5 rounds of interviews, and I am currently in the 3rd round. They ask a lot of mental maths problems, mostly coin flipping games. The interviewers were very friendly and I learned a lot during these interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Was asked if I wanted to take an online interview rather than a in person interview for first round. I elected to take the online interview. It was fairly easy, but I wasn't sure what to put down given the time constraints (a few slightly complex probability/expected value type questions in 30 minutes)

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Jane Street in October 2016.

Interview

Had a phone interview with some questions. Was not allowed to use paper and pencil. Had to talk through my thinking process. They did not give feedback if I was right or wrong.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online to the Software Developer role, they said I may be better suited to a Trading role.The process took 2 weeks. Interviewer was really great, he gave hints and was really helpful

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Jane Street in August 2016.

Interview

I applied online. A week later I was asked to do a phone interview. The interviewer called me from the NYSE floor. He was friendly. The interview consisted of 3 math questions and then I got to ask him questions about the firm. The interview lasted 25 minutes.

Interview Questions

• I'm thinking of an integer with no 0s or 1s. When you multiply all the digits of the number together, you get 10,000. What is the largest number I could be thinking of? The smallest such number?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Jane Street (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

Got a phone call from a trader, who explained the selection process. Gave 10-15 minutes for 2 probability questions. Guided me as I tried to think about them. Asked my process. Asked the probability of my getting the questions right. Said sounds good. Was generally a little curt. Told me I got the questions right, and said HR would get back to me.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

First round I took a half hour online test which had some pretty easy conditional probability and expected value questions. Second round I had a phone interview with a trader, which took about an hour. I stumbled on one of the questions second round, and did not move on past that point.

Interview Questions

• Three coins are in a bag. The first coin flips heads with probability 50%, the second coin flips heads with probability 60%, and the third coin flips heads with probability 70%. I pull out a coin and flip heads. If I flip this coin again, what is the probability I will get heads?   8 Answers

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

First round phone screen. A couple fit questions and then three math puzzles, of increasing difficulty. Third math puzzle was very hard and I could not solve it, unfortuantely. Did not receive a callback.

Interview Questions

• Fit questions: Why do you want to be a trader? Why should/shouldn't we hire you?
      Math:
      1. Flip a fair coin 8 times. What's the probability that the number of heads is a multiple of 3?
      2. You mentioned on your resume that your favorite author is David Foster Wallace. Estimate the number of copies of Infinite Jest that have been read cover to cover.
      3. You have a 2x1x1 brick. Define the distance between two points on the brick to be the infimum of the lengths of all paths between them on the brick. What is the maximum possible distance between two points on the brick?
      17 Answers

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Quick, to the point, not many behavioral questions. Seems like a company with great people. The interviewer is really nice but I was so nervous so I didn't nail it.