Jane Street Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Jane Street Intern Interview Questions

Interviews at Jane Street

3.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (Durham, NC) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied online, got a phone interview within a week scheduled for 3 weeks later. Interview went alright, the interviewer was very nice and guided me through the questions when I struggled. Overall good experience even though I didn't make it.

Interview Questions

• Expected value of number of heads if you flip 4 coins and can flip over any pair of two tails.   5 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Jane Street

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Very fast. I applied and it took less than 24 hours for a recruiter to reach out. Sounded like would immediately get a phone interview but slapped with a pre-activity.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Applied to be a Trading Intern online and received a technical phone interview. Just did a few probability problems with my interviewer over the phone. Interviewer was very nice and helpful whenever I was stuck and gave tips on how to work on the problems.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street in December 2013.

Interview

Applied online, received phone interview within 2 weeks. First round was mental math (37 squared, 4% of 97, etc) as well as some probability/expected value problems. They also ask you how confident you are about answering 4/4 questions right, 3/4 questions right, 2/4 questions right, etc. Received a second round with even more probability, but much harder.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Applied online and received a response very quickly to set up an interview. The interview was a 30 minute phone interview and was all quantitative. A bunch of mental math questions. 1 million minus 111, 4 percent of 97, 42 squared. Then I was asked how confident I was asked getting all 3 right, 2 out of 3 right, and 1 out of 3 right (giving percentages). Then I was asked which question do I think I most likely got wrong and how confident I was that I got that one right. This answer was supposed to agree with the 1st 3 percentages I had stated.
    Afterwards got a cube dipped in paint question. and a flip a coin 4 times and get a dollar for each heads. What is the expected value of the game if I am allowed infinite tries.

Interview Questions

• The confidence question. I didn't know how to agree my confidence percentages.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

Applied online and heard back within about a week. Good communication; had to demonstrate excellent knowledge of excel and mathematical skills. I did not receive an offer in the end but would be happy to apply again. Have heard great things.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

I applied online and received an email the next day about setting up a phone interview. The first one was mostly mental math and was average. They contacted me after about a week to set up a second interview, which had more probability and expected value questions that required more thought. After about a week or so, they contacted me again for a third interview, which lasted about an hour and was a really interesting question that was more related to their work. The interviewers were all really nice.

Interview Questions

• The questions all tested your critical thinking abilities, and the most difficult one was probably the 3rd interview.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

I started with an on campus interview, the question asked was fairly standard, involved trees and their space and time complexity. Then proceeded to two rounds of phone interviews, both had technical questions that were not that difficult to implement but required some deeper thinking to implement well. Overall the experience was fine, though the process is very difficult as they are very selective with who they hire.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were too difficult, just attention to detail is important   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

Difficult, a lot of brain teasers. There are a lot of quantitative and probability math problems that I would have expected in an AMC test than a trading interview. You definitely have a good advantage if you've done competitive math before, as though the math problems are difficult, they are near trivial for people who've done those kinds of problems before.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

On-campus presentation, online application. Found out through email to sign up for on-campus first round interview. I did not progress past this stage, though I have heard that if the first round goes well, you proceed to at least two more rounds. Questions were all mental math and probability and became harder with each subsequent question.

Interview Questions

• Play a game where you roll a die: what's the expected value? What if you can roll twice and either keep first roll or have to keep second roll? What about three rolls or infinite rolls?   2 Answers